Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Cottage Sign

On Aug 26, 7:02*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
So... *a few questions that I can think of: can you biscuit join
Cedar? *How thick would you need? *How would you finish it? (how would
you paint it?)

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure a pin router is the best bet for a sign, if you mean
routed letters into the wood, as opposed to making individual letters
that would latter be glued or attached to a sign. With pin routers you
attach a blank to a pattern and rout the blank to the shape of the
pattern. It is not a panagraph type stereo tracing thing.

Hmmm... I would have thought that if you wanted to go all the way
through, you would simply use a guided bit. But if you didn't want to
go all the way through (like say on a sign...). I was looking at
signs like this http://www.canadianimpressions.ca I can't tell
whether the letters were glued on for this, but the closer I look, the
more I think you might be right about that.

Also, this guy mentions 'sand-blasted cedar'... I happen to have a
sandblaster... boy this weekends going to be fun!

(Check out the funny signs bit of the link above. I had a good
laugh.)

John