Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Carpenters' Glue Solvent?

Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Depends on how dried out it is. Essentially, once it's fully cured
there's nothing I know that will dissolve it--that's why real restorers
don't use it on true antiques.

If it is just thickened, hot water...

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Hot water works since it is water based.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/10 2:16 PM, dpb wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Depends on how dried out it is. Essentially, once it's fully cured
there's nothing I know that will dissolve it--that's why real restorers
don't use it on true antiques.

If it is just thickened, hot water...

--

Not cured, just cottage cheese. Water... duh. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/10 2:23 PM, Norvin Gordon wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Hot water works since it is water based.

Man, was I complicating things. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the
stuff. Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Hot water works since it is water based.

Man, was I complicating things. :-)

But the water may cost you more than a new bottle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the
stuff. Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Hot water works since it is water based.

Man, was I complicating things. :-)

But the water may cost you more than a new bottle.

No, they're about seven bucks and worth every penny.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-16-Ounce.aspx

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 3:05*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Acetone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/10 4:47 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
On Nov 9, 3:05 pm, wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Acetone.

The hot water is working for the goo.
Acetone for hardened or goo?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Vinegar

Posted to rec.woodworking

For a good & cheap bottle I use mustard squeeze bottles.

Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 3:05 pm, *wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff..
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Acetone.

The hot water is working for the goo.
Acetone for hardened or goo?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

All of the above. PVA is soluble in acetone.

One reference I found via the google.
http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/scat/b.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 9, 3:05 pm, *wrote:
Anyone know what breaks down plain old yellow Elmers?
I have a great glue bottle that I let get all gummed up with the stuff.
Anything I can pour in there to loosen it up?

Acetone.

The hot water is working for the goo.
Acetone for hardened or goo?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

All of the above. *PVA is soluble in acetone.

One reference I found via the google.http://www.museumservicescorporation..com/scat/b.html

That's more spam I will get. I keep using the wrong dam account. Dam
you google!! (shakes fist) :^|
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/10 5:06 PM, Jerry - OHIO wrote:
For a good& cheap bottle I use mustard squeeze bottles.

Jerry

I don't want good, cheap. :-)
I want great and not cheap, which is why I'm not throwing away the
bottle I have.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/9/10 5:09 PM, wrote:
Acetone.

The hot water is working for the goo.
Acetone for hardened or goo?

All of the above. PVA is soluble in acetone.

One reference I found via the google.
http://www.museumservicescorporation.com/scat/b.html

Thanks, all.
The acetone really loosens it up.