Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default This gator's got no power (Lowes new sandpaper)

On 11/8/10 7:56 PM, Kimosabe wrote:
On Nov 6, 12:54 pm, wrote:

If you have a way to deal with the black powder that results and it
won't ruin whatever you're working on, those mesh drywall sanding sheets
work great for removing lots of stuff from wood. In my experience, at
least.

I was in Lowes today. They had it in narrow sheets, but I was looking
for 5" discs for the random orbit sander. Do they exist?

I doubt it. They are designed for drywall plaster and I don't think too
many folks are using power sanders on mud. They may make those screens
in disc format, but I doubt it's a stock item at most home stores.

Fair warning, again.... the black stuff of which it's made will get all
over whatever you're sanding and even embed itself in some open grain
woods, like oak. Just letting folks know to test it out first. I'd say,
great for removing a finish, but not so great on bare wood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--