Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulking inside window trim

When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Will caulking stick to wood with a polyeurothane finish?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Will caulking stick to wood with a polyeurothane finish?

Sounds to me like a poor window/trim installation. The trim should fit
tight to to the window frame and there should be no gap. In any event,
caulking sticks just fine to polyurethanes, so if you have a
unintended gap, some colored PolySeamseal will cover iy nicely. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 9:14 pm, Joe wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Will caulking stick to wood with a polyeurothane finish?

Sounds to me like a poor window/trim installation. The trim should fit
tight to to the window frame and there should be no gap. In any event,
caulking sticks just fine to polyurethanes, so if you have a
unintended gap, some colored PolySeamseal will cover iy nicely. HTH

Joe

use spray foam its much better at insulation and easier to deal with.
buy a can for 5.00 bucks can probably due several windows. I use it
for all sorts of hidden cracks needed to be filled.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 22, 9:14 pm, Joe wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming
the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the
window
frame and the trim?

Will caulking stick to wood with a polyeurothane finish?

Sounds to me like a poor window/trim installation. The trim should fit
tight to to the window frame and there should be no gap. In any event,
caulking sticks just fine to polyurethanes, so if you have a
unintended gap, some colored PolySeamseal will cover iy nicely. HTH

Joe

use spray foam its much better at insulation and easier to deal with.
buy a can for 5.00 bucks can probably due several windows. I use it
for all sorts of hidden cracks needed to be filled.

Well maybe I gave you guys the wrong impression. I'm talking gaps like
1/16" at most. Mainly I just wanted to know if the trim should be caulked
regardless. But, as you suggested I did go ahead and get a nice clear
caulking to seal it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:07:41 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Will caulking stick to wood with a polyeurothane finish?

I went around my house filling in areas with painter's caulk for a
nicer paint finish.

tom @ www.Stuff4Free.biz

Posted to alt.home.repair

When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Why is there a gap ? How wide is it ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 16:19:52 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"Rudy" wrote in message
When installing new window trim for the window sill (that is trimming the
INSIDE) is it normal to apply caulking to seal the gap between the window
frame and the trim?

Why is there a gap ? How wide is it ?

1/8"

1/8" sounds wide, without actually looking at it. Before I went crazy
with painter's caulk, I made sure all trim was securely mounted.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com