Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Curvy sided Birdhouse

On Jun 1, 1:58*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
On 6/1/2010 10:21 AM, Mike O. wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 03:42:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I want to build a couple of these for my wife's garden:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...Wchq0GkR9kkGgG....

I can't quite figure out how I could get the curvy sides though. *Any
suggestions?

There are several ways you could do this.
I noticed the horizontal marks too and it may be plywood that is
kerfed. *It might have to be kerfed on both sides since the bends go
both directions.

I think you could also use bending plywood. *It's about 3/8" thick and
would bend both directions easily. *It doesn't have a good finished
side but since it paints I think it would work.

Is it possible that all of the sides are made from the same bent
pieces cut to length and turned different directions? *If so, you
could make one bending jig that would work for all four sides and
clamp them up yourself. *This would require several thin rippings of
stock or you might be able to press a few layers of 1/4" ply.

Looks to me like they're made up of separate strips like strip-planking
or a tambour.

Mike O.- Hide quoted text -

That's what it looks like to me. Strips of wood attached to canvas,
then glued to the front and back so they hold their shape.

A little wood putty and paint and you'd never see the seams.

Also see here for a different style made with bendable plywood:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bentwood-Birdhouse/