Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Board on Board Fence along Highway - same project, different layout.Why?

They are redoing the highway near my house, and running a few miles of
board-on-board fencing along the back of the yards that back up to the
highway.

Basically, this stuff:

http://www.outdoorstyle.ca/images/fe...oard-fence.jpg

I noticed that in some sections they alternated the boards like in the
picture so that you can't see through the fence, but other sections
have the boards directly opposite each other so the fence is open
between the uprights.

Similar to this, but with boards on both sides:

http://www.cedarfencing.com/images/d...st_550x300.jpg

There's a half mile or so of alternating, then some open, then some
alternating - mostly alternating.

There doesn't seem to be anything different about the locations as all
sections are along the back yards of residential houses.

Can you think of any reason why they did this? Bad workmanship comes
to mind, since I can't think of why they would want to leave the fence
open to the highway noise. I know if I lived in those houses I'd have
them "close" the fence for more privacy, less noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:38:00 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

They are redoing the highway near my house, and running a few miles of
board-on-board fencing along the back of the yards that back up to the
highway.

Basically, this stuff:

http://www.outdoorstyle.ca/images/fe...oard-fence.jpg

I noticed that in some sections they alternated the boards like in the
picture so that you can't see through the fence, but other sections
have the boards directly opposite each other so the fence is open
between the uprights.

-snip-
Can you think of any reason why they did this? Bad workmanship comes
to mind, since I can't think of why they would want to leave the fence
open to the highway noise. I know if I lived in those houses I'd have
them "close" the fence for more privacy, less noise.

Maybe they are going to do some real-world testing?

My gut says there will be negligible difference between the two as far
as noise abatement. The open one has some advantages if you're in
snow country. [and it would be cheaper, if I'm picturing it right.]

Get a decibel meter and walk along each side some day during rush hour
and tell us how much quieter is on the house side, vs. the road
side--- and if either style makes a noticeable difference.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Jim- Hide quoted text -

The open one has some advantages if you're in snow country

We are.

and it would be cheaper, if I'm picturing it right

You might not be picturing it right.

In both cases, there are boards on both sides of the rails, so the
same amount of material was used for each style.

Get a decibel meter and walk along each side some day during rush
hour

I'm not sure I need to do that. Why don't you think an alternating
board fence would block more sound than a open fence? Take it to the
extreme and compare a chain link fence to a solid panel. Doesn't it
make sense that the more material there is for the sound to bounce off
of, the less noise will make it into the yard?

Yes, there will be some bouncing of the sound waves within the fence,
and there will be some leakage around the slats and through the
openings, but the closer to solid you get, the less noise will make it
through. Try it on your own with a radio and few boards.

Why do they build those solid walls next to highways? Why wouldn't
they go cheaper and put up slotted walls if it makes no difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 31, 10:38*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

Can you think of any reason why they did this?

My bet's on sound control. Likely the property owners that bitched
about traffic noise got the closed style fence. There is likely a
detectable difference between the two, but the complainers will be
happy thinking they got the better deal. It's all in the ear of the
beholder to borrow a phrase.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

You COULD call your highway department. You'll probably get routed to the
tree-removal department who will tell you it is a federal law to mark the
right edge of a highway with a solid white line and why do you ask?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I'm still not picturing the two styles, I guess. But a radio and
my property would make a poor comparison. [and I don't have a decibel
meter, anyway.g]

The effectiveness of an acoustic fence is affected by how far the
houses and the highway are from the fence.

Why do they build those solid walls next to highways? Why wouldn't
they go cheaper and put up slotted walls if it makes no difference?

Why did they cut all the trees off an embankment so the entire thing
slid into the road the following spring? Sometimes engineers make
mistakes, or are just plain ignorant.

I'm still not sure what they look like- But I'm betting the open fence
is to eliminate some snow drifts.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only thing that I've thought of is that in some areas they want to
allow small creatures to be able to get thru the fence.