Leon

Default Cheap and Effective Splitter

A couple of months ago a post was started asking about cheaper alternatives
to the Beisemeyer splitter. I was fortunate enough to have seen the post
suggesting the Micro Jig Splitter. This is a splitter made by the same
people that make the adjustable Micro Jig push block. I visited the site
and was happy to see the splitter being offered for $14.99. I ordered the
splitter and have been using it for 6 or so weeks. The splitter works as
advertised as I have had NO burn marks on any Poplar that I have been
ripping. Basically you get 2 splitters and an installation jig. Once your
holes are drilled in your zero clearance insert, installation and removal of
the splitter takes about 2 seconds. While $14.99 seems expensive for what
you get in the package, but it is CHEAP when compared to he $100.00 + Beis
Splitter.

Take a look here

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...fcode=04IN04RL

Toller

Thanks, I need a splitter rather badly. $15 isn't cheap, except when you
consider the time spend making something that doesn't work as well.

Bay Area Dave

maybe you are paying just $2.00 for the materials, and $13
for the instructions (read: plans). NOW does it seem like a
good deal?

dave

Toller wrote:

Thanks, I need a splitter rather badly. $15 isn't cheap, except when you
consider the time spend making something that doesn't work as well.

Leon

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
news
maybe you are paying just $2.00 for the materials, and $13
for the instructions (read: plans). NOW does it seem like a
good deal?

Yes even with $2 for materials and $13 for instructions it is much cheaper
than the Beismeyer that essentially charges $3 for materials and $100+ for
plans.

WCD

Another woodworker turned me on to this . . .
(I can't take credit for it)

Find a steel drill bit which is exactly the same diameter as your saw
blade is thick. Locate it in line with your blade at the rear of the
throat plate and use it to drill a hole. Stick it upside down in the
aforementioned hole and . . .

VIOLA!!

Sheer perfection!!

patriarch

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message
news
maybe you are paying just $2.00 for the materials, and $13
for the instructions (read: plans). NOW does it seem like a
good deal?

Yes even with $2 for materials and $13 for instructions it is much
cheaper than the Beismeyer that essentially charges $3 for materials
and $100+ for plans.

Well, maybe $3 for materials, $12 for plans, $50 for dealer markup and
marketing channel costs, and the balance for product liability
reserves...:-{

The $28 I spent on the Delta Removeable Splitter, as a service part, with
antikickback pawls, still seems like a good deal.

Most importantly, though, I use it. Almost any of these designs is
adequate, unless they are shoved in a box on a dusty shelf.

Patriarch
Upscale

"WCD" wrote in message
Find a steel drill bit which is exactly the same diameter as your saw
blade is thick. Locate it in line with your blade at the rear of the
throat plate and use it to drill a hole. Stick it upside down in the
aforementioned hole and . . .

Ok, sounds reasonable, but what's to stop the drill bit from dropping down
through the hole either due to it's own weight or with the added tablesaw
vibration? With the addition of some type of support mechanism to stop that
happening, it sounds like a viable option.

Leon

"Upscale" wrote in message
news
"WCD" wrote in message
Find a steel drill bit which is exactly the same diameter as your saw
blade is thick. Locate it in line with your blade at the rear of the
throat plate and use it to drill a hole. Stick it upside down in the
aforementioned hole and . . .

Ok, sounds reasonable, but what's to stop the drill bit from dropping down
through the hole either due to it's own weight or with the added tablesaw
vibration? With the addition of some type of support mechanism to stop

that
happening, it sounds like a viable option.

Ummm don't drill the hole all the way through...

WCD

Upscale wrote:
"WCD" wrote in message

Find a steel drill bit which is exactly the same diameter as your saw
blade is thick. Locate it in line with your blade at the rear of the
throat plate and use it to drill a hole. Stick it upside down in the
aforementioned hole and . . .

Ok, sounds reasonable, but what's to stop the drill bit from dropping down
through the hole either due to it's own weight or with the added tablesaw
vibration? With the addition of some type of support mechanism to stop that
happening, it sounds like a viable option.

Hmmm . . .

Well, when I did it, the hole was tight enough for a snug fit and didn't
need anything else. At one point I hit the "splitter" wrong and broke
off the bit and it still didn't fall into the hole. A dab of glue would
hold it in though if needed, I think.

You could also drill the hole using a drill bit one size smaller so its
a really snug fit.

I actually own a Biesmeyer splitter but never got around to calibrating
it and now I just use the drill bit.

Bernie Hunt

Leon,

I have the same setup and think it's great and also a whole lot cheaper than
the alternative. I also love their Gripper push blocks.
http://www.microjig.com/GRR-Ripper.htm

More info on the splitter here; http://www.microjig.com/MJ%20Splitter.htm
Bernie

"Leon" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Rossmoor Don

Here's one that's only $7.95 and comes with pins for both regular kerf
and narrow kerf blades.

http://www.grip-tite.com/splitter.html

I just installed it last weekend and love it. Took all of 1/2 hour to
install.
Dave Balderstone

In article , Leon
wrote:

Ummm don't drill the hole all the way through...

Naw, too easy.

--
Was that last sig line lame or what?
Alan W

I also bought the splitter and was able to install in about 1.5 hours.
I do love the little bugger and as soon as I get rid of a few more
habits, perhaps I can too cut without burns.

Alan