Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Don't buy Green Paint Thinner

Working on a mantel for a customer and the plan was to paint it with enamel.
Well I live in Environmentally Friendly California and the only Oil Base
paints sold are those crappy Alkyd Paints, which I hear after Jan.1 no oil
base paints will be sold here. Went to Dunn-Edwards who I'm told have some
of the best paints, picked up some Oil Based Primer, Alkyd Semi Gloss
Enamel, and the only substitute for Mineral Spirits sold in the store,
"Green Envy" paint thinner. This crap actually made the paint thicker! I
thought it was my gun at first after thinning it more then I thought I
should.
It took forever to spray this piece. Went down to Home Depot and bought some
Mineral Spirits, and thinned it properly and all went well except for some
orange peel. Sanded it when dry and used the Mineral Spirits with the White
Alkyd Semi Gloss Enamel. I just could not believe the time I wasted with
this "Green ****" thanks to the Liberal Asshole Politicians in this
Environmentally Friendly Sinking Fast State. They say so goes California so
goes the Nation. God Help you, he has abandoned me!

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has had
to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California
Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and
still enjoy this weather?

Rich
I will post pics on my website when complete
http://rentmyhusband.biz/
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2010 7:35 PM, Rich wrote:

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has had
to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California
Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and
still enjoy this weather?

I got mine (Certified Renovator certificate earlier this year), and I'm
not a painter ... I just didn't want to be held up by one via government
edict.

Nothing personal, but please stay out of Texas, we're full of these
****heads who move here, then agitate to change the laws to what they've
been brainwas.. led to believe.

kidding, of course ... thanks!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
[...]

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot or
too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around us or
are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski area.
Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until I die. ww
http://rentmyhusband.biz/
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot or
too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around us
or are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski
area. Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until I
die. ww

Read my mind. Thought about Durango, Co. or there abouts

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

On 12/30/2010 7:35 PM, Rich wrote:

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has
had to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California
Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and
still enjoy this weather?

I got mine (Certified Renovator certificate earlier this year), and I'm
not a painter ... I just didn't want to be held up by one via government
edict.

Nothing personal, but please stay out of Texas, we're full of these
****heads who move here, then agitate to change the laws to what they've
been brainwas.. led to believe.

kidding, of course ... thanks!

hahaha, Hey I'm one of the good guys..
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
WW wrote:

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot
or
too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around us
or are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski
area. Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until I
die. ww

Read my mind. Thought about Durango, Co. or there abouts

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City.
Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is
Monarch to the west... WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City.
Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is
Monarch to the west... WW

Use to live in Colorado. Englewood, which I went back to while vacationing
through Colorado. I didn't even recognize it! Use to live in Georgetown and
Silver Plume when I was on the Ski Patrol at Loveland. Also had a summer
house in Lake Grandby. Know Canon City well and have been over Monarch Pass
many times. Have skied most areas in CO but my favorite ski area in CO is
Telluride. All time favorites Atla and Snowbird, UTAH!!!!

I know its cold in Durango and gets lots of snow but I just love that town.
Would love to restore one of those 1880's Victorians, besides it close to
Wolf Creek Pass Ski Area and not to mention Telluride!!! Can you tell I love
POWDER??????

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:
BTW the name of that crap Paint Thinner, Green Envy! How Ironic

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"WW" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message
WW wrote:

Rich. I live in the best place. Banana belt of Colorado. Seldom too hot
or
too cold. Small town. Next to the foot hills. Storms usually go around
us
or are very light. Lots of motorcycle trails. 70 miles to a great ski
area. Very friendly people. Lots of fishing areas. Will stay here until
die. ww

Read my mind. Thought about Durango, Co. or there abouts

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City.
Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is
Monarch to the west... WW

Putting that out on the net might not have been a good idea.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 12/30/2010 7:35 PM, Rich wrote:
I just could not believe the time I wasted with
this "Green ****" thanks to the Liberal Asshole Politicians in this
Environmentally Friendly Sinking Fast State. They say so goes California so
goes the Nation. God Help you, he has abandoned me!

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he has had
to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his California
Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where can I move and
still enjoy this weather?

Rich

There is property available in Love Canal neighborhood. Perhaps you
would appreciate the sort of politicians that were responsible for that.

Me, me, me, I want it all and I want it now. Screw my children,
grandchildren and all the tree hugging Liberals.

Those assholes are trying to protect your future despite your
ignorance. If it were up to the other end of the political spectrum we
would all be living in a sewer.

Some believe God created the Garden of Eden. There's no debating who's
turning it into a cesspool? Think about what side of the
environmental issues your God would be on before you decide to speak
for him.

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:

[...]

Screw you Take this Green Paint Thinner and shove it up your ASS along with
all the other crap you want to force up my ass.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:
Working on a mantel for a customer and the plan was to paint it with enamel.
Well I live in Environmentally Friendly California and the only Oil Base
paints sold are those crappy Alkyd Paints, which I hear after Jan.1 no oil
base paints will be sold here. Went to Dunn-Edwards who I'm told have some
of the best paints, picked up some Oil Based Primer, Alkyd Semi Gloss
Enamel, and the only substitute for Mineral Spirits sold in the store,
"Green Envy" paint thinner. This crap actually made the paint thicker! I
thought it was my gun at first after thinning it more then I thought I
should.

And don't eat the yellow snow.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never confuse endurance with hospitality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

WW wrote:
Snip

Durango gets LOTS of snow. I should have mention the town. Canon City.
Pronounced Canyon City . 35 miles west of Pueblo and the ski area is
Monarch to the west... WW

Spent the night in Canon City once. Lovely little town!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Never confuse endurance with hospitality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:
[...]

It's for the CHILDREN, you devil!.

Posted to rec.woodworking

LdB wrote:
On 12/30/2010 7:35 PM, Rich wrote:
I just could not believe the time I wasted with
this "Green ****" thanks to the Liberal Asshole Politicians in this
Environmentally Friendly Sinking Fast State. They say so goes
California so goes the Nation. God Help you, he has abandoned me!

One other thing, have a friend who is a professional painter and he
has had to go get his Lead Paint Certificate in order to keep his
California Contractors License. One Regulation after another. Where
can I move and still enjoy this weather?

Rich

There is property available in Love Canal neighborhood. Perhaps you
would appreciate the sort of politicians that were responsible for
that.
Me, me, me, I want it all and I want it now. Screw my children,
grandchildren and all the tree hugging Liberals.

So, as a "tree hugging liberal" can you and your children live your entire
lives without the benefits that industrialisation can give?

E.G. No steel, or other refined metals, no refined carbon based fuels or
lubricating oils, no metal tools, no means of preserving fresh foods or in
fact no cheap foods, no mechanically recovered or processed foods (thing
burgers and hot dogs as an American), no electricity to run your home,
business or hospitals (remember you'll have no refined metals to produce the
generators (or even the machines to dig the ores out), no method of keeping
your house warm etc, etc, etc. And that is the life of the true tree
hugger....and you can stick that where....

Those assholes are trying to protect your future despite your
ignorance. If it were up to the other end of the political spectrum we
would all be living in a sewer.

The true "assholes" are the industries that literally 'rape' the earth of as
much as possible for sheer monetary profit and the power that money gives -
and American businessmen need to closely look at themselves for that. Along
with "tree huggers" who want to return the human race back into caves and
hunter gatherers - just to try and 'save' a planet that is going through a
natural phase of weather that it has gone through many times over millions
of years.

And as you are aware, that cycle was around even before the time of the
human race.

Some believe God created the Garden of Eden.

There is no "God" nor "Garden of Eden" in a biblical sense - those are just
a belief in the minds of many.

There's no debating who's turning it into a cesspool?

Nature itself is doing that as part of a natural cleaning process (she did
with with the dinosaurs etc) - and she's now doing it with human race (but I
agree that this time, the human race is helping her just a small bit).

Think about what side of the
environmental issues your God would be on before you decide to speak
for him.

There is no God to speak for anyone or to speak to, your belief in such
thing rests in your head - along with the so-called "environmental issues"
that governments and industrialists use to increase the taxes they collect
from the proles for their own nefarious purposes

If there was a benevolent God as you like to believe, then surely the human
race would have turned out far better than the pack of rabid, cruel, greedy
fetid and thuggish animals that we are?

I'm afraid that if you still wish to lead a life of relative ease with all
its little extras such as cars, electricity, reasonable health and life
span - and be able to spout the tree-hugger bile on the internet, then you
will have to accept that nuclear energy and the 'rape' of the earth's
materials will have to take place - and just hope The Day After Tomorrow
holds off long enough for man to find a way to survive when (not if) it
hits.

Good night, and have a very happy and prosperous new year - and don't worry
about polluting the atmosphere with the methane gas you produce from the
celebrations that you will hold tonight. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LdB" wrote in message
news

Me, me, me, I want it all and I want it now. Screw my children,
grandchildren and all the tree hugging Liberals.

Those assholes are trying to protect your future despite your ignorance.
If it were up to the other end of the political spectrum we would all be
living in a sewer.

Some believe God created the Garden of Eden. There's no debating who's
turning it into a cesspool? Think about what side of the environmental
issues your God would be on before you decide to speak for him.

Plonk you ****ing scum sucking idiot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
http://rentmyhusband.biz/

It's for the CHILDREN, you devil!.

I taught my children how to shoot. That way, when we have to start killing
politicians to make the rest of them listen, they can hit what they aim at.
Conservation you know. Wouldn't want to waste bullets.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:23:35 +0000, Disbelief wrote:

So, as a "tree hugging liberal" can you and your children live your
entire lives without the benefits that industrialisation can give?

E.G. No steel, or other refined metals, no refined carbon based fuels
or lubricating oils,

Steel was being made in India by 300BC and swords were made of it in the
Middle East by about 1100AD. Long time before industrialization.

We'd all be better off without petroleum.

no metal tools,

that of course is pure BS - see above.

no means of preserving fresh foods

Isn't it amazing how our ancestors survived the winters!

or in fact no cheap foods, no mechanically recovered or processed foods
(thing burgers and hot dogs as an American),

No obesity, clogged arteries, etc?

no electricity to run your
home, business or hospitals

OK, I'll give you that one, but no one knows what might have taken its
place if we hadn't industrialized.

no
method of keeping your house warm etc, etc, etc.

Once again, seems our ancestors managed :-).

Since you like to talk in extremes, here's a few more for you to think
about.

If no industrialization:

No nuclear weapons.
No nerve gas.
No way for epidemics to spread worldwide.
No smog.
No acid rain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 8:35*pm, Rich wrote:
[...]

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

No you are right. Someday I would just like to ask someone for something and
they give me what I asked for. I asked for Mineral Spirits and she told me
they don't carry it any longer. This Green Envy **** was the new substitute
for it, is what she told me. Live and learn. I learned a lot on this
project. And wasted a lot of time. Won't make that mistake next time.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I won't!

Its amazing I have made it this far. My God, no helmet when riding a bike,
motorcycle or skiing. No knee pads when walking down the street. I climbed
trees when I was younger how on earth did I survive? Drove field cars until
we crashed them and then did the environmentally sound thing, buried them
with a back hoe. Wow, what would they say these days. I could probably be
brought up on charges. Reckless endangerment of the Earth, oh my! Seems most
of us are/were getting along fairly well without all these Pin Head
Regulations. Yes please use Common Sense and do your part to try to make it
at least better or the same as you found it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
http://rentmyhusband.biz/

It's for the CHILDREN, you devil!.

I taught my children how to shoot. That way, when we have to start
killing politicians to make the rest of them listen, they can hit
what they aim at. Conservation you know. Wouldn't want to waste
bullets.

Ah, but are you supplying the children with wooden (or other biodegradables
such as paper mache or reusables like stone) ammunition?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

Can you buy turpentine in California? Probably can, since it's 100% natural
(like belladona or opium).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:23:35 +0000, Disbelief wrote:

So, as a "tree hugging liberal" can you and your children live your
entire lives without the benefits that industrialisation can give?

E.G. No steel, or other refined metals, no refined carbon based
fuels or lubricating oils,

Steel was being made in India by 300BC and swords were made of it in
the Middle East by about 1100AD. Long time before industrialization.

Yep in very small quantities and 'beaten' to get the hardness and was only
available to the very few - industrialisation has given you the ease of life
you live today.

We'd all be better off without petroleum.

Well you'd certainly have a problem with the lack of plastic that is now
essential in today's world - along with a lot of other commodities. And
perhaps the lack of petroleum might make America a thinner, healthier nation
when you have to walk everywhere. :-)

Not bull****. see above.

no means of preserving fresh foods

Isn't it amazing how our ancestors survived the winters!

The majority didn't, they starved in times of famine and drought - just pop
across to Africa and have a look at the process that is still going on today
and which you are very well insulated from.

or in fact no cheap foods, no mechanically recovered or processed
foods (thing burgers and hot dogs as an American),

No obesity, clogged arteries, etc?

As presumably you are an American, and you would know all about that from
living in a country with the worlds 'fattest' population. LOL

no electricity to run your
home, business or hospitals

OK, I'll give you that one, but no one knows what might have taken its
place if we hadn't industrialized.

Nothing, without the common, precious and rare earth metals that are being
raped in vast quantities from the earth -- and the industrialisation to
process them into bearing, wires, housings etc,

no
method of keeping your house warm etc, etc, etc.

Once again, seems our ancestors managed :-).

Funny that winters were the biggest killers of our ancestors (apart from
disease and famine) - and rather difficult to insulate a cave.

Since you like to talk in extremes, here's a few more for you to think
about.

I'm not talking in extremes, I'm talking in fact - if there were no
industrialisation as it stands now, the population of this earth would be
(at a guess) 75% less than it is now and struggling with even the basics of
life.

If no industrialization:

No nuclear weapons.

Good! Apart from the nuclear power plants that will be needed to keep life
going as it is now.

No nerve gas.

Not sure where that one came from - but I agree.

No way for epidemics to spread worldwide.

Funny how plagues spread over continents in the past then - perhaps walking
had something to do with that!

No smog.

Wouldn't be enough of the human race about to burn the fuel that made the
smog and acid rain.

Now what the human race wants to live comfortably and peaceably is:

Get rid of::::: all tree huggers and do-gooders, politicians, governments,
taxes, religion, military might and weapons, money, marriage -- and
hydrogenated fats!!

Have more of:::::: co-operation, neighbourliness, sharing, free love and
plenty of *free* food, housing, wood and machines for the carpenters and
joiners along with ---- free petrol for the old cars!!

Now that's true industrialisation and bloody *UTOPIA* !!!!!!!!

ROTFL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 00:54:46 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 23:23:35 +0000, Disbelief wrote:

So, as a "tree hugging liberal" can you and your children live your
entire lives without the benefits that industrialisation can give?

E.G. No steel, or other refined metals, no refined carbon based fuels
or lubricating oils,

Steel was being made in India by 300BC and swords were made of it in the
Middle East by about 1100AD. Long time before industrialization.

We'd all be better off without petroleum.

Ooh! Tell us how, please. We'd lose most synthetic clothing, inks,
plastics,

Since you like to talk in extremes, here's a few more for you to think

"here are"

about.

If no industrialization:

No nuclear weapons.
No nerve gas.

Tons of death, rape, and brutality from rampant warlords. No
widespread medical breakthroughs, higher infant death rate, much
earlier mortality rate, etc. Not for the weak of heart.

No way for epidemics to spread worldwide.

The yersinia pestis seemed to travel around just fine, hiking on rats
onto ships onto different shores, or in carts or clothes.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ague_map_2.png
Asia, Europe, and Africa are shown on this map, no local thing.

No smog.
No acid rain.

No USENET! (hmm, no Clifftroll...) OK, 1 benefit.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 16:43:52 -0800, CW wrote:

Plonk you ****ing scum sucking idiot.

I suspect that rant will get *you* plonked by a lot more people than will
plonk the poster you are replying to. I'm one of them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Will it thin any other colours?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 9:51*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

Can you buy turpentine in California? Probably can, since it's 100% natural
(like belladona or opium).

Honestly, you'd be better off with a hempseed oil-based
reducer, seeing how small kids like to chew on furniture.
Belladonna is a group of strong delirient alkaloids best
saved for grownups who have an appreciation for such
things.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 31 2010, 9:22*pm, Rich wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

No you are right. Someday I would just like to ask someone for something and
they give me what I asked for. I asked for Mineral Spirits and she told me
they don't carry it any longer. This Green Envy **** was the new substitute
for it, is what she told me. Live and learn. I learned a lot on this
project. And wasted a lot of time. Won't make that mistake next time.

She didn't know a reducer from a cleanup, because most
people don't know finishing, and the only job qualification
she had was passing a urine test.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:22:35 -0800, Rich wrote:

Father Haskell wrote:

Green Envy is apprently a cleanup solvent, not a reducer. You
should have tested it first since you never used it before --
standard
practice in finishing. That, or go straight to turps, which works
great
except for the smell (which I'm told some people actually like).

No you are right. Someday I would just like to ask someone for something and
they give me what I asked for. I asked for Mineral Spirits and she told me
they don't carry it any longer. This Green Envy **** was the new substitute
for it, is what she told me. Live and learn. I learned a lot on this
project. And wasted a lot of time. Won't make that mistake next time.

The green alternative sold by Rockler is horrible too, and it's
marketed as a straight up replacement.

# Thins all colors of oil-based paint, stain, and varnish
# Cleans brushes, paint splatters and equipment
# Cleans and preps surfaces for finishing or painting

a) It's milky colored so you are not going to be putting it in a clear
finish
b) It's foamy, so you are not going to be putting it in, well,
anything
c) It's leaves a white residue if you wipe it on anything, so you
aren't going going to be using it for any prepping or checking how the
grain is going to look
d) It doesn't even work for cleanup. I spent 3-4 minutes trying to
get some finish off my hands. Came off in 10 seconds with the real
stuff.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Father Haskell wrote:

[...]

So much for the "green crap"!! Just like those curly fry light bulbs. Cost 4
times as much and if you drop one mercury spreads and attaches to your gold
false teeth, gold and silver rings watches and bracelets. Not to mention
someday most will end up in landfills where the Government will want 400
trillion dollar super fund to clean it up. What a bunch of ya who's...

Someone needs to put bounty's on Green Environmental Activists before they
take away toilet paper!

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 7:45*pm, Rich wrote:

So much for the "green crap"!! Just like those curly fry light bulbs. Cost 4
times as much and if you drop one mercury spreads and attaches to your gold
false teeth, gold and silver rings watches and bracelets. Not to mention
someday most will end up in landfills where the Government will want 400
trillion dollar super fund to clean it up. What a bunch of ya who's...

16/60 watt CFLs sell for $2.00 / 4 pack at HD. Less than
1 mg of Hg per bulb. The coal used to generate most of the
electricity in the U.S. is loaded with mercury. Incandescents
release more mercury into the environment, and that's not even
if they're broken.

The 26/100 watt daylight (5000 - 6500 K) CFLs are the current
standard for illuminating indoor marijuana gardens. At $4.00
per 2 pack, they're almost as cheap as the 60 watt replacements.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Jan 3, 7:45*pm, Rich wrote:

So much for the "green crap"!! Just like those curly fry light bulbs. Cost 4
times as much and if you drop one mercury spreads and attaches to your gold
false teeth, gold and silver rings watches and bracelets. Not to mention
someday most will end up in landfills where the Government will want 400
trillion dollar super fund to clean it up. What a bunch of ya who's...

16/60 watt CFLs sell for $2.00 / 4 pack at HD. Less than
1 mg of Hg per bulb. The coal used to generate most of the
electricity in the U.S. is loaded with mercury. Incandescents
release more mercury into the environment, and that's not even
if they're broken.

The 26/100 watt daylight (5000 - 6500 K) CFLs are the current
standard for illuminating indoor marijuana gardens. At $4.00
per 2 pack, they're almost as cheap as the 60 watt replacements.

An average household using 1 Megawatt hour of electricity per month (The
US average) contributes 1 Mg of Mercury (0.9299 mg to be exact) to the
environment each year for the electricity they use. So each light bulb
you toss is the equivalent of a whole year's worth of mercury emissions
from the use of electricity.

The power industry has cut emissions of mercury by more than 97 percent
in the last 20 years on a per megawatt hour of electricity generated.

You can run your own numbers using the data at EIA.GOV if you don't buy
my analysis.

I hope this helps. OBTW - that is about 15 tons of total mercury
released into the environment. Where does the mercury trapped at the
power plants and not released go? Into those CFLs you are buying. What
was a waste product of the power plants is now an input to another
manufacturing process.

New low Mercury and no mercury bulbs are on the way. They will just be
more expensive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 3, 10:50*pm, Doug Houseman wrote:
In article
,
*Father Haskell wrote:

On Jan 3, 7:45 pm, Rich wrote:

[...]

more expensive.- Hide quoted text -

They also use magnesium to chemically filter out sulfur,
which is resold to manufacture drywall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,

*Father Haskell wrote:

On Jan 3, 7:45 pm, Rich wrote:

[...]

Mostly they use limestone in the fluid beds, not magnesium in the US.
China uses limestone contaminated with magnesium, and did not collect
sulfur in a separate bag house, like the US does.

There are very strict rules here (and in Canada and the EU) on the
contaminates allowed in the gypsum that is created in the boilers.
Sulfur in the boiler gypsum is measured in single parts per billion,
magnesium showing up on a test will get limestone rejected from being
used, it will be routed to the local concrete ready mix instead.

Most of the bad stuff, ends up being recycled these days. Sulfur is
collected as sulfuric acid and sold to the chemical industry, meaning
they don't have to mine it and make it separately. Mercury is collected
and sold to the lighting and chemical industries, as well as the glass
plants. Clinkers are sold to make asphalt. Ash is sold to concrete
plants to replace sand, and so it goes. Roughly 95 percent of what went
up the stack or into the landfill in the 1970s is sold as an input to
another industry today.

If you are reading materials more than a few years old or derived from
older sources, then you get a skewed view of the power industry today.
Landfills cost money. So do the certificates that you have to buy (Cap
and Trade) for mercury, sulfur and other air pollutants. Ash ponds are a
huge liability, and so it goes. Power companies want to make profits,
any expense they can turn into revenue is a good thing. It also means
less waste in the landfills, air and water.