Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Metal Lathe

Since you folks have helped to cultivate me into a "tool junkie", I have
the following question. Which, if any, of the metal lathes/mills on
the following page would you buy, and why (what would you make?)? I
assume at the very least one could make some cool drawer pulls, though I
think that it would be difficult to justify ownership on that.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=460000

I made a center punch and a screwdriver handle on one in h.s.
So just barely knowing how to use a lathe, I haven't much of a clue
what to do with a mill. I'm interested though. A hadtobe "50 year old"
beautiful metal lathe sold for auction here for about $400 last week.
Probably weighed 1 T or more. If I had the means to get it home I would
have made a bid. I made an extra trip back to the auction that day just
to see it go. I think the brand name label started with a 'K' and it
definitely said "Cincinnatti and Indianapolis" underneath the brand
name. It's gone. Just the leftover ramblings of a tool junkie... : )

Bill