Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Solvent to remove glue from PCB?

Hello,

I thought for sure I'd find the answer to this already posted here,
but I didn't, so...

I'm working on a small PCB that has an 8-pin SMT IC on it. The
manufacturer chose to glue a small piece of black thin cardboard on
top of it, probably as a cheap insulator. I've gotten that cover off,
but the IC and surrounding circuit board are still coated with the
dried glue that was used on it (it's especially gooped around the IC's
pins).

The glue is a yellowish-white and very, very tough. It seems very
much like the glue I've often seen used to glue larger components
(like big electrolytic cans) to PCBs to prevent them from moving.

Is there a well-known solvent for dissolving and removing this glue?

I've tried:
- PCB cleaner (Electro-Wash)
- Denatured Alcohol
- Flux Remover

....none of these seemed to affect the dried glue at all.

Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article
,
Mr. Land wrote:
The glue is a yellowish-white and very, very tough. It seems very
much like the glue I've often seen used to glue larger components
(like big electrolytic cans) to PCBs to prevent them from moving.

Is there a well-known solvent for dissolving and removing this glue?

I've tried:
- PCB cleaner (Electro-Wash)
- Denatured Alcohol
- Flux Remover

...none of these seemed to affect the dried glue at all.

Have you tried a label remover? That solvent works with many glues.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:30:41 -0800 (PST), "Mr. Land"
wrote:

[...]

Heat. It could be a hot melt adhesive. Touch it briefly with soldering iron
tip and see if it melts quickly.

--

Boris Mohar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 30, 10:30*pm, "Mr. Land" wrote:

I'm working on a small PCB [on which]
manufacturer chose to glue [something...]
The glue is a yellowish-white and very, very tough. *It seems very
much like the glue I've often seen used to glue larger components
I've tried:
* - PCB cleaner (Electro-Wash)
* - Denatured Alcohol
* - Flux Remover

...none of these seemed to affect the dried glue at all.

The PCB cleaner and denatured alcohol are exactly what the
mass produced circuit board was cleaned with at the factory, of
course; no surprise that the glue didn't come off with them.
Flux Remover can be any number of things (Freon? Methylene chloride?)
but you'd have to look at the label to tell.

I'd try paint thinner (or other naptha solvent), and acetone/ketone
(like
lacquer thinner), or even just a hotair blower and a brass-bristle
brush.
Those solvents are flammable, of course, so no sparky blower motors
while they're in play!

Methylene chloride (old-fashioned paint remover) might still be worth
a try, if you have proper ventilation. And then maybe toluene or
heavy alcohol (like glycerine).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

All excellent suggestions - thank you very much folks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

HI

AM RIYA , I JUST WANT TO KNOW THAT, WE ARE USEING RED GLUE FOR SMD COMPONENT IN SECONDARY SIDE , THEN WE PRINT THE BOARD WITH MACHINE STENCIL APPLIED , AFTER THAT I WANT TO REMOVE THE GLUE FROM THAT PCB , WHAT SHOULD BE USED TO REMOVE THE GLUE. PLEASE TELL ME THE MATERIAL WHICH CAN BE USED FOR GLUE REMOVING

How to remove glue from glass table [email protected] Home Repair 32 September 22nd 17 12:49 PM
How remove hot glue residue? Fred Woodturning 5 September 14th 06 10:39 PM
remove carpet glue Rookie Home Repair 5 April 13th 06 04:58 PM
Solvent for Scotch sticky tape glue john2 UK diy 5 February 28th 06 09:47 PM
How remove old glue from plastic? Al Franz Woodworking 14 October 14th 05 06:00 PM