Vaughn

Default aeresol lacquer

The poor man's clear coat:

I've used Rustoleum spray lacquer with excellent results but after a few
days - if I don't let it cure for at least a month - I get crazing/checking
in the finish. I polish the stuff up to 2000 grit then use 3M compounds and
glaze. Looks incredible but the checking is killing me! I'm doing this on
maple with water based analine dye, deft lacquer sanding sealer (aerosol)
and my question is...if I use deft aerosol lacquer will I have better
results? I've heard that the deft is actually nitro in a can with some
solids added, and others have said they don't have the crazing problems with
it. I just wanted to fish for other opinions.

Thanks!

B a r r y

Vaughn wrote:
The poor man's clear coat:

H. Behlen's Lacquers work great from a spray bomb.

You could also try a shellac barrier coat, like Seal Coat or Zinnser
spray-on clear, underneath the Rustoleum.

Barry
Vaughn

yeah, that's what I was thinking too but I have heard that the deft won't
give you that trouble with too much too fast. problem is, and I think it's
just a matter of me having to chill a bit, that I have demand to meet and
only one me to do the work and only so many hours in the evening to get the
work done. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming pleeeze!

"Rumpty" wrote in message
Too many coats too fast?

--

Rumpty

"Vaughn" wrote in message
The poor man's clear coat:

I've used Rustoleum spray lacquer with excellent results but after a few
days - if I don't let it cure for at least a month - I get

crazing/checking
in the finish. I polish the stuff up to 2000 grit then use 3M compounds

and
glaze. Looks incredible but the checking is killing me! I'm doing this

on
maple with water based analine dye, deft lacquer sanding sealer (aerosol)
and my question is...if I use deft aerosol lacquer will I have better
results? I've heard that the deft is actually nitro in a can with some
solids added, and others have said they don't have the crazing problems

with
it. I just wanted to fish for other opinions.

Thanks!

Mike Marlow

"Vaughn" wrote in message
The poor man's clear coat:

I've used Rustoleum spray lacquer with excellent results but after a few
days - if I don't let it cure for at least a month - I get

crazing/checking
in the finish.

How can it be excellent results if the finish checks? Checking in the
finish is an indicator of reaction between the coat you spray on and
whatever is beneath it. Rustoleum in particular is well known for very slow
drying times. The finish may seem to be hard to the touch, but can still be
bleeding solvents and that will cause nothing but problems. The first thing
I would do would be to use a different product than Rustoleum. I don't use
Rustoleum for anything, and I do a lot of painting. Try Plasticoat products
or Krylon products. And... make sure you are not mixing lacquers and
enamels on your different coats. Very bad mix.

I polish the stuff up to 2000 grit then use 3M compounds and
glaze. Looks incredible but the checking is killing me! I'm doing this

on
maple with water based analine dye, deft lacquer sanding sealer (aerosol)
and my question is...if I use deft aerosol lacquer will I have better
results? I've heard that the deft is actually nitro in a can with some
solids added, and others have said they don't have the crazing problems

with
it. I just wanted to fish for other opinions.

The best way to know this is to try it. Just to be rid of the Rustoleum
product in your process would be an accomplishment.
--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"Vaughn" wrote in message
yeah, that's what I was thinking too but I have heard that the deft won't
give you that trouble with too much too fast. problem is, and I think

it's
just a matter of me having to chill a bit, that I have demand to meet and
only one me to do the work and only so many hours in the evening to get

the
work done. Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming pleeeze!

Too many coats too fast will cause prolonged drying times, but they should
not cause drying times that are measured in days and even longer. One thing
I can assure you is that even though the schedule seems to breathe right
down your neck, everytime you rush it, push it, ignore the manufacturer's
advice, you end up with more time tacked on the project. Resist the
temptation to rush it and follow the manufacturer's instructions. You'll
come out better with respect to your schedule.

--

-Mike-

"Rumpty" wrote in message
Too many coats too fast?

--

Rumpty

Radial Arm Saw Forum:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/woodbutcher/start

"Vaughn" wrote in message
[...]

JLarsson

Vaughn wrote:
Too many coats too fast will cause prolonged drying times, but they

should
not cause drying times that are measured in days and even longer.

One
thing
I can assure you is that even though the schedule seems to breathe

right
down your neck, everytime you rush it, push it, ignore the

manufacturer's
advice, you end up with more time tacked on the project. Resist

the
temptation to rush it and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Words to live by!

Or die (dye?) beneath! 8^)