Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Colonial highboy pictures

I've put some pictures of a colonial highboy up on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340108439/

I've tried to show some details of the construction.

I'll have access to it for a few days (it goes to the restorer next
week) so if anybody would like to see anything specific I'll try to get
it.

Anybody who thinks veneer doesn't have any "depth" should see this
piece.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 8:29*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a colonial highboy up on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340108439/

I've tried to show some details of the construction.

I'll have access to it for a few days (it goes to the restorer next
week) so if anybody would like to see anything specific I'll try to get
it.

Anybody who thinks veneer doesn't have any "depth" should see this
piece.

Between your previous post of the 200 year old beams and these
colonial pieces you seem to be surrounded by inspirational works.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 8:29*am, "J. Clarke" wrote:
I've put some pictures of a colonial highboy up on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157625340108439/

I've tried to show some details of the construction.

I'll have access to it for a few days (it goes to the restorer next
week) so if anybody would like to see anything specific I'll try to get
it.

Anybody who thinks veneer doesn't have any "depth" should see this
piece.

Man, the guy cutting those drawer dovetails was flying! Look at how
far the tails are over-cut. He was banging those things out. A bit
different when they're doing them piece work and speed is paramount.
Anyone know off hand how many drawers a production guy did by hand
back in the day?

How wide is that one board on the back? Is it over 2'? I'm very
tempted to ask what the restoration is going to run you on the
highboy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 2:28*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

Why restore it at all? It's not that great a piece.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 2:37*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Granted, it wasn't cut on an automated CNC machine, but nothing's
perfect - even perfection. You're also giving short shrift to the
piece's wabi. It's dripping with it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 11:11*am, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

It is dripping with more than wabi, bro`.
I don`t think it needs to be made with pieces from a cnc, a few
toolmarks from hand tools are fine, not if the tool was a pick ax.
And if that piece is from the 18th century (1700`s) my name is
Slartibartfast.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 26, 11:28*am, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

I like it better because it has rough edges yet still looks reasonably
well made. The glue block repairs less so, but it's a personal
decision about whether it's worth having most any piece of furniture
restored. As far as the wabi aspect, the workman-bang-it-out
dovetails are a vast improvement over most beautified dovetails,
handcut or no. They're real, and not some sentimentalized idea of a
dovetail.

Let's face it, who looks at the dovetails on a drawer other than a
carpenter/cabinetmaker or an antique furniture person? It wasn't
uncommon for furniture to have only one true arris on a leg, the
others being approximate as they weren't critical. Nowadays that
would be considered sloppy work - or art, but not quality furniture
craft. The glue blocks bother me far more than any other aspect
except for the damage.