Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing sanding sleeves

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

John wrote:
I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum
without damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has
an east method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

Any I've had have a compression nut for mechanical drums (some are
pneumatic altho I'm guessing these aren't)

Particulars for the sander so folks could look? Can't imagine it's not
in literature available from PC.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:
I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum
without damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there
has an east method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

Does the drum have a big honkin' screw on the top? If so, the screw probably
expands the drum.

Try loosening the screw - the drum may shrink as a result.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

How do you get them on?

"John" wrote in message
g.com...
I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

Slacking off a bolt or nut on the end of the spindle should let the
sanding cylinder slip off--if it doesn't then it may be time to replace
the rubber part. Or if it was bought used some idiot may have glued it
on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:28:33 -0400, "John" wrote:

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

John

If it's the typical type with a nut on one end to expand the drum,
loosten the nut quite a bit then roll the drum on the bench applying
mild pressure to the sleeve to force the rubber to contract. The
sleeve will slide off. If you can't remove the spindle, loosten the
nut then use two blocks of wood to roll the drum between them, again
to force the drum to contract.

HTH,

Paul F.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-15 23:20:08 -0400, Paul Franklin
said:

If it's the typical type with a nut on one end to expand the drum,
loosten the nut quite a bit then roll the drum on the bench applying

And remember the bolt turns the "wrong" direction -- "lefty-tighty,
righty-loosey." (I have trouble remembering this, for some reason...)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:28:33 -0400, "John" wrote:

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

John

John.. Did your PC sander come with a manual?
Doesn't look like anyone here is familiar with that unit..
Sometimes, you just have to RTFM to get an answer....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

g.com...
On 2010-10-15 23:20:08 -0400, Paul Franklin
said:

If it's the typical type with a nut on one end to expand the drum,
loosten the nut quite a bit then roll the drum on the bench applying

And remember the bolt turns the "wrong" direction -- "lefty-tighty,
righty-loosey." (I have trouble remembering this, for some reason...)

FYI typically an attachment nut, bolt, shaft that spins during use is
loosened in the same dirrection that it spins during use.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi again. The oscillating spindle sander is a PC SA350K bench model. The
unit came with the sanding sleeves already attached to the respective drums.
When the drum is attached to the bench unit, the attachment nut compresses
the drum and presses against the sleeve. When I remove the sleeve and drum
from the bench unit, I find it extremely difficult to remove the worn-out
sanding sleeve from the rubber drum. I assumed that someone in this group
has had a similar problem and could guide me properly. I THINK that I could
lay the worn sleeve and drum on the bench and press the sides of the drum to
EXPAND the already compressed drum. I hope.

John

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:28:33 -0400, "John" wrote:

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum
without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

John

John.. Did your PC sander come with a manual?
Doesn't look like anyone here is familiar with that unit..
Sometimes, you just have to RTFM to get an answer....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

:http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Docu...932,sa350k.pdf
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
says...

Hi again. The oscillating spindle sander is a PC SA350K bench model. The
unit came with the sanding sleeves already attached to the respective drums.
When the drum is attached to the bench unit, the attachment nut compresses
the drum and presses against the sleeve. When I remove the sleeve and drum
from the bench unit, I find it extremely difficult to remove the worn-out
sanding sleeve from the rubber drum. I assumed that someone in this group
has had a similar problem and could guide me properly. I THINK that I could
lay the worn sleeve and drum on the bench and press the sides of the drum to
EXPAND the already compressed drum. I hope.

The sandpaper has no give to speak of, what you have to do is persuade
the rubber mandrel to reduce its diameter slightly, which you do by
releasing the compressive load provided by the bolt or nut at the end.
If that is insufficient, they try rolling the mandrel with sanding
sleeve on a flat surface while applying pressure. If that doesn't work,
cut the sleeve off and try to find some that fit properly.

John

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:28:33 -0400, "John" wrote:

I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum
without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

John

John.. Did your PC sander come with a manual?
Doesn't look like anyone here is familiar with that unit..
Sometimes, you just have to RTFM to get an answer....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 15, 7:28*am, "John" wrote:
I recently purchased a PC oscillating drum sander. Works well.

I am not sure about method(s) of removing the sleeves from the drum without
damaging the rubber on the drum. I am sure someone out there has an east
method. (Someone recommended cutting the sleeve)

*John

Hi John,
I would try freezing them to remove the old sleeves and then using
some talcum powder on the drums to help prevent the same problem in
the future,
Gene