Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cottage Insulation, HELP!

I'm restoring a small barn (10' wide x 16' deep, with a 4' x 8' side
lean-to). It's built over a hillside, and supported by steel columns
placed in concrete footings, which replaced the old wood pilings. The
entire frame is 2" x 4" construction, including the rafters.

Here's the problem: I live in NY State, and need to insulate the barn
well in order to use it in Winter, as a home office. The building code
calls for R38 in the ceiling, and a minimum of R11 for the exterior
walls.

The walls are no problem, since I can install an R15 batt insulation,
and although I'd like a higher R value, I can't get it unless I build
out the studs to 2' x 6".

The problem is that the 2' x 4' rafters aren't deep enough for adequate
insulation. So here are my choices, and I need some advice from someone
knowedgable.

Forgot to mention that I'm replacing the roof.

1. Replace the 2" x 4" rafters with at least 2' x 8", or even 2" x 12"
rafters, and put the highest R value batt insulation available,

or,

2. Leave the existing rafters, and use 2 layers of rigid foam
insulation over the new plywood roof sheating. I saw some R12 rigid
foam insulation at Home Depot, so 2 layers of that (R24) and batt
insulation (R 15, gives me R39.

What's the best (and least expensive) solution? Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The problem is that the 2' x 4' rafters aren't deep enough for adequate
insulation. So here are my choices, and I need some advice from someone
knowedgable.

assuming you wouldn't be asking this question if you had a flat attic you could insulate, if you want R38 in the roof, you will need 12" of fiberglass PLUS a ventilation space. I would guress the cheapest way to attain that would be to build down the existing rafters with another 2x4 which could be hung with plywood gussets. this system would reduce thermal bridging which is a good thing. then install r 38 batts. foam would be a nice way to go but it is expensive in comparison to fiberglass. if you lay foam on top of the roof, you will need to add another layer of plywood on top of that (though if it's steel, i suppose you could just add some firring.).

BTW, i once owned a house that had 2x4 walls. I firred them out with
2x2's and insulated with r 21 batts. was quite easy and worth it i
thought.

COTTAGE CANDLE J T Woodworking 0 December 1st 05 03:27 PM
winter use of cottage? Some1 Home Repair 2 October 16th 05 05:11 PM
Cottage - foundation type Chris Home Ownership 3 February 25th 05 11:17 PM
COTTAGE FOR SALE Danielle Home Ownership 0 August 25th 04 05:51 PM
Old Granite cottage renovation Robin Soper UK diy 16 March 4th 04 10:38 PM