Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wine cellar door question

I am building a wine cellar. The door choices are mindboggling but I have
narrowed it down to two similar doors (3'0x8'0, two panels, top is glass
2/3, bottom is raised panel 1/3). The first door is solid mahogany. The
other is mahogany veneer over MDF. Both are rated for exterior. I am in
FL. The cellar will be cooled to 55 (humidity at 60-70%), the other side
will be at about 75, humidity at 40-50%. I'm told that the MDF will hold up
better and not warp. Any thoughts?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike" wrote in message
m...
I am building a wine cellar. The door choices are mindboggling but I have
narrowed it down to two similar doors (3'0x8'0, two panels, top is glass
2/3, bottom is raised panel 1/3). The first door is solid mahogany. The
other is mahogany veneer over MDF. Both are rated for exterior. I am in
FL. The cellar will be cooled to 55 (humidity at 60-70%), the other side
will be at about 75, humidity at 40-50%. I'm told that the MDF will hold
up better and not warp. Any thoughts?

I should add that the price difference is immaterial and the core is FSC
certified laminated veneer lumber (LVL) core not MDF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 8:48*am, "Mike" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

m...I am building a wine cellar. *The door choices are mindboggling but I have
narrowed it down to two similar doors (3'0x8'0, two panels, top is glass
2/3, bottom is raised panel 1/3). *The first door is solid mahogany. *The
other is mahogany veneer over MDF. *Both are rated for exterior. *I am in
FL. *The cellar will be cooled to 55 (humidity at 60-70%), the other side
will be at about 75, humidity at 40-50%. *I'm told that the MDF will hold
up better and not warp. *Any thoughts?

I should add that the price difference is immaterial and the core is FSC
certified laminated veneer lumber (LVL) core not MDF.

I made mine out of lauan door skins (1/8") sandwiching a extruded
polystyrene core (blue Styrofoam) and a western red cedar 2X2 frame.
More insulation = better

But living int he Yukon, the municipal water comes in at 2-4 degrees
Celsius, so I run all my water through radiators on the wine cellar
ceiling. Keeps it at 10-12 degrees all year round.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 3, 11:40*am, "Mike" wrote:
I am building a wine cellar. *The door choices are mindboggling but I have
narrowed it down to two similar doors (3'0x8'0, two panels, top is glass
2/3, bottom is raised panel 1/3). *The first door is solid mahogany. *The
other is mahogany veneer over MDF. *Both are rated for exterior. *I am in
FL. *The cellar will be cooled to 55 (humidity at 60-70%), the other side
will be at about 75, humidity at 40-50%. *I'm told that the MDF will hold up
better and not warp. *Any thoughts?

If the door is sealed on all six sides either one will do just fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike wrote:
I am building a wine cellar. The door choices are mindboggling but I have
narrowed it down to two similar doors (3'0x8'0, two panels, top is glass
2/3, bottom is raised panel 1/3). The first door is solid mahogany. The
other is mahogany veneer over MDF. Both are rated for exterior. I am in
FL. The cellar will be cooled to 55 (humidity at 60-70%), the other side
will be at about 75, humidity at 40-50%. I'm told that the MDF will hold up
better and not warp. Any thoughts?

Exterior doors should have no problem, pick the one you like best, if it
were I, I'd go for the solid mahogany, just because...

--
Jack
News Flash: Government Motors (GM) fines their top competitor $16 Mil.