Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 17, 8:41 am, Kimosabe wrote:
Sawstop shown in Time Warp photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=E3mzhvMgrLE&NR=1

Okay already...we know it works.
But what I am hearing, from all over, is that it is an exceptional
piece of equipment as a saw.
Right up there with General 650 etc.

A 'TRUE' endorsement of the builder's confidence would be if he were
to demo it with his dick.
THAT would be cringe-worthy... after all, he's got ten fingers.....

Impossible!

Let me ask/tell you something here, where are you going to find anything but
a limp weiner to face the spinning blade. I think even the most inflated
ego would soon result in a deflated weiner regardless of which d'erection it
approached a spinning saw blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger, he
soaks in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a
dry finger.

IIR when you get cut the wound instantly becomes moist. IIRC there never
has been a claim of getting off "scott free" with out a nick. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/19/2011 10:14 PM, CW wrote:

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger, he soaks
in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a dry
finger.

Doesn't it use capacitance as the switch mechanism?

With capacitance touch switches a dry finger shouldn't make much
practical difference, otherwise you would not get a stylus to work
effectively on a capacitance touch screen.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
IIR when you get cut the wound instantly becomes moist. IIRC there never
has been a claim of getting off "scott free" with out a nick. ;~)

Another thought I've had comes to testing it out. I know a finger is the
optimal testing body part, but if I was going to test it out just for
myself, I'd use the side of my arm. Less nerves present and certainly less
pain on a fleshy skin surface.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
On 1/19/2011 10:14 PM, CW wrote:

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger, he
soaks
in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a dry
finger.

Doesn't it use capacitance as the switch mechanism?

With capacitance touch switches a dry finger shouldn't make much
practical difference, otherwise you would not get a stylus to work
effectively on a capacitance touch screen.

The question then is why doesn't it trip on dry lumber and there's the
override for using it with PT lumber that is wet?

I'm on slow connection so hadn't tried to see the demo as bandwidth
makes it too painful--did he actually wet the finger before the test in
the demo? That's telling if so that wanted to be _real_sure_now_ (tm)
I'd think if so...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2011 9:33 AM, dpb wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/19/2011 10:14 PM, CW wrote:

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger,
he soaks
in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a dry
finger.

Doesn't it use capacitance as the switch mechanism?

With capacitance touch switches a dry finger shouldn't make much
practical difference, otherwise you would not get a stylus to work
effectively on a capacitance touch screen.

The question then is why doesn't it trip on dry lumber and there's the
override for using it with PT lumber that is wet?

Something about moisture content increasing the lumbers dialectric
properties (involving dielectric constant) as an insulator and affecting
the ultimate "capacitance" of the human body and the blade as conductors??

Shheeeesh ... haven't taken physics in almost 50 years and "capacitance"
was one of those properties that you thought you had a handle on until
you tried to expound on what you thought you knew (and nothing,
apparently, has changed in the interim). :-)

I do remember that it was always the exact opposite of intuitive,
especially when using an example like the capacitance of the human body,
and a door knob, as conductors generating a spark when being separated
by a dielectric medium like "dry" air, and why it changed with "moist" air.

I'm on slow connection so hadn't tried to see the demo as bandwidth
makes it too painful--did he actually wet the finger before the test in
the demo? That's telling if so that wanted to be _real_sure_now_ (tm)
I'd think if so...

I may have actually missed that test question, so I give up too

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
On 1/19/2011 10:14 PM, CW wrote:

Hot dogs are pretty moist. When he demonstrated it with his finger, he
soaks
in water first. When woodworking, my hands get dry as a bone. Try a dry
finger.

Doesn't it use capacitance as the switch mechanism?

With capacitance touch switches a dry finger shouldn't make much
practical difference, otherwise you would not get a stylus to work
effectively on a capacitance touch screen.

The question then is why doesn't it trip on dry lumber and there's the
override for using it with PT lumber that is wet?

I'm on slow connection so hadn't tried to see the demo as bandwidth makes
it too painful--did he actually wet the finger before the test in the
demo? That's telling if so that wanted to be _real_sure_now_ (tm) I'd
think if so...

--

Not only wets it, he soaks it in cold water.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Swingman wrote:
On 1/20/2011 9:33 AM, dpb wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 1/19/2011 10:14 PM, CW wrote:

[...]

Never did touch on the specifics of the body capacitance so I don't have
a feel at all on it; wasn't in the NE curriculum...

It is related to the makeup of the body tissue which is mostly water I'm
pretty certain, but afaik it is not dependent on actual moisture on the
surface (altho I'm certain that would undoubtedly increase the sensitivity).

AFAIK, the touch screens are active, not passive sensors...

I did a little (as in very little ) search for some internet physics
that could be applicable but found nothing of any real value--the
wikipedia articles on related subjects are subs only and very poor ones
at that. A couple of the proximity sensor data sheets were pretty good
on the active sensors, but didn't find anything on a passive sensor that
seemed as if might be something similar to the Sawstop technology...

'Tis still a puzzle --

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy..." -- Will the Speare

pretty well summed it up...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 19, 11:01*am, Sonny wrote:
Interesting observation, though. *Which finger would someone pick to
lose if they had to lose one? *I'm guessing pretty much everyone would
pick the pinky.*

* *Good grief - my spellchecker just flagged pinky.

The (pinky, pinkie?) 5th carpal digit is the strongest grasping
finger. *Grab your (opposite) thumb and squeeze with each 5th, 4th and
3rd digit, individually, and see which applies the most force. *The
pinky is a keeper, even for your lesser dominant hand.

Sonny

The pinky gives your right hand something to rest on
the banjo head.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/20/2011 4:48 PM, Father Haskell wrote:

The pinky gives your right hand something to rest on
the banjo head.

Earl uses both ring and pinky ...

www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Let me ask/tell you something here, where are you going to find anything
but
a limp weiner to face the spinning blade. I think even the most inflated
ego would soon result in a deflated weiner regardless of which d'erection
it approached a spinning saw blade.

Shoot, an out-ie might even turn into an in-ie!
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote

Surely by now we have some real-world accounts of how the Saw-Stop has
saved somebody from serious harm? Or do we only have demos to reassure
us?

I had read some accounts from people who really slipped. They related an
1/8" cut needing only a bandaid for first aid.
--
Jim in NC