Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Right Angle Drill Powered by Regular Batteries?

I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

I dont know of any power tool that has or had alkaline batteries and none
that I know of that uses normal batteries, what ever normal batteries may
be.

Nickel-Metal Hydride is about as basic and old technology s you are going to
find available today.

I would be shocked to learn of a worthwhile drill that runs on non
rechargable or throw away batteries.

I have had this drill since the mid 80's. It needed a new battery 10 years
ago, so I hear you on wanting something that is going to waste away.

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/...ils.aspx?ID=37

Consider also a corded right angle drill.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...a rter+Drills

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Sep, 21:13, "W" wrote:
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. * *This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. * Any recommendations for this?

What about getting hold of a second-hand one from somewhere, ideally
with a knackered battery, and cobbling together a new battery pack
made from these Sanyo Eneloop type rechargeables that hold their
charge for a long time? I think they have a NiMH chemistry, but have a
long shelf life.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote in message
Any recommendations for this?

How about a slightly different solution?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
and to the right angle driver, you'd add a quick change chuck with a hex
shaft.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

In this day and age you're unlikely to find one that is not part of some
manufacturer's tool system. The battery doesn't have to be lithium to
be proprietary though--every major manufacturer had proprietary nicad or
nimh batteries long before lithium.

You don't say what it has to do. How big a hole does it have to drill
and in what? There are all sorts of right angle solutions, but without
more information it's difficult to suggest one that is appropriate to
your needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in message
"W" wrote in message
Any recommendations for this?

How about a slightly different solution?
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417
and to the right angle driver, you'd add a quick change chuck with a hex
shaft.

I went ahead and picked up one of these thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice

year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

In this day and age you're unlikely to find one that is not part of some
manufacturer's tool system. The battery doesn't have to be lithium to
be proprietary though--every major manufacturer had proprietary nicad or
nimh batteries long before lithium.

You don't say what it has to do. How big a hole does it have to drill
and in what? There are all sorts of right angle solutions, but without
more information it's difficult to suggest one that is appropriate to
your needs.

This tool will be used to drill in electrical faceplates in tight spaces as
well as tighten screws on door knobs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 18, 6:05*pm, "W" wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message

On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:
[...]

I'd be nervous about stripping the knob set screw. When I'm concerned
about torque I like to use a hand tool. Smaller, simpler and more
versatile is better. I use one of those little stubby ratchet sets,
similar this:
http://www.toolsdiy.co.uk/shop/view/...rewdriver-bit/
Mine's nicer, smaller and comes in a little vinyl kit - think it's
automotive, but I don't have it on hand to check out the brand. The
things are great - there's no way you'd be faster and surer with a
power tool...certainly not cheaper and arguably more versatile.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 13:13:43 -0700, "W"
wrote:

I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Try eBay.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
Posted to rec.woodworking

I found LI didn't like my shop. Can't freeze them or cook them in the summer.

Got two for Christmas - the one I kept in the house runs nice. The wrench
I got for a shop machine - died. Not replaceable without dissemble actions.
I might look at finding a replacement battery of some sort.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 9/18/2010 4:01 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

In this day and age you're unlikely to find one that is not part of some
manufacturer's tool system. The battery doesn't have to be lithium to be
proprietary though--every major manufacturer had proprietary nicad or nimh
batteries long before lithium.

You don't say what it has to do. How big a hole does it have to drill and in
what? There are all sorts of right angle solutions, but without more information
it's difficult to suggest one that is appropriate to your needs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:32:29 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

"W" wrote in message
[...]

Put a cord on the old battery drill and connect it to a 12 volt
battery when you need to use it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote
(in article ):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I looked long and hard for a quality RA adapter that wasn't made of plastic.
I love this unit:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...oductId=49-22-
8510&CategoryName=SC%3a+Adapters

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote
(in article ):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I looked long and hard for a quality RA adapter that wasn't made of
plastic.
I love this unit:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...oductId=49-22-
8510&CategoryName=SC%3a+Adapters

-Bruce

I missed the wrap on that URL and couldn't find the RA accessory.
A tinyurl would have worked. OMG, what am I saying? Jaquez will be
offended.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/10 11:10 AM, Max wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote
(in article ):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I looked long and hard for a quality RA adapter that wasn't made of
plastic.
I love this unit:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...oductId=49-22-
8510&CategoryName=SC%3a+Adapters

-Bruce

I missed the wrap on that URL and couldn't find the RA accessory.
A tinyurl would have worked. OMG, what am I saying? Jaquez will be
offended.

:http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...SC%3a+Adapters

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

http://supercolonblow.files.wordpres...colonblow2.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:10:03 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 15:00:56 -0600, Upscale wrote
(in article ):

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,43417

I looked long and hard for a quality RA adapter that wasn't made of
plastic.
I love this unit:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...oductId=49-22-
8510&CategoryName=SC%3a+Adapters

I missed the wrap on that URL and couldn't find the RA accessory.
A tinyurl would have worked. OMG, what am I saying? Jaquez will be
offended.

Only at a preview, Maxxy Baby. That and spaces in filenames.

Oh, and the use of "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of",
"tempacher", "for my wife and I", and a few others.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:03:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

http://supercolonblow.files.wordpres...colonblow2.jpg

(singing) Oooooohhhh... It ain't no use if you ain't got the boost,
the boost you get from Looseners! Loooooooooooooo-snerrrrrrrz! Castor
Oil Flakes.

--
Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for
anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one
tumble down the stairs.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:10:03 -0600, "Max"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Geez, Lar, could you make a list for me. I hate to offend
anyone.....................unintentionally.

Max (by the way, it's "Maxie", not Maxxy) sheesh.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one for
$19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 20:20:37 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one for
$19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

Cheap plastic chinese crap - but would work for the OP's purposes
(basically a light duty screwdriver)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one for
$19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

Cheap plastic chinese crap - but would work for the OP's purposes
(basically a light duty screwdriver)

There were others. Like Milwaukee brand, but high price. ww

Posted to rec.woodworking

A better solution for twice a year usage:

http://woodworker.com/38-right-angle-drill-attachment-mssu-121-337.asp?search=right%20angle%20drill&searchmode=2

or

http://woodworker.com/drive90-rt-angle-driver-attachment-mssu-152-582.asp?search=right%20angle%20drill&searchmode=2

On 9/18/2010 4:13 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/2010 11:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

http://supercolonblow.files.wordpres...colonblow2.jpg

SPEW! (wipes spittle from the screen)

Any idea if there are bigger versions of that image? I've gotta make a few
people aware of this new product! LOL!

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2010 3:48 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 9/19/2010 11:03 AM, Robatoy wrote:

The colon usually helps avoid the wrap.

http://supercolonblow.files.wordpres...colonblow2.jpg

SPEW! (wipes spittle from the screen)

Any idea if there are bigger versions of that image? I've gotta make a
few people aware of this new product! LOL!

It's from an SNL sketch, so it would be a video capture.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/10304/saturday-night-live-colon-blow

Posted to rec.woodworking

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one for
$19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

I've stripped the gears on two of the HF ones just doing normal load would
drilling with a 3/8 bit. Sometimes HF gets a hit and its worth the risk.
Not for their right angle adaptor. Swing and a miss.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe
twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and
proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one
for
$19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

Cheap plastic chinese crap - but would work for the OP's purposes
(basically a light duty screwdriver)

There were others. Like Milwaukee brand, but high price. ww

Milwaukee makes a heavy duty one that goes on their big d-handle drills. I
have one. Its handy at times when predrilling wood frame construction for
wiring but way too big and heavy for getting into the tight spaces I
envision the OP wanting it for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/2010 10:48 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"WW" wrote in message
. ..

"W" wrote in message
I am looking for a small handheld right angle drill that is powered by
normal alkaline or Nimh batteries. This unit will be used maybe twice a
year and it hardly seems worth the hassle of a recharger and proprietary
lithium battery. Any recommendations for this?

Google Angle drill attachment. Several here. Harbor Freight has one
for $19.99 Part # 92188. Did your homework for you. ww

I've stripped the gears on two of the HF ones just doing normal load
would drilling with a 3/8 bit. Sometimes HF gets a hit and its worth the
risk. Not for their right angle adaptor. Swing and a miss.

Harbor Freight's customer reviews say the same thing. OTOH, their 15
buck air drill is only 7-1/2 inches long and their air stuff is usually
decent.

Batteries in solar powered garden LED lights John UK diy 8 April 14th 09 06:19 PM
Drill powered vac? david lang UK diy 8 January 9th 06 10:13 PM
right angle drill Swingman Woodworking 4 November 2nd 05 12:18 AM
AC powered Smoke alarms and their batteries Eric Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 01:37 AM
Milwaukee Hammer Drill or regular cordless.... Sam Woodworking 4 January 9th 04 01:37 AM