Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Caulking trim ???

(Inspired by a previous thread)

What do people use to caulk trim with?

I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and
finished.

Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little greyish yellow and gathers dust
real badly and looks pretty bad after a few years. I is really ahrd to clean
back to the glowing white.

I have tried various brands and know the more expensive stuff usually looks
better, longer. I would love to try silicone based caulk but fear not being
able to repaint properly when redecorating every 50-60 years... LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dap, latex / silicone based.
I always run a wet finger down, it stops collecting dirt that way.
And you can paint it too.

I don't use straight silicone .. I don't find the performance to be
great. The dap resists mold better, adheres better. The straight
silicone didn't adhere to my exterior alum siding. While the dap did.
The straight silicone after 1 year had popped clean of the alum.
The dap... still working.

On 11/26/2010 1:55 PM, Josepi wrote:
(Inspired by a previous thread)

What do people use to caulk trim with?

I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and
finished.

Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little greyish yellow and gathers dust
real badly and looks pretty bad after a few years. I is really ahrd to clean
back to the glowing white.

I have tried various brands and know the more expensive stuff usually looks
better, longer. I would love to try silicone based caulk but fear not being
able to repaint properly when redecorating every 50-60 years... LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Josepi wrote:
(Inspired by a previous thread)

What do people use to caulk trim with?

I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and
finished.

Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little greyish yellow and gathers dust
real badly and looks pretty bad after a few years. I is really ahrd to clean
back to the glowing white.

I have tried various brands and know the more expensive stuff usually looks
better, longer. I would love to try silicone based caulk but fear not being
able to repaint properly when redecorating every 50-60 years... LOL

You've got to paint the caulk. Use the same color as the wall, and tape or
use a straight-edged mask of some kind so that the top of the baseboard or
molding appears to have a constant thickness against the wall.

I usually go around the baseboard like this, sitting down, with a brush and
a straight-edged paint mask, painting up onto the wall a few inches
above the baseboard. (Do the ceiling line first) Then finish the walls
with a roller.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
(Inspired by a previous thread)

What do people use to caulk trim with?

I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and
finished.

Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little greyish yellow and gathers dust
real badly and looks pretty bad after a few years. I is really ahrd to
clean
back to the glowing white.

I have tried various brands and know the more expensive stuff usually
looks
better, longer. I would love to try silicone based caulk but fear not
being
able to repaint properly when redecorating every 50-60 years... LOL

I always paint over my caulk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 26 Nov 2010 21:16:08 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

"Josepi" wrote in message
(Inspired by a previous thread)

What do people use to caulk trim with?

I typically do caulk most of my white trim and it looks much better and
finished.

Trouble is: the usual stuff turns a little greyish yellow and gathers dust
real badly and looks pretty bad after a few years. I is really ahrd to
clean
back to the glowing white.

I have tried various brands and know the more expensive stuff usually
looks
better, longer. I would love to try silicone based caulk but fear not
being
able to repaint properly when redecorating every 50-60 years... LOL

I always paint over my caulk.

Aren't you supposed to color within the lines?

caulking gun Stephen[_2_] UK diy 6 September 28th 08 10:21 PM
caulking inside window trim Eigenvector Home Repair 7 June 25th 07 02:25 PM
caulking Patt Home Repair 4 June 29th 06 06:07 PM
Using a trim router bit on 1x2x8 oak trim? N Hurst Woodworking 10 March 1st 06 06:51 PM
Will a flush trim bit plow thru or trim one edge only? bent Woodworking 4 March 1st 06 11:53 AM