Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default AZEC is pretty darn strong!

I wanted to see how strong AZEC is since I am considering using it to
make some bat racks for the fields where my daughter plays softball.
I'm looking to make something like this, which I've made in the past
using 3/4 plywood:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/everythingba...2109_100108102

I had some cutoffs of 5/4 x 4 AZEC from a storm door project I just
finished, so I did a little experiment.

I used two 3" deck screws to attach the butt end of a 4" long piece to
the face of another piece as shown below.

The |||| is the side of one piece, the ==== is the 4" face of the
other, the ss are the screws that old the 2 pieces together.

-------5"-------
s||sssss====
s||sssss====
||||=========

With the T mounted in my vice, I hit it with a 3 pound sledge hammer
to see if I could split the screws out. X marks the spot.

After multiple hits, I managed to bend the screws and the heads pulled
into the back of material about an 1/8". As the screws bent, the
corner of the piece I was hitting dug slightly into the face of the
back piece.

The AZEC never showed any signs of "splitting" nor did it appear that
the threads pulled out of the material at all.

I'm sure that the sledge hammer whacks applied more force than the
girls every will unless they jump up and down on the bat rack.

I'm think these racks ought to last just about forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I wanted to see how strong AZEC is since ...

The AZEC never showed any signs of "splitting" nor did it appear that
the threads pulled out of the material at all.

"Azek" w/ a "k" instead of a "c" but that's a minor nit...

It is strong enough and in short sections as you used it won't show up
but as construction material it is more limber than wood of same
dimensional thickness and so flexes more. It also tends to relax over a
span w/ time.

Those characteristics won't be of significance in the given application,
just an observation.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

--

"Azek" w/ a "k" instead of a "c"

Yeah, I knew that. Brain fart.

And I agree that the flex shouldn't be an issue, especially since I
will be screwing the edge of one piece to the face of another, in
shorter than 3' sections.

If I put a screw between each bat receptacle, and maybe even add some
AZEC ;-) adhesive, the rack should be plenty rigid.

Other opinions are certainly welcome.

Those darn fuses Gerald Newton Home Repair 3 January 26th 07 05:01 AM
Darn crack! stoutman Woodworking 13 April 26th 06 12:10 AM
Darn MSC AL Metalworking 3 March 20th 06 04:15 PM
Birmingham CT-1440G Metal Lathe Looks Pretty Darn Good John Horner Metalworking 2 June 18th 05 01:22 AM
Not really a gloat but I'm pretty darn happy Herman Munster Woodworking 0 July 18th 03 06:16 PM