Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is it OK ot mix brands of lacquer

My intuition is to never change brands in the middle of a painting / coating job - however
not sure if that applies to lacquer.

Specifically - first coat applied is Watco rattle can clear satin lacquer and will need
more to finish the final coats.

Am having difficulty finding Watco on the shelf locally - and would like to use Deft
rattle can clear satin to finish the job.

Appreciate any guidance from those that may have experience when trying this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/22/2010 8:36 PM, Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. wrote:
My intuition is to never change brands in the middle of a painting / coating job - however
not sure if that applies to lacquer.

Specifically - first coat applied is Watco rattle can clear satin lacquer and will need
more to finish the final coats.

Am having difficulty finding Watco on the shelf locally - and would like to use Deft
rattle can clear satin to finish the job.

Appreciate any guidance from those that may have experience when trying this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug

I can't say for _sure_ because I've never tried that exact scenario, but I
seriously doubt that it will cause a problem. Nitrocellulose lacquers are
pretty much all the same. To be clear (no pun intended), you *will* be simply
adding another _full_ topcoat of Deft to the entire piece, and not trying to
complete the job such that one part is Watco and the rest is Deft, correct?

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr." wrote in message
My intuition is to never change brands in the middle of a painting / coating job -

however
not sure if that applies to lacquer.

Specifically - first coat applied is Watco rattle can clear satin lacquer and will

need
more to finish the final coats.

Am having difficulty finding Watco on the shelf locally - and would like to use

Deft
rattle can clear satin to finish the job.

Appreciate any guidance from those that may have experience when trying this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug

I've not had any problems switching brands between coats. However I'd
be reluctant to switch mid coat in case of color or sheen differences.
I have also found that using satin for all the coats muddies up the grain so
I use gloss for the undercoats and just use satin for the top coat. This gives
me a much better result IMO. Your taste may vary.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Steve.

I should have been more specific - my plan is to apply coats of Deft over a complete and
dried coat of Watco lacquer - not changing brands in the same coat.

Now if the weather will just cooperate!

Regards,

Doug

Steve Turner wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Art.

Your guidance about using gloss for the undercoat makes sense - although I already have
applied a satin coat of the Watco product.

I understand that a new lacquer coat will melt into the previous coat - although have no
idea the result of applying gloss over satin and then finish with a satin coat.

Will try your recommendation the next time when starting with a sealed surface.

Regards,

Doug

"Artemus" wrote:

.. .

Lacquer or oil finish Floors UK diy 7 November 19th 09 09:21 PM
Lacquer or oil finish Floors UK diy 0 November 16th 09 08:01 PM
Wood Lacquer. Arthur 51[_3_] UK diy 1 May 23rd 09 05:45 PM
Lacquer Sandingdust Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 July 11th 08 05:41 AM
Nitrocellulose lacquer over an oil? Brent Woodworking 6 July 13th 07 07:58 AM