Posted to rec.woodworking

Default This gator's got no power (Lowes new sandpaper)

Was low on sanding disks and had to go down to Lowes anyway so figured
I'd stock up. Instead of the expected Norton or 3M or other well known
brand, I found "Gator Power". Well, I got a pack of 80 and of 120 (no
150 to be had) and tried it out. Wore out six disks trying to get the
walnut stain off of one table leaf (the rest of the table had been
cleaned with harsh cleansers so many times that it had no stain or other
finish on it--wanted the leaf to match). The stuff cut like crazy for
about ten seconds a disk and then just stopped. Didn't seem to be
loaded up or anything and had lots of grit left on it, so it had to have
gotten dull that fast. Worse, it left little swirly marks all over the
place (you know, the kind you get when you got a metal filing stuck on
the disk or something?).

I finally said "screw this" and sharpened up the scraper, which made
short work of it, not to mention taking out the little swirly marks.

It's a limited sample and anecdotal I admit, but from my viewpoint it
will be a cold day in Hell before I buy any more "Gator Power" sanding
disks. It's worth the gas to drive down to Coastal if I can't get
anything decent from the big box stores anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/6/10 12:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I finally said "screw this" and sharpened up the scraper, which made
short work of it, not to mention taking out the little swirly marks.

I love using a scraper.

It's a limited sample and anecdotal I admit, but from my viewpoint it
will be a cold day in Hell before I buy any more "Gator Power" sanding
disks. It's worth the gas to drive down to Coastal if I can't get
anything decent from the big box stores anymore.

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 1:54*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 11/6/10 12:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I finally *said "screw this" and sharpened up the scraper, which made
short work of it, not to mention taking out the little swirly marks.

I love using a scraper.

It's a limited sample and anecdotal I admit, but from my viewpoint it
will be a cold day in Hell before I buy any more "Gator Power" sanding
disks. *It's worth the gas to drive down to Coastal if I can't get
anything decent from the big box stores anymore.

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

Ditto. That stuff cuts like crazeeee... and for a long time too. When
used for its intended purpose, it almost makes sanding drywall mud
fun....I said almost....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
Ditto. That stuff cuts like crazeeee... and for a long time too. When
used for its intended purpose, it almost makes sanding drywall mud
fun....I said almost....

Lately, I've been using sandpaper from Mirka. It's design actually does what
it claims and lasts a hell of a long time. Yup, it's expensive, but the need
to use new disks has been cut down tremendously.
http://www.atlas-machinery.com/produ...240Grit-10Pack

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 7, 4:05*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Ditto. That stuff cuts like crazeeee... and for a long time too. When
used for its intended purpose, it almost makes sanding drywall mud
fun....I said almost....

Lately, I've been using sandpaper from Mirka. It's design actually does what
it claims and lasts a hell of a long time. Yup, it's expensive, but the need
to use new disks has been cut down tremendously.http://www.atlas-machinery.com/produ...-AE232F1025-5-...

Mirka bulldog gold rocks! I get mine from Woodworkers Hardware, 5" 8
hole 50 sheets for $17.50 or so... They have that Abranet that some
fella recently was talking about there too. I probably buy 90% of my
cabinet building supplies there. No affiliation blah, blah... Good
prices, good service, blah, blah...

RP
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:11:46 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 11/6/10 12:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

I finally said "screw this" and sharpened up the scraper, which made
short work of it, not to mention taking out the little swirly marks.

I love using a scraper.

I used to but my thumbs get distraught with me these days. Only thing
worse than getting old is the alternative.

Josh,

A man who uses a 100 year old keyhole saw to carve pumpkins must surely have a
Stanley 112, 80, 12 or even an 81 in his stash.

The April, 2003 issue of Popular Woodworking had plans for a DIY card scraper
holder in the tips section. I built one of those a few years ago for a total
cost of 29 cents and some scrap oak. It's not fancy, but works just fine to save
thumbs from heat and pressure.

I could find the article in their index, but not on the site. If you don't have
that issue,drop me a note off list.

Regards,
Roy
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Lately, I've been using sandpaper from Mirka.

Are they truly worth a 300+% price premium?

"Truly worth the price" is open to discretion. They are usuable a lot longer
then other sanding disks and they operate much cleaner than other disks I've
used. To me that's convenience. Since I feel I can afford the money to
'waste' on such a product, then yes they are worth it to 'me'. Someone else?
Maybe not, but everyone I know has bought something once in awhile that
others feel was a waste of money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 8, 4:00*am, "Upscale" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
Lately, I've been using sandpaper from Mirka.

Are they truly worth a 300+% price premium?

"Truly worth the price" is open to discretion. They are usuable a lot longer
then other sanding disks and they operate much cleaner than other disks I've
used. To me that's convenience. Since I feel I can afford the money to
'waste' on such a product, then yes they are worth it to 'me'. Someone else?
Maybe not, but everyone I know has bought something once in awhile that
others feel was a waste of money.

Mirka Abranet on a Festool Rotex is better than single malt sex.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 6, 12:54*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

I was in Lowes today. They had it in narrow sheets, but I was looking
for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/8/10 7:56 PM, Kimosabe wrote:
On Nov 6, 12:54 pm, wrote:

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

I was in Lowes today. They had it in narrow sheets, but I was looking
for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?

I doubt it. They are designed for drywall plaster and I don't think too
many folks are using power sanders on mud. They may make those screens
in disc format, but I doubt it's a stock item at most home stores.

Fair warning, again.... the black stuff of which it's made will get all
over whatever you're sanding and even embed itself in some open grain
woods, like oak. Just letting folks know to test it out first. I'd say,
great for removing a finish, but not so great on bare wood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 17:56:44 -0800 (PST), Kimosabe
wrote:

On Nov 6, 12:54*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

I was in Lowes today. They had it in narrow sheets, but I was looking
for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?

I buy 5" 8-hole Norton pads from Harbor Freight. They last pretty
darned well, as they should for a buck a pop.

--
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret Lee Runbeck
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Nov 6, 12:54 pm, wrote:

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

I was in Lowes today. They had it in narrow sheets, but I was looking
for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?

I buy 5" 8-hole Norton pads from Harbor Freight. They last pretty
darned well, as they should for a buck a pop.

I didn't know Norton made a drywall screen disc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Lowes Web Site / Lowes knows Colbyt Home Repair 0 April 22nd 10 07:56 PM
Sandpaper Bill Woodworking 1 February 7th 10 07:53 AM
Is very fine 220 grit sandpaper the right sandpaper to use to sand an alder wood table? Chris Tsao Home Repair 15 August 22nd 07 06:25 PM
Sandpaper tip Phisherman Woodworking 1 September 2nd 05 01:30 AM
sandpaper Mike UK diy 2 February 7th 05 01:23 AM