Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A good (and long) article about rust

Swingman wrote:
On 7/5/2010 3:47 AM, Tim W wrote:

Beware of Mr. Rust
Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold.
These people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal
salts, high moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your
shop, be careful about letting them handle good steel or tools. You
might be the first to discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys
with a corrosive touch.

It's why I cringe whenever someone "sits in" with the band on a song
and asks to use my bass ... some people will rust steel instrument
strings between songs.

I was going to say something similar. Most guitar players are well aware
that there are people out there who can rust a brand new set of strings in
days, while others can get months or more out of a set. I have no idea what
the chemistry is, and don't really care. Some folks just have a wicked acid
touch.

--

-Mike-