Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The difference between Thinner and Mineral Spirits, Revisited

I posted comments about my painting experiences and how I have not enjoyed
using thinner to clean brushes, especially when returning to the task after
lunch.

I got a lot of answers as to how to deal with a brush soaked with thinner
however I was really looking for the differences in the two chemicals.
Thank you for your input. The friend that I work with does have a brush
spinner which he raved about several years ago for final cleaning but does
not use it during the work day. Actually I think he only uses it when for
the final, final cleaning, when he expects to put the brush up of a period
of time. Basically our brushes are wet 4-5 hours in the morning and an
equal time in the afternoon. The brushes need to be cleaned 2 to 3 times
daily any way so the suggestion of covering them for lunch does not solve
the cleaning problem that I have. I was aware of that tip however I find
cleaning to usually be pretty quick. I prefer to start again or refresh
periodically with a fresh brush.

Anyway, through several searches I have deducted that Mineral Spirits and
Paint Thinner are not the same in the same sense that Milk and Water are not
the same. Yes, paint thinner and milk both have mineral spirits and water
respectively but paint thinner and milk are both a bit more complex than
what are mostly composed of. What I have deducted is both paint thinner and
mineral spirits will both do the same thing however paint thinner as it's
name suggests works better as a paint thinner because of the "different"
additives that various manufacturers will add. Each has it's own "secret
recipe". For the same reason that thinner has mineral spirits and other
additives, mineral spirits is a more pure form of solvent.

What I strongly suspect is that mineral spirits actually does evaporate more
quickly than thinner, this would explain why I had no dripping going on
after cleaning the brushes with mineral spirits vs. paint thinner. It also
would stand to reason that paint thinner would have additives that
evaporate more slowly so that it would create a mixture that would remain
closer to the same viscosity through out the entire can of paint. With
mineral spirits used as a thinner I would highly suspect that an open can of
paint would probably need to be thinned more than once depending on how long
it takes to consume that amount of paint.

I also saw mentioned time and again that mineral spirits used alone is a
better degreaser/cleaning agent as it leaves less residue behind than paint
thinner. It is a better choice for cleaning petroleum distillates from most
mechanical equipment. It has been mentioned that mineral spirits is a
better choice than paint thinner to wipe on a surface, such as wood, to show
the grain. Paint thinner is going to leave more residue on the surface and
will, although very slightly, not show as true, the actual wood color.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon,

Thanks for the lesson. We rarely use oil based paint but I will keep it in
mind. I'll also try out some mineral spirits next time I do maintenance and
cleaning on the wife's Vespa.

I use the spinner at lunch time even on latex. When we return from lunch I
prefer a brush that is totally dry and ready to go. Keeping a brush wet all
day seems to diminish its performance.

Purdy, Wooster or other?

Craig

"Leon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

[...]

Use 2 brushes. Clean one to the max at lunch, fresh one for the
afternoon.
Even spinners, although a huge help, cannot dry the brush to the max.

Painting...I'm so damned fussy that I could never make a dime at it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cm" wrote in message
Leon,

Thanks for the lesson. We rarely use oil based paint but I will keep it in
mind. I'll also try out some mineral spirits next time I do maintenance
and cleaning on the wife's Vespa.

I use the spinner at lunch time even on latex. When we return from lunch I
prefer a brush that is totally dry and ready to go. Keeping a brush wet
all day seems to diminish its performance.

Purdy, Wooster or other?

Craig

Well and you probably already know this but a "water" wet natural brissle
brush is worthless. With water based and latex paints you always want to
use a syntehtic brush. Like you hair goes limp when you wash it, so does a
hatural brissle brush.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Oct 29, 9:41 am, "cm" wrote:
Leon,

Use 2 brushes. Clean one to the max at lunch, fresh one for the
afternoon.
Even spinners, although a huge help, cannot dry the brush to the max.

Painting...I'm so damned fussy that I could never make a dime at it.

LOL, well I am probably better than most at painting, but have over the
years learned to cut in with out the need for masking tape. I recall using
several rolls of it in years past, now 4 or 5 feet if we run across a house
with door knobs that already has paint on them from the previous jobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
Leon,

Thanks for the lesson. We rarely use oil based paint but I will keep it in
mind. I'll also try out some mineral spirits next time I do maintenance
and cleaning on the wife's Vespa.

I use the spinner at lunch time even on latex. When we return from lunch I
prefer a brush that is totally dry and ready to go. Keeping a brush wet
all day seems to diminish its performance.

Purdy, Wooster or other?

Craig

Well and you probably already know this but a "water" wet natural brissle
brush is worthless. With water based and latex paints you always want to
use a syntehtic brush. Like you hair goes limp when you wash it, so does a
hatural brissle brush.

Hair?
You forget the crowd in this group.

Got a better analogy?

--
Froz...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 29, 12:27*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Can't really say the word "limp" out loud here either.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
[...]

Well hey, I may not have a whole head of hair any more, but I got no problem in THAT arena*.
puffs muscles like a He-Man

*Yet. :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
Leon,

Thanks for the lesson. We rarely use oil based paint but I will keep it
in mind. I'll also try out some mineral spirits next time I do
maintenance and cleaning on the wife's Vespa.

I use the spinner at lunch time even on latex. When we return from lunch
I prefer a brush that is totally dry and ready to go. Keeping a brush
wet all day seems to diminish its performance.

Purdy, Wooster or other?

Craig

Well and you probably already know this but a "water" wet natural brissle
brush is worthless. With water based and latex paints you always want to
use a syntehtic brush. Like you hair goes limp when you wash it, so
does a hatural brissle brush.

Hair?
You forget the crowd in this group.

Got a better analogy?

;~) If you keep it trimmed your deck looks larger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Leon wrote:
"cm" wrote in message
[...]

Careful! you'll geta cramp doing that. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/29/2009 4:35 AM Leon spake thus:

I posted comments about my painting experiences and how I have not enjoyed
using thinner to clean brushes, especially when returning to the task after
lunch.

I got a lot of answers as to how to deal with a brush soaked with thinner
however I was really looking for the differences in the two chemicals.

Well, that is the crux of the matter, isn't it?

Don't want to add too much to this discussion except to say that yes,
there are different types of *paint* thinner (notice the qualifier), but
they're basically variations on a theme. They do have different
viscosities, evaporation rates, etc., but they're basically all similar
petroleum distilllates (mostly based on naphtha, I'd guess). They all
work about the same, although as you've discovered, some will evaporate
faster than others.

Just to clarify, based on some comments made in another thread by
Robatoy: yes, there are other kinds of thinners in the world, like
lacquer thinner and shellac thinner. However, these are different
critters from *paint* thinners, so we shouldn't confuse the issue by
including them in this discussion. For the most part, you really don't
want to use lacquer thinner (acetone, etc.) to clean a *paint* brush
(and vice versa). There are other solvents, like xylol and toluene, that
are also not normally used in thinning and cleaning paint.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Correct! common Paint Thinner is for "Oil Based" paints. There are other
specific thinners for different type finishes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
Can't really say the word "limp" out loud here either.

Well hey, I may not have a whole head of hair any more, but I got no
problem in THAT arena*. puffs muscles like a He-Man

*Yet. :-)

Careful! you'll geta cramp doing that. LOL

Too late! :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Thinner or Mineral Spirits? Leon[_6_] Woodworking 25 November 3rd 09 04:08 AM
mineral spirits Lee Woodworking 7 September 9th 07 12:34 PM
Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats [email protected] Woodworking 8 January 18th 07 05:46 PM
Differences between paint thinner and mineral spirits... Ken Moiarty Home Repair 9 December 6th 05 11:41 PM
Removing smell of mineral spirits [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 22nd 05 05:26 PM