Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood Lacquer.

Hi al.
I have a solid pine display cabinet that I bought from argos a few years
ago.
It has what they call an antique pine lacquer finish and plain wooden knobs.
I want to give it a make over before selling it.
I can pick up some knobs on ebay but I want to give it a darker finish.
Do I have to remove the old lacquer before applying a darker colour?

Thnaks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2009 16:53:49 +0100, Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi al.
I have a solid pine display cabinet that I bought from argos a few years
ago.
It has what they call an antique pine lacquer finish and plain wooden knobs.
I want to give it a make over before selling it.
I can pick up some knobs on ebay but I want to give it a darker finish.
Do I have to remove the old lacquer before applying a darker colour?

I had some pine end-tables and sanded the whole lot down before
staining with some darker stain and re-lacquering. The sanding and
staining is easy, but the lacquer stage is a pain in the backside :-( End
result looks really nice, though...

Lacquer Sandingdust Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 July 11th 08 05:41 AM
paint vs lacquer? [email protected] Woodworking 16 December 29th 05 09:52 PM
Piano lacquer Jim Scott UK diy 16 November 4th 05 08:44 AM
Help regarding Lacquer Finishes SawDust Woodworking 4 December 5th 04 07:09 PM
Polyurethane VS Lacquer AlaJoe Woodworking 2 July 14th 03 02:32 AM