Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A good (and long) article about rust

"woodstuff" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of this, but not in one place and not so well-written?

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

woodstuff

also from that link:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These
people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high
moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful
about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to
discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

If you have this unique body oil, consider wearing cotton gloves oiled with
something like Breakfree CLP to keep your body oils off of tools. Breakfree
CLP is a multipurpose teflon oil designed to clean, lubricate, and protect
metal. Another approach is to wash your hands and give them a light rub with
mineral oil before handling metal.

Really??? I have never heard of that one.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5 July, 09:47, "Tim W" wrote:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold.

Mate of mine (a smoker) does this. Another friend's lathe has
fingerprints etched into the chrome on the handwheels from him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim W" wrote in message

"woodstuff" wrote in message
[...]

I saw a man put his hand and lean on a brand new bandsaw top a few years
ago, and when I returned to the shop the next day, the owner showed me his
hand prints. Also, in my own shop, I move my stuff around alot (I started
putting casters on my machines 20-something years ago), and I sometime grab
the top to pull or push it. It is clear that I cause rust in those areas..
Maybe I am Mr. Rust!! LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2010 5:58 AM, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 5 July, 09:47, "Tim wrote:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold.

Mate of mine (a smoker) does this. Another friend's lathe has
fingerprints etched into the chrome on the handwheels from him.

Don't we exude some amount of salt when we sweat? Perhaps some of us more than
others? Seems to me that could be a factor in this equation...

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2010 3:47 AM, Tim W wrote:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These
people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high
moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful
about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to
discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

It's why I cringe whenever someone "sits in" with the band on a song and
asks to use my bass ... some people will rust steel instrument strings
between songs.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 7/5/2010 3:47 AM, Tim W wrote:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold.
These people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal
salts, high moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your
shop, be careful about letting them handle good steel or tools. You
might be the first to discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys
with a corrosive touch.

It's why I cringe whenever someone "sits in" with the band on a song
and asks to use my bass ... some people will rust steel instrument
strings between songs.

I was going to say something similar. Most guitar players are well aware
that there are people out there who can rust a brand new set of strings in
days, while others can get months or more out of a set. I have no idea what
the chemistry is, and don't really care. Some folks just have a wicked acid
touch.

--

-Mike-