Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tormek's new drill bit sharpening attachment

I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-.../dp/B004AYCXVG
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tommyboy" wrote in message
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-.../dp/B004AYCXVG

Well, the Tormeck is an expensive machine. So it would make sense that it's
attachments would be expensive as well.

That said, it has a big wheel that moves slowly. I would imagine the
engineering and physics of a drill sharpening attachment would be different
than more traditional arrangements. Which may explain some of the hefty
price.

I don't think that very many people who are looking for something to sharpen
drill bits are going to run out and buy a Tormek. But I have seen some
expensive drill sharpeners for metal shops that do a first class job and
sharpen drills in volume. And the price would be similar to this setup or a
little less.

Soooo....., this seems to be an expensive accessory for the folks who
already own a Tormeck. After all, they have demonstrated an active interest
in sharpening things.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"tommyboy" wrote in message
[...]

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the Tomek
set up and for about half the price.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

Actually, the Drill Doctor does a better job. On the site they talk about a
4 facet point. The four facet point of the Tormek is inferior to the curved
facet grind of the Drill Doctor.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"tommyboy" wrote in message
[...]

A lot less than half.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tommyboy wrote:
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-.../dp/B004AYCXVG

I own a Tormek, so I'm on their email distribution list. I have most of the
accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd be
interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an awful
lot of drill bits...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tommyboy" wrote in message
[...]

What, youse guys can rationalize gazillions on bailouts and
Festerings, but can't spend a measly $600 on a stupid grinder?

nomex=ON

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
What, youse guys can rationalize gazillions on bailouts and
Festerings, but can't spend a measly $600 on a stupid grinder?

High price tags for the equipment and especially the price of $260 for the
sharpener attachment would come *after* it's gained a decent market share of
satisfied customers and supporting tool reviews. I doubt Leon is very
willing to be a cash up front guinea pig when it comes to developing that
market share.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
eb.com...

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

A lot less than half.

Max

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was not
the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=90

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , tommyboy
wrote:
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-.../dp/B004AYCXVG

I own a Tormek, so I'm on their email distribution list. I have most of
the
accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd
be
interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an
awful
lot of drill bits...

Me too, I have had the Tomek for about 10 years and bought the whole package
when it was about $800. Realistically the add on to sharpen bits is worth
about $75 IMHO.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:44 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
web.com...

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

A lot less than half.

Max

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was not
the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=90

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:44 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
aweb.com...

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

A lot less than half.

Max

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was
not
the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=90

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

--
The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings.
-- Okakura Kakuzo

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/10 1:21 PM, Leon wrote:
"Larry wrote in message
Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

A couple minutes with a vise and a triangle file can do wonders or most.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , lcb11211
@swbell.dotnet says...

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:44 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
aweb.com...

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

A lot less than half.

Max

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was
not
the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=90

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

For brad point you still need either a Darex or skillz. Never seen an
automated sharpener for Forstners, but they aren't all that hard to do
by hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 11:07*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

In article , tommyboy
wrote:
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-...tachment/dp/B0....

I own a Tormek, so I'm on their email distribution list. I have most of
the
accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd
be
interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an
awful
lot of drill bits...

Me too, I have had the Tomek for about 10 years and bought the whole package
when it was about $800. *Realistically the add on to sharpen bits is worth
about $75 IMHO.

There are only a few sizes I wear to dullness...every 2 years or so...
I just get new ones. I can't even justify a Drill Doctor and they're
low cost.
Mind you, most of the drilling I do is done with those combo tapered/
countersink gizmos from Lee Valley... Then there is one size of
forstner style bit, a 35 mm, of which I own 3..and I have those
sharpened professionally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:21:48 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:44 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
raweb.com...

Actually a Drill Doctor does the job very very quickly compared to the
Tomek set up and for about half the price.

A lot less than half.

Max

That would depend on the model you get. Mine was around $100 but It was
not
the top of the line model, and now they have one that does spade bits.

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=90

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file.
deep sigh

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file.
deep sigh

Bummer. It would be a lot easier though, to spend 15 minutes setting up a
machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds .

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-.../dp/B004AYCXVG

I own a Tormek, so I'm on their email distribution list. I have most of the
accessories already, so when I got the email about this one I thought I'd be
interested. Until I saw the price. The way I figure it, $255 will buy an awful
lot of drill bits...

Me too, I have had the Tomek for about 10 years and bought the whole package
when it was about $800. Realistically the add on to sharpen bits is worth
about $75 IMHO.

I agree completely, Leon. If it had been only $75, I'd already own one. But
three+ times that? No way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 22:48:57 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file.
deep sigh

Bummer. It would be a lot easier though, to spend 15 minutes setting up a
machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds .

I think that should read "to spend an extra $575, then spend 15
minutes setting up a machine so you could push the button and have it
done in only 30 seconds.", shouldn't it?

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Larry Jaques" wrote
Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file.
deep sigh

Bummer. It would be a lot easier though, to spend 15 minutes setting up
a machine so you could push the button and have it done in only 30 seconds
.

Probably the case with the Tormek, with the Drill Doctor, set up only takes
about 5-10 seconds per bit once you get the hang of it. Sharpening takes
about 5-15 seconds depending on the size of the bit and the amount being
removed. It is so little trouble that I am considering sharpening each bit
every time I use one for more than a couple of holes. It takes longer to
pull the sharpener out of the carrying bag and plug it in than to mount a
bit for sharpening. Once I get into my new shop the sharpener will likely
stay out. in close proximity to the DP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I had so many dull bits it was redicklus. ;~) If I only used the bits for
wood working I'd probably only buy replacements but I often get into other
stuff. And then I break bits at inopertune moments and those can be
revived with a sharpening with out having to make a special trip to the
store.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote
Probably the case with the Tormek, with the Drill Doctor, set up only
takes about 5-10 seconds per bit once you get the hang of it. Sharpening
takes about 5-15 seconds depending on the size of the bit and the amount
being removed. It is so little trouble that I am considering sharpening
each bit every time I use one for more than a couple of holes.

I used one once a few years back. Seems easy enough, but I've not bought
enough bits in my life to justify the cost. Maybe if I was drilling a lot
of metal, but I use mostly brad points and forstners as do only hobby work,
not production. I'd rather put $25 into bit s that will last me for years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Probably the case with the Tormek, with the Drill Doctor, set up only
takes about 5-10 seconds per bit once you get the hang of it. Sharpening
takes about 5-15 seconds depending on the size of the bit and the amount
being removed. It is so little trouble that I am considering sharpening
each bit every time I use one for more than a couple of holes. It takes
longer to pull the sharpener out of the carrying bag and plug it in than
to mount a bit for sharpening. Once I get into my new shop the sharpener
will likely stay out. in close proximity to the DP.

There ya go Leon. You very own dedicated Drill Doctor stand!!

I fully expect Sketchup Drawings, fully documented progress reports and a
stunning shop fixture. And since you have demonstrated the capacity to make
monumental bedroom furniture, I expect it to be bigger than the drill press!
I bet you can make it from two hundred pieces or more.

All kidding aside, as some one who has done a lot of drill press, a
dedicated drill press station makes a lot of sense. Hmmmm..., I have to
think about that one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:58:44 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

raweb.com...

http://www.drilldoctor.com/index.php...details&catego...

Do they have one for brad point or forstner bits yet?

Nope not yet.

I guess I'll just have to waste a whole minute per bit with a file.
deep sigh *

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." * * * * * * * --Edward Abbey- Hide quoted text -

The less time spent, the better. File the fronts of the ramps,
and no more. Wreck the relief, and she won't feed. So
much as touch the outside surface of a Forstner with a
file, and you can trust the bit to jam every time.

One exception is the 1-1/2" Forstner whose rim I cut saw
teeth into with a triangular file. Due to bad machining,
the trailing edge of the rim was lower than the ramp. Took
all my weight on the drill press to get it to cut. The saw
teeth broke up the rim and made the bit feed much
more easily.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 17, 12:43*pm, tommyboy wrote:
I'm speechless.....$255??

http://www.amazon.com/Tormek-DBS-22-...tachment/dp/B0...

There still appears to be a market for folks who want to pay $300-400
for a Fein multipurpose tool set. Likewise some will be more than
happy to put out the extra bucks for this.

Being ignorant on how the Tromek works, I doubt if it is much better
or faster than my Drill Doctor. It took some fiddling to figure it
out the first time. But once it is set up, I can go through my bench-
box of dull bits in a few minutes.

RonB

Tormek Drill Bit Attachment tommyboy Woodworking 8 September 2nd 10 05:03 AM
Right Angle Drill Attachment Kit MiamiCuse Home Repair 7 December 31st 09 12:26 AM
FS: Mortising Attachment for Jet Drill Press Don Sforza Woodworking 1 March 10th 07 01:16 PM
Drill attachment query Kroma UK diy 14 October 28th 06 04:08 PM
hammer drill attachment? Chas12 Woodworking 6 December 9th 05 04:53 PM