Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cottage Sign

This pin-router thread has got me to thinking -- I could easily make a
pin-router setup, and with a pin router, I could say make a really
nice sign for a cottage.

Of course, I don't know anything about making signs. So, I thought
I'd start a new thread. The idea would be to put something together,
and then use my pin router to do the inlay, and roughen out some spots
with a half round chisel.

So... a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join
Cedar? How thick would you need? How would you finish it? (how would
you paint it?)

Thanks,

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

So... *a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join
Cedar? *How thick would you need? *How would you finish it? (how would
you paint it?)

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure a pin router is the best bet for a sign, if you mean
routed letters into the wood, as opposed to making individual letters
that would latter be glued or attached to a sign. With pin routers you
attach a blank to a pattern and rout the blank to the shape of the
pattern. It is not a panagraph type stereo tracing thing.

Regardless, yes you can biscuit Cedar but not sure it would be needed,
depending on the case. I assume a cottage sign is an exterior
application so use epoxy with good clamping until dry and you'll have
no problem. Biscuits can help alignemnt of needed. Paint as you would
any exterior house wood but cedar don't need it. Maybe a penetrating
oil stain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 7:02*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
So... *a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join
Cedar? *How thick would you need? *How would you finish it? (how would
you paint it?)

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure a pin router is the best bet for a sign, if you mean
routed letters into the wood, as opposed to making individual letters
that would latter be glued or attached to a sign. With pin routers you
attach a blank to a pattern and rout the blank to the shape of the
pattern. It is not a panagraph type stereo tracing thing.

Hmmm... I would have thought that if you wanted to go all the way
through, you would simply use a guided bit. But if you didn't want to
go all the way through (like say on a sign...). I was looking at
signs like this http://www.canadianimpressions.ca I can't tell
whether the letters were glued on for this, but the closer I look, the
more I think you might be right about that.

Also, this guy mentions 'sand-blasted cedar'... I happen to have a
sandblaster... boy this weekends going to be fun!

(Check out the funny signs bit of the link above. I had a good
laugh.)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

John wrote in news:2667954a-c3c6-4d02-82ca-
:

signs like this
http://www.canadianimpressions.ca

Now, that's looney grin.
A phone number, but no name or address. Hmmm.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 10:07 AM, John wrote:
On Aug 26, 7:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

He has a cut vinyl sign business as well. I would bet that he cuts the
pattern on his vinyl cutter, sticks it to the cedar, and then sandblasts
and everywhere that there's no vinyl gets cut away.

(Check out the funny signs bit of the link above. I had a good
laugh.)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 7:07*am, John wrote:
On Aug 26, 7:02*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote: So... *a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join

*I was looking at
signs like thishttp://www.canadianimpressions.ca* I can't tell

Yeah, this is not work for a pin router.

This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they
call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't
go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make
some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a
computer version of the pattern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 12:18*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
On Aug 27, 7:07*am, John wrote:

On Aug 26, 7:02*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote: So... *a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join

*I was looking at
signs like thishttp://www.canadianimpressions.ca*I can't tell

Yeah, this is not work for a pin router.

This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they
call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't
go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make
some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a
computer version of the pattern.

I don't see much point in making the pin router anymore then (which is
to bad, because I had such a good design for it to!)... sigh...

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote
This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they
call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't
go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make
some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a
computer version of the pattern.

Read product reviews for the craftsman CNC before you buy. If you do, you
probably will not buy. Worst reviews I have ever read for ANY product.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/27/2010 9:21 PM, Morgans wrote:
wrote
This would be best with a CNC router or on a smaller scale what they
call an engraver (craftsman makes\made one), or a laser (which won't
go so deep) or with sand blasting but in that case you need to make
some pattern that will resist the sand, for the others you just need a
computer version of the pattern.

Read product reviews for the craftsman CNC before you buy. If you do, you
probably will not buy. Worst reviews I have ever read for ANY product.

The only ones listed on the Sears site are reconditioned. The Sears
machine was a relabelled Carvewright. According to the Carvewright site
they have a new version of the machine out that has been completely
redisigned to address the problems with the older one.

jacking up cottage tandem Home Repair 1 April 27th 07 02:59 PM
Cottage Insulation, HELP! [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 5th 06 03:29 AM
winter use of cottage? Some1 Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 05:11 PM
Highway Sign control by Digital Sign Plexaglass Electronics Repair 0 November 23rd 04 07:04 PM
COTTAGE FOR SALE Danielle Home Ownership 0 August 25th 04 05:51 PM