Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Small Home Project

The 11-12 foot breezeway from my back entry door to the garshop has
sported a tacked-on plastic paneled cover since we bought the house 20 years
ago. Last summer's hail storm prompted me to tear it off last fall (bad
timing going into hunting season). Formulated a building plan, did a few
Sketchup drawings (mostly to calculate some dimensions) and started putting
it all together (alone - ugh) in January. Tried not permitting it but our
small, bedroom community "code enforcement officer" spotted the framing and
paid me a visit. Re-did my drawings and waited out the plan approver.
Now to take a couple of weeks off to rest - and heal. I'm getting too
old to do this, especially the structural framing stuff alone.

Dave in Houston

Attached Thumbnails
Small Home Project-_sep7303-ds640-jpg  Small Home Project-jan_9125-ds640-jpg  Small Home Project-feb_9311-ds640-jpg  Small Home Project-feb_9319-ds640-jpg  Small Home Project-feb_9322-ds640-jpg

Small Home Project-feb_9321-ds640-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice tie in. Don't you love the inspectors. I deal with that always.
Being a Building Contractor I have to decide whether to bring in the County
Office or go for it.
sometimes in a rural area I can get away without a permit.
I tell you, I build it stronger than the engineer too.
Looks like you did a very nice job! Not sure why the gas vent is coming out
at an angle?
Anyway, it does not hurt anything and all that is is cosmetic.
Hey, good work.
John
"Dave In Texas" wrote in message
The 11-12 foot breezeway from my back entry door to the garshop has
sported a tacked-on plastic paneled cover since we bought the house 20
years
ago. Last summer's hail storm prompted me to tear it off last fall (bad
timing going into hunting season). Formulated a building plan, did a few
Sketchup drawings (mostly to calculate some dimensions) and started
putting
it all together (alone - ugh) in January. Tried not permitting it but our
small, bedroom community "code enforcement officer" spotted the framing
and
paid me a visit. Re-did my drawings and waited out the plan approver.
Now to take a couple of weeks off to rest - and heal. I'm getting too
old to do this, especially the structural framing stuff alone.

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"jloomis" wrote in message
Nice tie in. Don't you love the inspectors. I deal with that always.
Being a Building Contractor I have to decide whether to bring in the
County Office or go for it.
sometimes in a rural area I can get away without a permit.
I tell you, I build it stronger than the engineer too.
Looks like you did a very nice job! Not sure why the gas vent is coming
out at an angle?
Anyway, it does not hurt anything and all that is is cosmetic.
Hey, good work.

Thanks, John. When I did get the 'windstorm' inspection last week our
building inspector (not the same guy as the code enforcement officer - go
figure) seemed duly impressed, I think, account I wasn't just some DIY
homeowner cobbling a project like this together.
Called today for the framing inspection. I don't understand how this
part works. 98% of the framing was in place when the guy did the windstorm
inspection. I mean, you have to put all the framing in place so you can put
all the hurricane ties and metal connectors in place. Very little in the
way of structural framing has been added. But, he said to call for the
framing inspection after the roof went on and so, I did. Boxing in the
soffits is about all the 2X work left though I did add a pair of
strongbacks.

Dave in Houston

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 3/3/2010 7:30 PM, Dave In Texas wrote:

"jloomis" wrote in message
[...]

Well done! Better man than me in this day and age ... I hate
finishing/painting, but would do it 20 hours a day instead of framing at
my age.

As you've found out, windstorm is a completely different and separate
inspection than framing, and deals with strapping, gable end bracing
(also checked in framing inspections in hurricane areas), sheer wall,
etc (last not applicable in a single story).

What part of Texas? One thing I did notice is an apparent absence of
collar ties in your rafters (unless you put them in later, or they just
can't be seen in the pictures)? If that is the case, that absence would
guarantee a fail on the framing inspection in the Gulf Coast regions I
build in, but that would depend upon your area.

Any way ... judging by the photos, you did a better job than many
framing crews these days.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

Well done! Better man than me in this day and age ... I hate
finishing/painting, but would do it 20 hours a day instead of framing at
my age.

I'm paying for it; believe me. Up and down ladders, using what arm and
upper body strength I have left to maneuver in and around rafters /joists,
holding on or bracing with one arm in some twisted position while holding a
Senco N65 at arms length. Shoulders, knees, hands - ouch.

As you've found out, windstorm is a completely different and separate
inspection than framing, and deals with strapping, gable end bracing (also
checked in framing inspections in hurricane areas), sheer wall, etc (last
not applicable in a single story).

What part of Texas? One thing I did notice is an apparent absence of
collar ties in your rafters (unless you put them in later, or they just
can't be seen in the pictures)? If that is the case, that absence would
guarantee a fail on the framing inspection in the Gulf Coast regions I
build in, but that would depend upon your area.

Close; Beltway 8 and 290. No collar ties though it wouldn't take much
to add them on a project this size. Inspector never mentioned them and all
the framing was there for him to see. Since all the joists are tied to the
rafters which are tied to the plate and all the rafters are tied to the
ridge (see attached photos) collar ties seem superfluous though I'm sure
they must add some stiffening. Aren't joists just full length collar ties?
Oddly enough, this 1957 house did not have collar ties when I had it
inspected prior to closing. I mentioned it to the home inspector who I was
paying and he put it in his report. I ended up adding them myself before we
closed. That was 20 years ago [this month].

Any way ... judging by the photos, you did a better job than many framing
crews these days.

Thank you. I can afford to take my time. I've seen work by some of
those crews on "custom homes" of my 'Yiddish' home builder friend (West U,
Bellaire). I suspect those crews get paid by the square foot and that the
faster they get it up the more dollars per hour they can make. They
seemingly shoot twice as many nails as necessary because half of what they
shoot miss the mark.
Knowing you're a builder, Swing, I appreciate "making the grade."
Do you ever play Goode Company anymore? I'd like to know if you ever
play the new one at 290 and 6.
--
Dave in Houston
flickr :: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuwave_dave/

Attached Thumbnails
Small Home Project-feb_9311-ds850-nx2-60-jpg  Small Home Project-feb_9309-ds850-nx2-60-jpg

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On 3/4/2010 12:08 AM, Dave In Texas wrote:

I'm paying for it; believe me. Up and down ladders, using what arm and
upper body strength I have left to maneuver in and around rafters
/joists, holding on or bracing with one arm in some twisted position
while holding a Senco N65 at arms length. Shoulders, knees, hands - ouch.

Hell, I just framed a chicken coop, fer crissakes, and I'm still
suffering. (It would be nice, just once again, to shave the left side of
my face with my right hand, but my shoulder won't let me).

Oddly enough, this 1957 house did not have collar ties when I had it
inspected prior to closing. I mentioned it to the home inspector who I
was paying and he put it in his report. I ended up adding them myself
before we closed. That was 20 years ago [this month].

Strictly IMO, it is a good idea to bite the bullet and put them in in a
hurricane prone area. Like you say, not much at all for the added stiffness.

Thank you. I can afford to take my time. I've seen work by some of those
crews on "custom homes" of my 'Yiddish' home builder friend (West U,
Bellaire). I suspect those crews get paid by the square foot and that
the faster they get it up the more dollars per hour they can make. They
seemingly shoot twice as many nails as necessary because half of what
they shoot miss the mark.

AAMOF, I do live in WestU myself and have built quite a few homes there.
This is our latest brouhaha on the "building inspection" front ...
...they made the mistake of asking me

http://instantnewswestu.com/2010/02/23/8110/

Framing is definitely bid on a square foot basis around these parts.
I've been using the same framing company, Leonel Hernandez Framing out
of Pasadena, for almost a decade. Some of his crews are better than
others, but they're all good and after a few houses I can now generally
get the crew I want from Leo. Like building square cabinets from the git
go, it's a real comfort, and time saver, to have someone meticulous and
who can do framing the old fashioned way.

Knowing you're a builder, Swing, I appreciate "making the grade."

LOL ... I could tell just by looking at the 'precision' that a
"wooddorker" did the framing!

Sheeeesh, Bubba!, this is "framing", fer crying out loud!

Do you ever play Goode Company anymore? I'd like to know if you ever
play the new one at 290 and 6.

Haven't played Goode Co. in years. Haven't hung it up yet, but I have
slowed down.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08