Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default mineral spirits vs paint thinner

Uno wrote:
When do you use one as opposed to the other?

Which should I use to thin polyurethane?

The container will instruct you as to what is compatible w/ the contents
therein.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2010 6:06 PM, Uno wrote:
When do you use one as opposed to the other?

Which should I use to thin polyurethane?

More or less interchangeable. Mineral spirits are used as paint
thinner. Something labeled paint thinner may have some higher boiling
additives and not dry as fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

If it was water
based you would thin it with water but I bet the OP knew that.

Although we did have an OP in here the other day who didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 8/30/2010 11:37 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
stuff snipped
I just read the can again and there is no sentence about what to thin
this with. It says to prepare surface by wiping it with a rag dampened
with mineral spirits. It says to clean up with mineral spirits or paint
thinner.

It's obviously oil-based.

When they tell you what to clean it up with, they're often telling you what
thins it. It certainly implies a solvent-relationship. But I wouldn't say
that's universally true, but it certainly aligns with DPB's comments about
the can.

Thx, bobby, because that's where I'm getting to.

I put on the second coat of exterior helmsman poly tonight.

sanded with 150 in my hand only

The can indicated to use mineral spirits for some aspect. I put just a
schluck of mineral spirits on a dry cloth to prepare the surface after
sanding.

3 coats exterior poly recommended. judy is gone for another week.

Why not give her a threshold that is maximally built-up in her absence?
(I don't want to tell her husband that I gave his threshold more than
4 coats because I didn't know to stop.)
--
Uno

Mineral Spirits? Sonny Woodworking 32 April 2nd 10 03:49 AM
Minwax Furniture Refinisher vs. alcahol/mineral spirits/lacquer thinner blueman Woodworking 8 March 6th 10 12:10 AM
Thinner or Mineral Spirits? Leon[_6_] Woodworking 25 November 3rd 09 04:08 AM
The difference between Thinner and Mineral Spirits, Revisited Leon[_6_] Woodworking 12 October 29th 09 07:25 PM
Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 9 December 6th 05 11:41 PM