Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm saving on oil

Some of you may have seen my discussions about a new heating boiler I
started a couple of months ago. My Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler was
installed on Dec. 22. My oil tank was filled four days later. From the
performance and hot water heating pattern, I knew I was saving fuel, but had
no idea how much until today. My tank was topped off.

Based on the average of 2008 and the degree day factor, my consumption is
down 29.5%. I was figuring at least 25% and hoping for more and it looks
like I got it. I'll save quite a bit this summer when hot water is the main
use. The indirect fired water heater is far more efficient than the
tankless coil.

Based on the DD factor and past history, my old boiler would have burned
about 235 gallons of oil; my delivery was 165 gallons, or 70 gallons less
than it would have been. Multiply that by your local oil price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 9:26*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
[...]

Here in Chicago I heard the weatherman say its been the coldest winter
in 25 years, how do you calculate degree days into your formula.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
[...]

I have record of all my oil deliveries for the past two years so I put them
on a spreadsheet. I went back and got the degree days for each period
between delivery dates. Then it is a simple matter of putting in a formula
dividing the oil gallons by the degree days. The use for 2007 and 2008 is
close, but the drop for this year is considerable. . The 70 gallons is
based on using last year's ratio for the degree days of this period.