Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small bathroom project

Since I 'retired' by selling my countertop division, Angela somehow
thought it meant room/time for some projects around the house:

Small bathroom.
Entertainment centre for flatscreen etc.
Break out and redo the bar in family room (Okay, I can get my head
around that one).
The foyer.

So here we go:
New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it down
to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new plumbing, tore
out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put in a much better
ventilation system with timer and rewired for new lights.
Cabinets are built and installed but I couldn't quite decide on the
doors and drawer fronts.
Then it hit me. Corian has this new series of colours called
Illumination. This is the one I picked:
http://tinyurl.com/2wly997
I am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will
stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rawerfront.jpg
When all is said and done, it is supposed to look like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...thFastRend.jpg
The countertop with undermounted sink is this already fabricated:
http://tinyurl.com/258rz4h
There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

and yes, I said I was staining cherry *chin out* "what of it, eh?"
=0)
Posted to rec.woodworking

stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:http://i123..photobucket.com/albums/...rawerfront.jpg
When all is said and done, it is supposed to look like this:http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...thFastRend.jpg
The countertop with undermounted sink is this already fabricated:http://tinyurl.com/258rz4h
There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

and yes, I said I was staining cherry *chin out* "what of it, eh?"
=0)

That's some seriously cool stuff. Are you planning on installing
lights inside the cabinets? Details, man!

Oh, and as far as staining the cherry...it's dead, it'll never know
the difference.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
[...]

MMM. Cool.........:-)

I am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will
stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rawerfront.jpg

When all is said and done, it is supposed to look like this:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...thFastRend.jpg

Very nice!!

The countertop with undermounted sink is this already fabricated:
http://tinyurl.com/258rz4h

Yesss!!!

There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

and yes, I said I was staining cherry *chin out* "what of it, eh?"
=0)

Atta Boy!!

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:
http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:00*pm, Robatoy wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it
really that tight?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2010 12:38 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, *wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. *Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. *Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? *I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

North American dietary habits?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/10 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:
I am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will
stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rawerfront.jpg

As I've come to expect from you, those look flawless.

Were the chamfers done before or after assembly?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 2:01*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/3/10 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I am setting this as a panel in a frame made of cherry which I will
stain almost to a black/red, here's a drawer front in process:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...rawerfront.jpg

As I've come to expect from you, those look flawless.

Were the chamfers done before or after assembly?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Those were done prior to assembly. The end chamfers of the rails were
done by hand, the rest with a normal router clamped in a Triton
SuperJaws. Once you get into the rhythm of operating a SuperJaws,
there's really nothing like it. Ridgid and Rockwell have them as well.
The chamfer on the outer perimeter was done after assembly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:38*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 3, 1:00*pm, Robatoy wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. *Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. *Is it
really that tight?

14 on one side, 13 on the other. Nobody in this house is big enough
for that to be a problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So the plumber can get to the shut off valve????
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the
toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

North American dietary habits?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the
toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

North American dietary habits?

Yes, and when reaching for the valve, the plumber must not have to
stretch so much that his plumber's crack causes an eclipse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the
toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm
not calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

You would not have asked "Why 15 inches", if you had walked through some
of the public areas (Mall, stores, etc.) in the US. From observations I
would say that 15" is not sufficient.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 1:00 pm, *wrote:

I forgot to post the link to the cabinet above the toilet:http://tinyurl.com/2fgt2c5

Hmmm, code requires a toilet have 15" clearance from the centerline on
each side. *Judging from the floor tile in that picture - I'm assuming
they're the standard 12" tile - it looks more like 24" overall. *Is it
really that tight?

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? *I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

--
See Nad. *See Nad go. *Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

I would imagine that there are a number of possible reasons, but the
one that would be most likely to influence me would be allowing enough
room to reach around back and not have your elbow hit the wall. Or
maybe they just took a spin on the arbitrary code wheel and it came up
lucky 15.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
lid says...

Do you know _why_ the code calls for 15" clearance on either side? I'm not
calling the code into question, I'm just wondering what the reason is.

Cleaning?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small bathroom project Part Deux (piccies)

Some piccies
All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../UpstairsBath/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 10, 12:35*pm, Robatoy wrote:
Some piccies
All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../UpstairsBath/

Found a new use for 1/4" Corian: drawer bottoms. (A nice little 'sell-
up'.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/10/10 11:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:
Some piccies
All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../UpstairsBath/

Brilliant.
It's encouraging to know that there are still people who want and
respect (and will pay for) the art, quality and craftsmanship of you
piece, instead of going down to Pier1 for something that *looks* the
part to the ignorant.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 10, 12:49*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 10/10/10 11:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Some piccies
All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../UpstairsBath/

Brilliant.
It's encouraging to know that there are still people who want and
respect (and will pay for) the art, quality and craftsmanship of you
piece, instead of going down to Pier1 for something that *looks* the
part to the ignorant.

In this case, it was Angela who couldn't find anything she liked
enough for us to buy. This is our upstairs bathroom. I have done jobs
like this for other people, most don't get 'The Numbers'.
$ 8 to 12 K isn't that abnormal for a 'down-to-the-studs' reno.
Two sets of drains all the way to the stack. All new electrical. New
window, new floor, new tub and toilet, new cabinets (custom) new top
and undermount vanity, all new fixtures and all new ventilation.
That stuff adds up in a hurry.

Pier 1 and places like that are great for ideas, but the executions of
their 'ideas' usually suck canal water.
Angela saw a japanese room divider and liked the look. I tried to
replicate that parchment look with something that would stand up to
the environment in a bathroom. The whole thing sortakinda worked
backwards from there.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/10/10 12:22 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Oct 10, 12:49 pm, wrote:
Angela saw a japanese room divider and liked the look. I tried to
replicate that parchment look with something that would stand up to
the environment in a bathroom. The whole thing sortakinda worked
backwards from there.

You totally nailed that inspiration.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 09:35:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

Some piccies
All done.

Forgive the colour imbalance, hand-held available light.

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o.../UpstairsBath/

Purrrrrrty.

Smart man. No vessel style sink, 1-pc terlit, curved shower rod,
segregated shower curtain.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/3/2010 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it down
to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new plumbing, tore
out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put in a much better
ventilation system with timer and rewired for new lights.

snip
There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

Excellent, as usual, Rob!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 9:39*am, Swingman wrote:
On 10/3/2010 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it down
to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new plumbing, tore
out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put in a much better
ventilation system with timer and rewired for new lights.

snip
There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

Excellent, as usual, Rob!

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Thanks, Karl.
Granpa on mother's side was a carpenter who had very simple sayings:

"What's done is done."

"If you're going to do it, DO it."

I have the fold-up wooden rule he whacked my hand with when I wasn't
holding my eating utensils properly.
Chewed tobacco 24/6 'cept Sunday.

He taught me many things I didn't become aware of till much later in
life.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 1:55*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

Prine sings:

Grandpa wore his suit to dinner
Nearly every day
No particular reason
He just dressed that way
Brown necktie and a matching vest
And both his wingtip shoes
He built a closet on our back porch
And put a penny in a burned out fuse.

Chorus:
Grandpa was a carpenter
He built houses stores and banks
Chain smoked camel cigarettes
And hammered nails in planks
He was level on the level
And shaved even every door
And voted for eisenhower
'cause lincoln won the war.

Well, he used to sing me "blood on the saddle"
And rock me on his knee
And let me listen to radio
Before we got t.v.
Well, he'd drive to church on sunday
And take me with him too!
Stained glass in every window
Hearing aids in every pew.

Repeat chorus:

Now my grandma was a teacher
Went to school in bowling green
Traded in a milking cow
For a singer sewing machine
She called her husband "mister"
And walked real tall and pride
And used to buy me comic books
After grandpa died.

Repeat chorus:

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2010 12:56 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Prine sings:

Grandpa wore his suit to dinner

Got Pandora channels for John Prine, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall ...
just for the helluvit.

"How old do you think I am? he said.
I said, well, I didn't know.
He said, I turned 65 about 11 months ago."

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 2:38*pm, Swingman wrote:
On 10/11/2010 12:56 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Prine sings:

Grandpa wore his suit to dinner

Got Pandora channels for John Prine, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall ...
just for the helluvit.

"How old do you think I am? he said.
I said, well, I didn't know.
He said, I turned 65 about 11 months ago."

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

I have the Mac Wiseman/ John Prine duet of Old Dogs on CD. Gotto love
it. I play it often.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 10/3/2010 11:21 AM, Robatoy wrote:

New cabinets for the bathroom, it's just a small one, so I took it
down to the studs, new tub, floor, Corian shower walls, new
plumbing, tore out an old window replaced it with glass blocks, put
in a much better ventilation system with timer and rewired for new
lights.

snip
There will be a finished shot in a week or so.

Excellent, as usual, Rob!

Indeed.

As an aside - my wife wanted to go to the local Parade of Homes a couple of
weeks ago, to get ideas on upcoming remodeling in our house. So... of
course - we went. To be honest, I was somewhat interested in ideas myself.
We saw a couple of homes there which had these really cool walk in showers -
no door, just a walk in shower. The one I liked the most I dubbed The Cave.
It was done in a darker gray tile, had two bench seats integrated into it
and was angular in its form. It just made a real statement for me.
Needless to say, I'll build one of those in the bathroom during the said
remodeling. I kinda like the idea of the wife being in the shower and the
whole "open" concept of the no door thing... When I first saw it I thought
"what about the water spraying out onto the floor", then I realized, "who
the hell cares...!!!". Won't look anything like Robatoy's latest
offering...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 11, 4:06*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Swingman wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind, Mike, that the Corian sheets come in 36" x 96" sheets
and lend themselves ideal for a walk-in shower.
As a squeezy-able surface, flat's where it's at. No grout lines.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Keep in mind, Mike, that the Corian sheets come in 36" x 96" sheets
and lend themselves ideal for a walk-in shower.
As a squeezy-able surface, flat's where it's at. No grout lines.

Squeezy-able - now that I like. No grout lines - hell I gave up worrying
about a few lines a long time ago.

--

-Mike-