Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Metal Lathe

Since you folks have helped to cultivate me into a "tool junkie", I have
the following question. Which, if any, of the metal lathes/mills on
the following page would you buy, and why (what would you make?)? I
assume at the very least one could make some cool drawer pulls, though I
think that it would be difficult to justify ownership on that.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=460000

I made a center punch and a screwdriver handle on one in h.s.
So just barely knowing how to use a lathe, I haven't much of a clue
what to do with a mill. I'm interested though. A hadtobe "50 year old"
beautiful metal lathe sold for auction here for about $400 last week.
Probably weighed 1 T or more. If I had the means to get it home I would
have made a bid. I made an extra trip back to the auction that day just
to see it go. I think the brand name label started with a 'K' and it
definitely said "Cincinnatti and Indianapolis" underneath the brand
name. It's gone. Just the leftover ramblings of a tool junkie... : )

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill,

Another great place to ask these questions would be the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/28/2010 4:39 AM, Stuart wrote:

Do allow in your budget for the tooling you will need, which can amount to
a sizable amount.

I recommend subscribing to

Done. Thank you for your post!

Being familiar with the difference between wood and metal, I also
subscribed to rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup right after I sent my
post last night (thanks Joe). I saw some Wrecker's names there too!

Bill

Where you will find a great deal of help and useful advice.

Stuart

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 27, 8:23*pm, Bill wrote:
Since you folks have helped to cultivate me into a "tool junkie", I have
the following question. * Which, if any, of the metal lathes/mills on
the following page would you buy, and why (what would you make?)? *I
assume at the very least one could make some cool drawer pulls, though I
think that it would be difficult to justify ownership on that.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=460000

Bill

I looked at the link and the Grizzlys were sorted by price. So
determine your budget and see f you can live with whatever. I bought a
Birmingham 13 X 40 about 4 years ago. Been pleased with it. Went
through billsmachineshop.com I think it is. What made the final
determination was the space I had for it and I did want the 40" center
to center.

As another said allow for tooling. I probably have spent $1000.00 for
tooling. I did luck out and got a real load of stuff at an auction.
Have sold what I did not need for almost the $1000.00 I paid for
tooling.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:46:30 -0400, Bill
wrote:

On 9/28/2010 4:39 AM, Stuart wrote:

Do allow in your budget for the tooling you will need, which can amount to
a sizable amount.

I recommend subscribing to

Done. Thank you for your post!

Being familiar with the difference between wood and metal, I also
subscribed to rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup right after I sent my
post last night (thanks Joe). I saw some Wrecker's names there too!

waves hand Also see the mini website. Great stuff.
www.mini-lathe.com which also covers mods to the mini-mills.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bob AZ wrote:

I looked at the link and the Grizzlys were sorted by price. So
determine your budget and see f you can live with whatever. I bought a
Birmingham 13 X 40 about 4 years ago. Been pleased with it.

snip

Bob AZ

I looked at your lathe. Very nice! I've got a lot to learn. I found
someone as work who is willing to give me a short lesson. Basicially, I
learned about a project he had, and I asked if I could watch! : )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Bill,

Another great place to ask these questions would be the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

I've enjoyed following several of your posts there.

I thought it was worth reporting that they appear to have a more
difficult time staying on topic in that newsgroup then we do here in the
Wreck! : )

By the way, I ran across a seemingly "great" book yesterday, "Modern
Toolmaking Methods", by Franklin T. Jones, 1915. It's available for free
download via Google (books). I think it transcends woodworking or
metalworking. I'll leave it to someone who's actually read it to comment
further if they want to. It left me with a "I wish I had found this
sooner" sort of feeling.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill

By the way, I ran across a seemingly "great" book yesterday, "Modern
Toolmaking Methods", by Franklin T. Jones, 1915. It's available for free
download via Google (books). *I think it transcends woodworking or
metalworking. I'll leave it to someone who's actually read it to comment
further if they want to. *It left me with a "I wish I had found this
sooner" sort of feeling.

Bill

I came up empty on this. Any suggestions?

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bob AZ" wrote in message
I came up empty on this. Any suggestions?

http://alturl.com/942av

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Bill,

Another great place to ask these questions would be the
rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

I've enjoyed following several of your posts there.

I thought it was worth reporting that they appear to have a more difficult
time staying on topic in that newsgroup then we do here in the Wreck! : )

That they do! There are some metalworkers who double as survivalists who
think posting to multiple newsgroups at the same time is acceptable and fun.
Pfft.

By the way, I ran across a seemingly "great" book yesterday, "Modern
Toolmaking Methods", by Franklin T. Jones, 1915. It's available for free
download via Google (books). I think it transcends woodworking or
metalworking. I'll leave it to someone who's actually read it to comment
further if they want to. It left me with a "I wish I had found this
sooner" sort of feeling.

I'll check out the links posted in the follow-ups. Thank you.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/30/2010 9:04 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message

By the way, I ran across a seemingly "great" book yesterday, "Modern
Toolmaking Methods", by Franklin T. Jones, 1915. It's available for free
download via Google (books). I think it transcends woodworking or
metalworking. I'll leave it to someone who's actually read it to comment
further if they want to. It left me with a "I wish I had found this
sooner" sort of feeling.

I'll check out the links posted in the follow-ups. Thank you.

FYI, I noticed that the author also has published a number of related books.

Having spent a bit more time with the book, I mentioned, I was curious
whether it has been succeeded by a more modern one that someone might
recommend?

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

By the way, I ran across a seemingly "great" book yesterday, "Modern
Toolmaking Methods", by Franklin T. Jones, 1915. It's available for free
download via Google (books). I think it transcends woodworking or
metalworking. I'll leave it to someone who's actually read it to comment
further if they want to. It left me with a "I wish I had found this
sooner" sort of feeling.

I'll check out the links posted in the follow-ups. Thank you.

FYI, I noticed that the author also has published a number of related
books.

Having spent a bit more time with the book, I mentioned, I was curious
whether it has been succeeded by a more modern one that someone might
recommend?

After looking around a while, you will see that the most informative books
on machine work were written before the mid 1900's. When I was in tech
school for machine work, some of the books we used (in particular the math
book), were written in the early 1900's. The school had them reprinted. Even
the Machinery's Handbook has gotten less and less informative over the
years. My 21st edition is the one still in my toolbox, published in 1980.
Shows you where this trade has gone when a 30 year old engineering book is
better than a new one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
wrote in message

Having spent a bit more time with the book, I mentioned, I was curious
whether it has been succeeded by a more modern one that someone might
recommend?

After looking around a while, you will see that the most informative books
on machine work were written before the mid 1900's.

I wondered whether something like this was true. Thanks for your post.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Stuart wrote:

I recommend subscribing to

Where you will find a great deal of help and useful advice.

Stuart

Stuart, You are definitely right. This is the first forum/site related
to metalworking I've seen that had posts I could relate to.
Thanks, Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

At an estate sale, I ran across a collection of a few DOZEN 3/8" tool
bits mostly ground to various shapes, some unground, and quite a few
pieces of cylindrical stock (probably steel, too hard?).

Might this be worth collecting for use on a mini-lathe later? Browsing
at Amazon, it appears that the cutting bits go for less than I might
have guessed--but maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges. Bits like this
aren't too big for use on a mini-lathe, are they? I think they are
surely old (but no rust). Think they are worth chasing down? I will
try unless you talk me out of it! : )

Of course, I'm the same person who was (almost "out of his mind")
seriously considering buying a 50 year old metalworking lathe a few
weeks ago. After doing a little research, I now realize that would
probably have been a mistake--surely well-worn and "impossible" to get
parts for. A mini-lathe would probably serve me fine, with probably a
lot less headaches! There are some "one of a kind" parts I would like
to craft for a 19th-century style banjo.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Perfect size. If you get them at a good price, do it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lots of folks think 50 is a magic number- doe a search for Old Woodworking
Machines, and then down to Old Metalworking machines. All sorts of folks
rebuilding, using them
Anne
"CW" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote:

At an estate sale, I ran across a collection of a few DOZEN 3/8"
tool bits mostly ground to various shapes, some unground, and quite
a few pieces of cylindrical stock (probably steel, too hard?).

Might this be worth collecting for use on a mini-lathe later?

Assume they all have to be sharpened.

$1/pound sounds about right.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Bill" wrote:

At an estate sale, I ran across a collection of a few DOZEN 3/8"
tool bits mostly ground to various shapes, some unground, and quite
a few pieces of cylindrical stock (probably steel, too hard?).

Might this be worth collecting for use on a mini-lathe later?

Assume they all have to be sharpened.

$1/pound sounds about right.

Lew

Thank you. That doesn't make them sound too valuable.
They are all currently residing in a fancy antique tool chest which
could quite likely get in my way of getting the bits. It has lots of
drawers, some side-by-side, and a slide out cover which buckles down,and
a mirror. It's exactly like this one I located on Google if you can
follow this long link:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...43&tx=67&ty=56

However, the one in the picture appears to be in better condition. I
was only after the bits and metal stock anyway! Maybe my wife would love
to see the toolbox in the living room? No, seriously!

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

I suspect the 50 year old metal lathe may run extremely well, even
today. Yes, if it is broken it would be harder to get parts. Yes, if
it is broken it may not be the right machine. But I think you should
consider it if possible. Also, owwm.org has added a metal working
posting page. Ask a few of those folks about the one you saw. See what
they think.

Mike in Ohio hilliardman on owwm
snip
Of course, I'm the same person who was (almost "out of his mind")
seriously considering buying a 50 year old metalworking lathe a few
weeks ago. After doing a little research, I now realize that would
probably have been a mistake--surely well-worn and "impossible" to get
parts for. A mini-lathe would probably serve me fine, with probably a
lot less headaches! There are some "one of a kind" parts I would like to
craft for a 19th-century style banjo.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael Kenefick wrote:
I suspect the 50 year old metal lathe may run extremely well, even
today. Yes, if it is broken it would be harder to get parts. Yes, if it
is broken it may not be the right machine. But I think you should
consider it if possible. Also, owwm.org has added a metal working
posting page. Ask a few of those folks about the one you saw. See what
they think.

I will look. Thanks! -Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Here's a much better view of that "tool box" I was describing.
Evidently, it's holding just what is was designed for...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mach...ak-Chest/H8266

Auction tomorrow...

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Here's a much better view of that "tool box" I was describing.
Evidently, it's holding just what is was designed for...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mach...ak-Chest/H8266

Auction tomorrow...

Bill

Check to see if it's a Gerstner tool chest.

See:

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CARTgallery1.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Bill wrote:
Here's a much better view of that "tool box" I was describing.
Evidently, it's holding just what is was designed for...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mach...ak-Chest/H8266

Auction tomorrow...

Bill

Check to see if it's a Gerstner tool chest.

See:

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/CARTgallery1.htm

It was an imitation Gerstner. I found a similar one at Amazon.com for
$139. The auctioneer even said it "looked like" a Gerstner. With it's
content: several calipers, cutting bits, blanks, and other small
miscellaneous stuff, it went for $140 + 10% (buyer's premium) + 7%
sales tax. I was prepared to bid but turned away when the bidding got
to $100. I don't even own a lathe--but I figured there was enough
there to get me off to a good start! : )

Each item I encounter like this leaves me a little wiser. For instance,
last week I would not been able to tell the difference between a
machinist's toolbox and a loaf of bread...and that's just a run of the
mill bit.... %)

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-10-04 22:25:43 -0400, Bill said:

I will look. Thanks! -Bill

Check Craigslist. Somebody in the Indpls area has listed a South Bend
lathe under the rather opaque title, "10." There are several smaller
metal lathes listed as well.

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Metal lathe Phil Hansen Woodturning 8 September 3rd 07 07:49 AM
Metal lathe Phil Hansen Metalworking 0 September 2nd 07 04:55 PM
Metal Lathe [email protected] Metalworking 1 January 2nd 05 02:08 AM
Metal Lathe Accessories Charles Morrill Metalworking 0 November 27th 04 07:19 PM