Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Obama stops oil leak in Gulf. BP staff grateful.

Lobby Dosser wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...

On 2010-07-17 23:46:34 -0400, Mark & Juanita
said:

It's also a legal principle that fines and judgments are assessed
by
judges and juries and legislation and penalties are defined by the
legislative branch of government. In the case of the $20B, that
didn't
happen either.

Technically, the $20B is an escrow, held against clean-up costs.
Speculation is that those costs will run higher than the set-aside.

The fines and judgements will (we hope) come later.

Technically, the President of the US had absolutely no legal authority
impose an escrow, fine, or judgment.

And he didn't.

Uh, yeah, right.

Yeah, Right! I detest the man and can't wait until he's out of office,
but making up **** is counter productive. Just as it was when W was in
office.

Making up what? You think that any CEO would just walk into the White
House, drop $20B of their own free will? Money which they have fiduciary
responsibility to utilize for the benefit of the corporation?

This isn't just making stuff up or a small matter. This is an example of
a president far exceeding his constitutional authority by assessing,
gaining, receiving, whatever you want to call it -- a fine against a company
and essentially assuming sole authority over the disbursement of those funds
at his discretion. The so-called "independent" agent to oversee
disbursement of those funds is none other than his pay czar, Ken Feinberg,
someone appointed by the President but who was never confirmed by the
Senate. Yet he is given sole authority to disburse $20B in whatever manner
he sees fit, with no rules or guidance or even oversight. Don't you think
that if Bush had done something like this the libs in Congress (and even
members of his own party) would be screaming to the high heavens about lack
of accountability, no authority, etc? You don't think Feinberg might be
just a teeny bit beholden to Obama and maybe disbursing those funds in a
manner favorable to him and his party? We'll never know, because no
oversight or other mechanisms are built into this escrow account deal.

On the flip side, what did BP gain from this? You don't think they just
dropped $20B and walked away empty handed? At a minimum, they had to have
gotten some assurance of lack of prosecution or some sort of clemency.

People were screaming to high heaven when the Bush administration was just
monitoring phone calls to countries that harbor terrorists. But acting as
legislature, judge, jury, and rendering judgment in this case is OK?

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-17 23:46:34 -0400, Mark & Juanita
said:

[...]

Yep and that's EXACTLY what he did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-17 23:46:34 -0400, Mark & Juanita
said:

[...]

If that is the case, the Board of Directors and the stockholder of BP
should be screaming bloody murder and oust the guy. Company assets are not
a stash of walking around money for the CEO to dole out has he pleases.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2010-07-17 23:46:34 -0400, Mark & Juanita
said:

[...]

I suspect the BOD is relieved they got off that light. Though the meetings
must have been interesting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 23, 2:34*am, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in ...

news:ZsudnWMMudaysdjRnZ2dnUVZ_uCdnZ2d@supernew s.com...

On 2010-07-17 23:46:34 -0400, Mark & Juanita
said:

[...]

You mean "light" in that they're not charged with "conspiracy" or
"RICO". Yet.