Posted to rec.woodworking
woodstuff[_2_] woodstuff[_2_] is offline

Default A good (and long) article about rust

"Tim W" wrote in message

"woodstuff" wrote in message
I have seen a lot of this, but not in one place and not so well-written?

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html

woodstuff

also from that link:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These
people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high
moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful
about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to
discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

If you have this unique body oil, consider wearing cotton gloves oiled

with
something like Breakfree CLP to keep your body oils off of tools.

Breakfree
CLP is a multipurpose teflon oil designed to clean, lubricate, and protect
metal. Another approach is to wash your hands and give them a light rub

with
mineral oil before handling metal.

Really??? I have never heard of that one.

Tim w

I saw a man put his hand and lean on a brand new bandsaw top a few years
ago, and when I returned to the shop the next day, the owner showed me his
hand prints. Also, in my own shop, I move my stuff around alot (I started
putting casters on my machines 20-something years ago), and I sometime grab
the top to pull or push it. It is clear that I cause rust in those areas..
Maybe I am Mr. Rust!! LOL