Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MagicJack

On 9/17/2010 8:53 AM, Han wrote:
"Mike wrote in
:

Robatoy wrote:

I have talked to a few people VOIP and the quality varies immensely.
Some have such awful echo's as to be unusable. Some are as clear as a
bell and one particular number I talk to can be great, noisy or
echo-y without there being any reason as to why. My BIL is overseas
(Far East) and he will call and the first thing he'll ask is how the
connection is. If it sucks, he calls right back and often it will
change up or down.

VoIP is still in the refinement stages across all carriers, but this
is VoIP over the public internet. I'd expect a lot of quality issues
with it. Is your BIL using the public internet for his VoIP, or is he
going through a carrier?

I use Skype to call my sister in France. Mostly, no problems whatsoever.
The worst is generally a slight delay.

I also agree that the quality of VoIP varies a lot. I used Skype between
Lhasa Tibet and my family in West Virginia. It worked great. I tried it
between Mammoth Lakes California and my family and it was not usable.
Mammoth Lakes has poor internet service.

Dan
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
In the SFWIW category, I bought into the MagicJack package a couple
of months ago.

It performs as advertised.

My BIL looked into that but now uses a free internet program, all you
need to buy is a web cam.

I'm curious what people are experiencing in quality with voice over the
public internet. It's not the ideal transport.

My BIL swears by it, he got rid of his regular telephone land line and uses
a dumbed down DSL of sorts, it runs at 756 mbps IIRC, and he uses it for
conference calls with an attorney that he works with, they both use it, to
avoid cell phone usage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/18/2010 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:
"Mike wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"Lew wrote in message
In the SFWIW category, I bought into the MagicJack package a couple
of months ago.

It performs as advertised.

My BIL looked into that but now uses a free internet program, all you
need to buy is a web cam.

I'm curious what people are experiencing in quality with voice over the
public internet. It's not the ideal transport.

My BIL swears by it, he got rid of his regular telephone land line and uses
a dumbed down DSL of sorts, it runs at 756 mbps IIRC, and he uses it for
conference calls with an attorney that he works with, they both use it, to
avoid cell phone usage.

If you've got any kind of broadband the problem with voice would be
latency, not bandwidth.