Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Curvy sided Birdhouse

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

-Jim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jim

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...3&filter=curve

HTH
Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr writes:

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

You could cut them with a bandsaw out of rough wood.

It would be easier if you had a piece of solid wood (from glued up
pieces) cut it like a bandsaw box. I suspect this was done because the
wood was painted.
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

Judging from the horizontal striations on the units, my guess is that they
took thin plywood and used a saw blade to cut partial-depth cuts in it
(maybe 1/8" cut in 1/4" plywood). It is easier to bend the resulting panel;
they could also have moistened or steamed the panel before they bent it into
shape.

Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 03:42:41 -0700 (PDT), jtpr
wrote:

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

There are several ways you could do this.
I noticed the horizontal marks too and it may be plywood that is
kerfed. It might have to be kerfed on both sides since the bends go
both directions.

I think you could also use bending plywood. It's about 3/8" thick and
would bend both directions easily. It doesn't have a good finished
side but since it paints I think it would work.

Is it possible that all of the sides are made from the same bent
pieces cut to length and turned different directions? If so, you
could make one bending jig that would work for all four sides and
clamp them up yourself. This would require several thin rippings of
stock or you might be able to press a few layers of 1/4" ply.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Wchq0GkR9kkGgG...

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. *Any
suggestions?

There are several ways you could do this.
I noticed the horizontal marks too and it may be plywood that is
kerfed. *It might have to be kerfed on both sides since the bends go
both directions.

I think you could also use bending plywood. *It's about 3/8" thick and
would bend both directions easily. *It doesn't have a good finished *
side but since it paints I think it would work.

Is it possible that all of the sides are made from the same bent
pieces cut to length and turned different directions? *If so, you
could make one bending jig that would work for all four sides and
clamp them up yourself. *This would require several thin rippings of
stock or you might be able to press a few layers of 1/4" ply.

Mike O.

I second Mikes idea of using bending plywood. Available in 4' x 8'
sheets at cabinet makers supply outfits. Front and back made of 3/4"
stock and the bending plywood for the sides.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Looks to me like they're made up of separate strips like strip-planking
or a tambour.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Mike O.- Hide quoted text -

That's what it looks like to me. Strips of wood attached to canvas,
then glued to the front and back so they hold their shape.

A little wood putty and paint and you'd never see the seams.

Also see here for a different style made with bendable plywood:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bentwood-Birdhouse/
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

-Jim

I'm guessing those are done the same way I did the tops of my treasure chests.
It's looks like it inthe pictures anyway...

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/chest.htm

--

Richard Lamb

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. Any
suggestions?

When asked how he carved such magnificent works, Michelangelo is reported to
have said "I start with a solid block of marble and chip away everthing that
doesn't look like a rabbit" (or words to that effect).

Maybe his technique could be employed here?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

When asked how he carved such magnificent works, Michelangelo is
reported to have said "I start with a solid block of marble and chip
away everthing that doesn't look like a rabbit" (or words to that
effect).

Maybe his technique could be employed here?

I tried making birdhouses that way but it was really hard to get my
chisels through that little hole.

Yeah, but what's art without suffering?

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 2, 9:15 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

When asked how he carved such magnificent works, Michelangelo is
reported to have said "I start with a solid block of marble and
chip away everthing that doesn't look like a rabbit" (or words to
that effect).

Maybe his technique could be employed here?

I tried making birdhouses that way but it was really hard to get my
chisels through that little hole.

Yeah, but what's art without suffering?

Enjoyable.

I think Van Gogh sold maybe two paintings in his lifetime (to, I think, his
brother), suffered a great deal, but enjoyed his distress immensely.