Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Saving/Drying Elm

We took a dead Elm tree down (not sure what type, probably American) and
I've been wondering what I can do to use the wood for woodworking. I'd
like to have someone mill it so I can stack it and store it in the barn.
(If anyone knows of someone in the Peoria IL area that will do just the 1
tree, please let me know.) Is there any need for a rush getting the
material milled?

There were some massive limbs on the tree as well. Some of them are 8-10"
in diameter. Will they dry out to usable lumber?

I took a few samples off a wedge and jointed and planed one. Beautiful
stuff with nice close growth rings. It'll be hard to get better stuff.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

A local tree service will likely know where a mill is in your area.
Mills aren't crazy about milling a yard log because of the probability
of having nails, fencing or some other metal imbedded in the wood.
Limbs are used for lumber because they have lots of tension wood and
are most apt to warp, bend, twist, etc., etc.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

It would be nice to find a band saw mill - less loss.

Can you quarter saw it ? - large enough to get grain ?

Mill will know - you will get narrower boards.

They should offer drying abilities - in an in-house kiln.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 10/6/2010 8:46 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
We took a dead Elm tree down (not sure what type, probably American) and
I've been wondering what I can do to use the wood for woodworking. I'd
like to have someone mill it so I can stack it and store it in the barn.
(If anyone knows of someone in the Peoria IL area that will do just the 1
tree, please let me know.) Is there any need for a rush getting the
material milled?

There were some massive limbs on the tree as well. Some of them are 8-10"
in diameter. Will they dry out to usable lumber?

I took a few samples off a wedge and jointed and planed one. Beautiful
stuff with nice close growth rings. It'll be hard to get better stuff.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:08*pm, Sonny wrote:
A local tree service will likely know where a mill is in your area.
Mills aren't crazy about milling a yard log because of the probability
of having nails, fencing or some other metal imbedded in the wood.
Limbs are used for lumber because they have lots of tension wood and
are most apt to warp, bend, twist, etc., etc.

Sonny

Correction: Limbs are NOT used for lumber because....

OT Saving $ Kyle Money Home Repair 1 October 28th 09 03:15 PM
I'm saving on oil Ed Pawlowski Home Repair 2 February 11th 09 02:12 PM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 12 August 28th 07 07:00 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet Home Repair 0 August 23rd 07 09:03 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 0 August 23rd 07 08:58 AM