Junior Member

Location: Malaysia
Thumbs up Lacquer

I intended to apply lacquer as the top-coat of my small boxes & tools-box I made. I do not itend to stain them to maintain the original wood color. I do not own spray-gun system - I tried on some scraps by brushing. Beside the brush did not run smoothly, it left brush-marks when the coat dried.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
2. What causes the lacquer so sticky (tacky) is it too thick ?
3. Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or "mineral spirit"

Any advise are much appriciated.

P/s Sorry my English is not good.
Sandingdust
__________________
I just like learning. The more I learn, the more I know I am not good at anything...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Lacquer

"Sandingdust" wrote in message

I intended to apply lacquer as the top-coat of my small boxes &
tools-box I made. I do not itend to stain them to maintain the
original wood color. I do not own spray-gun system - I tried on some
scraps by brushing. Beside the brush did not run smoothly, it left
brush-marks when the coat dried.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
2. What causes the lacquer so sticky (tacky) is it too thick ?
3. Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or "mineral spirit"

Any advise are much appriciated.

P/s Sorry my English is not good.
Sandingdust

Not a finishing expert by any means, but when I need to lacquer small
parts/jobs I buy lacquer in a spray can. "Deft Spray Lacquer" Works very
well.

http://www.refinishfurniture.com/deft_lacquer.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Brushing lacquer is very "iffy" but I have had
some success with Deft. It dries "very" quickly
and can be slowed down with a lacquer retarder.
(I been down the brushing lacquer road)

For the size projects you are doing, spray cans
would be my choice of finish. You can get spray
lacquer at almost any hardware store or home center.

Another possible choice is a gel varnish. I have just
started using this product and it is a piece of cake
to apply.

Sandingdust wrote:
I intended to apply lacquer as the top-coat of my small boxes &
tools-box I made. I do not itend to stain them to maintain the
original wood color. I do not own spray-gun system - I tried on some
scraps by brushing. Beside the brush did not run smoothly, it left
brush-marks when the coat dried.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
2. What causes the lacquer so sticky (tacky) is it too thick ?
3. Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or "mineral spirit"

Any advise are much appriciated.

P/s Sorry my English is not good.
Sandingdust

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sandingdust wrote:
I intended to apply lacquer as the top-coat of my small boxes &
tools-box I made. I do not itend to stain them to maintain the
original wood color. I do not own spray-gun system - I tried on some
scraps by brushing. Beside the brush did not run smoothly, it left
brush-marks when the coat dried.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?

I wouldn't.

2. What causes the lacquer so sticky (tacky) is it too thick ?

The answer is twofold; the resin of which lacquer is comprised "dries"
very quickly, and the solvents needed to keep it in liquid state (mostly
acetone) evaporate very quickly.

3. Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or "mineral spirit"

Yes, you can thin it if you use the proper solvent; you must use
"lacquer thinner"; "paint thinner" or "mineral spirits" will not work.

Any advise are much appriciated.

My advice is the same as the other posters: do not try to brush
lacquer; spraying gives _much_ better results. The spray cans are a
fine alternative if you don't have spray equipment (and the job isn't
too big).

To reply, eat the taco.
Junior Member

Location: Malaysia

Thank you Steve, Pat and Swingman.

When I bought a can of lacquer, I didn't realize (not aware of) it's available in spray can.

Thank for advise

Sandingdust
__________________
I just like learning. The more I learn, the more I know I am not good at anything...

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I have had success brushing lacquer. The trick is to use a high-quality
natural bristle (china bristle) brush with feathered ends. I have had most
success with brushes that are cut on an angle, like the kind used for trim
work. Your work must be dust-free and you should wipe it down with clear
lacquer thinner and let it dry before applying lacquer. When you apply the
lacquer apply it in thin coats and brush the entire length of the work each
brush stroke. Don't go over it--it is self-leveling. Don't worry about
brush hairs or dust as you brush it on. You may get some drips and brush
strokes but after the lacquer dries they are easy to level off with very
fine sandpaper (start with 240. You can then re-sand with finer grits.
Lacquer works best when you build up several coats and sand between them.
Each successive coat goes on more smoothly because the surface below is
smoother.

Spraying is easier, but I'd suggest the same protocol between coats--sanding
and building up the finish.

Woody

"Sandingdust" wrote in message

I intended to apply lacquer as the top-coat of my small boxes &
tools-box I made. I do not itend to stain them to maintain the
original wood color. I do not own spray-gun system - I tried on some
scraps by brushing. Beside the brush did not run smoothly, it left
brush-marks when the coat dried.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
2. What causes the lacquer so sticky (tacky) is it too thick ?
3. Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or "mineral spirit"

Any advise are much appriciated.

P/s Sorry my English is not good.
Sandingdust

--
Sandingdust

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

One more comment regarding "Can I thin lacquer by adding "thinner" or
"mineral spirit" -
There are many different laquer thinners. Every manufacturer makes it
differently, and some make multiple varieties. best results are when
you get the laquer thinner that is designed for the laquer that you are
using. Incompatible thinners will make a real mess.

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
I heard that some manufacturers have a lacquer that is designed for
brushing - but I've never seen it.

Hope this helps.

Steve Turner:
Sandingdust wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Robert wrote:

Q : 1. Can I apply "lacquer" by brushing ?
I heard that some manufacturers have a lacquer that is designed for
brushing - but I've never seen it.

Deft, Behlen...
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Sandingdust wrote:
[...]

Firstly I would imagine some laquers are designed for brushing .as Barry
suggests.

nitrocellulose laquers are thinned with laquer thinners you suggested
..however even the slowest laquers thinned with the slowest laquer thinner
will still go off too fast for brushing .to slow the drying time you need to
add a laquer retarder.Adding this increases the drying time and should allow
the laquer to be brushed and allow time for the brush marks to dry out.

If you try and mix paint thinner or mineral spirits with laquer you will end
up with a white ball of cotton looking material.....mjh

Nitrocellulose lacquer over an oil? Brent Woodworking 6 July 13th 07 07:58 AM
Q: Reapplying Lacquer Mike Dembroge Woodworking 9 April 24th 06 07:47 PM
paint vs lacquer? [email protected] Woodworking 16 December 29th 05 09:52 PM
aeresol lacquer Vaughn Woodworking 10 March 3rd 05 04:24 PM
Polyurethane VS Lacquer AlaJoe Woodworking 2 July 14th 03 02:32 AM