Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to calculate board feet for my project

I'm not sure my subject line is even right. I am going to be building an
entertainment center out of solid teak and teak plywood. I know the
dimensions of each piece of solid teak for my project. I learned the last
time I did a project not to layout each piece on a piece of paper where I
know the board width and length because where I go, it is 2S lumber and I
don't necessarily know what width or length boards I will find that I like.

I want to take each component of my project and total them up to board feet.
When I select the boards I want, I can have the lumber yard calculate the
board feet and as long as it is about 20% more than my required wood, I
should be OK. Of course I have a few special requirements (e.g., a few
pieces MUST be 7" wide) but other than that, nothing is all that tricky

I know how to take a particular component and convert its width and length
to board feet. Should I just do that, add them all up, multipy by 1.20 and
that will be my number? I guess I was hoping to find some kind of a board
foot calculator to do that but everytime I google "board feet calculator" I
just get something that let's you enter a number of boards of the same width
and length and it will tell you the number of board feet.

Probably your answer will be "Make a spreadsheet with 3 columns: length,
width and computed board feet" Take each length (in inches), width (in
inches) and multiply then divide by 144. That is the board feet for that
component.

Add 'em up and multiply by 1.20.

TIA

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote:

snip

Add 'em up and multiply by 1.20.

-----------------
I use at least 1.30.

BTW, given a choice, I'll take rough loumber over 2S every time.

Why?

What assurance do you have that wood machined, even a couple of days
ago, hasn't moved by the time you want to use it?

Have fun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 8:49*pm, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
[...]

This may or may not be what you are looking for: http://tinyurl.com/29mbn3d
It calculates price automatically if you enter your lumber yard prices
in 'Sheet_2'
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Dick Snyder" wrote:

snip

Add 'em up and multiply by 1.20.

-----------------
I use at least 1.30.

BTW, given a choice, I'll take rough loumber over 2S every time.

Why?

What assurance do you have that wood machined, even a couple of days ago,
hasn't moved by the time you want to use it?

Have fun.

Lew

My main thinking on 2S is that I have a 6" jointer which is fine for doing
edges but not so fine for doing wider boards.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Brian. That isn't what I am looking for right now. I am just trying
to figure out how to express my various project parts into a board feet
number since that is how the lumber yard sells lumber. The first time I did
this, I had a detailed plan for taking various board lengths and widths
(that I had decided on before going to the lumber supplier) and getting the
parts I needed out of them. That plan fell apart because they only had the
lumber I was looking for (cherry) in one width. That had a LOT of it in 10'
lengths and roughly 8" widths. I just had to make a wild guess on the spot.
It turns out I bought too much which isn't the end of the world because I
will use it down the road. I just want to go in more prepared this time.

Dick

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 6:39*am, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

That's exactly what the spread sheet does.

That plan fell apart because they only *had the
lumber I was looking for (cherry) in one width. That had a LOT of it in 10'
lengths and roughly 8" widths. I just had to make a wild guess on the spot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 3, 11:01*pm, wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the confusion. This is also my account. Dont ask me how i
ended up w/ two.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2010 7:49 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

In this day and age, WW'ers who have the ability to post to a newsgroup
owe it to themselves to invest in a cutlist program to help them save
money and optimize the use of expensive hardwoods.

With a program like CutList Plus http://cutlistplus.com/ you can enter
your parts off your shop drawings and the program will calculate board
feet, give you a cutlist layout showing the most efficient way to make
your cuts, and, if you enter the current price from your lumber yard of
the various materials in the raw materials section, it will give you the
cost of your project so you know what it will cost before you walk out
the door, among other good information like hardware, hinges, etc.

There are many of these cutlist programs out there, but Todd at CutList
Plus has the best one, IME, so give the free trial a run and see if it
doesn't suit you.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Dick Snyder" wrote:

snip

Add 'em up and multiply by 1.20.

-----------------
I use at least 1.30.

BTW, given a choice, I'll take rough loumber over 2S every time.

Why?

What assurance do you have that wood machined, even a couple of days ago,
hasn't moved by the time you want to use it?

That is why all the S2S 4/4 lumber I have seen is milled to 13/16" or more
vs. 3/4". I always mill S2S again to "my" specs. IMHO the trouble with
rough cut is that you have to dress each board at the lumber yard to see
what you are getting. My experience is that only S4S is milled to what you
expect as far as thickness and width are concerned.

board feet and quarters [email protected] Woodworking 19 November 26th 10 08:58 PM
Board on Board Fence along Highway - same project, different layout.Why? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 6 September 1st 09 06:10 AM
Are my calculations right? Board feet depictureboy Woodworking 15 April 24th 08 01:58 PM
board feet DJ Delorie Woodworking 14 April 14th 08 11:36 AM
Quite a few board feet here damian penney Woodworking 1 March 22nd 07 05:58 PM