Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 'Tis the season

Watch out for those ticks, they are out and about and
spreading disease.

I've spent the last ten days with Rocky Mountain Spotted
Tick Fever.
The best way I can describe it is; the worst flu you ever had
X5.

I managed to eat the first meal I had in over a week
yesterday, today I feel almost back to normal with the
exception of being very weak.

The cure is simple, a short course of doxycycline
antibiotics and time.

Important thing is to get ticks off as soon as possible
and if flu like symtoms develope, seek out treatment
as soon as possible. RMSTF becomes more unforgiving
as treatment is delayed and is sometimes fatal.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:

Watch out for those ticks, they are out and about and
spreading disease.

I've spent the last ten days with Rocky Mountain Spotted
Tick Fever.
The best way I can describe it is; the worst flu you ever had
X5.

I managed to eat the first meal I had in over a week
yesterday, today I feel almost back to normal with the
exception of being very weak.

The cure is simple, a short course of doxycycline
antibiotics and time.

Important thing is to get ticks off as soon as possible
and if flu like symtoms develope, seek out treatment
as soon as possible. RMSTF becomes more unforgiving
as treatment is delayed and is sometimes fatal.

basilisk

... and don't pull the ticks out (the heads break off making RMSTF
probability higher). Use a hot, burned out match, vaseline, or other such
method to get the tick to back out. Then stomp the snot out of it.

Glad to hear you are feeling better. That's some nasty stuff, had a
friend in high school who was down with it for two weeks, really took a lot
out of him -- and he was still young and immortal.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 31, 8:01*am, "basilisk" wrote:
Watch out for those ticks, they are out and about and
spreading disease.

I've spent the last ten days with Rocky Mountain Spotted
Tick Fever.
The best way I can describe it is; the worst flu you ever had
X5.

I managed to eat the first meal I had in over a week
yesterday, today I feel almost back to normal with the
exception of being very weak.

The cure is simple, a short course of doxycycline
antibiotics and time.

Hope the cure works quickly. Our 32 year old son had the disease
when he was about 13 years old. It took a few weeks to get a
diagnosis because it kept making short term runs at him and then he
would be OK for a while. But each attack was, as you said, the worst
case of flu he had (and has) ever experienced. And each attack
knocked him down a little further. They tried the oral antibiotics
and it screwed up his stomach. So then they put him in the hospital
for a round of IV. That worked but he was susceptible to severe,
migraine-class headaches for several months afterward. Finally shook
it completely.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks.

I guess I was fortunate that the doctor made the diagnosis
right off.

The antibiotics they favor for RMSTF are the old nasty,
sulfur laden ones that are a fight to keep down even with a
good stomach..

I haven't had migraine class headaches but a constant low grade
headache that seems to be getting better every day.

I'm glad your son faired well with it, it can cause long term
damage if let go too long.

One good thing about it, Doc says that it grants an
immunity that last a few years, wouldn't want to do this
very often.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
basilisk wrote:

[...]

Thanks

I vaguely remember being young, immortal and tough, but not anymore,
now that I think about it, I don't miss any of the three.
They come with their own problems.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 08:01:21 -0500, "basilisk"
wrote:

Watch out for those ticks, they are out and about and
spreading disease.

I've spent the last ten days with Rocky Mountain Spotted
Tick Fever.
The best way I can describe it is; the worst flu you ever had
X5.

I managed to eat the first meal I had in over a week
yesterday, today I feel almost back to normal with the
exception of being very weak.

The cure is simple, a short course of doxycycline
antibiotics and time.

Important thing is to get ticks off as soon as possible
and if flu like symtoms develope, seek out treatment
as soon as possible. RMSTF becomes more unforgiving
as treatment is delayed and is sometimes fatal.

basilisk

I already got bitten three times. One was a tiny seed tick I removed
last Wednesday. The area inflamed 2-3X a mosquito bite and turned red
the following day, improving slowly with applications of neosporen.
The OFF! doesn't seem to keep them off very well--looking forward to
winter weather when I can do more woodworking without the bloody
suckers.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I thought the bugs would be far worse here in Alabama than they were in
Vermont. Not at all. Other than ants (A few Sagans of sugar ants come in
each fall) we have no issues with them at all. I'm rarely if ever bitten.
They do have a truck that comes around and sprays once a week.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sprays what?

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

When I lived in Phoenix, AZ for a tech-school year, I had to avoid the
PHX cockroaches. They were so big that if you stepped near one, they'd
reach out, grab you by your big toe, and toss you off the sidewalk
before they continued on. _Nasty_ bastids, they was.

I was born in Anchorage, AK and was nearly carried off by an Alaskan
mosquito before my first birthday.

Ayup, bugs and I have a history.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor
the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like a
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know its
schedule.

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote the following:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Friend wearing flip flops jumped from the top bunk onto an Alabama cockroach
on the floor. Lifted his foot and the cockroach wandered off. We didn't dare
leave smokes or beer on the floor while playing cards, as the cockroaches
would steal them. Nothing worse than drunk cockroaches waking you up for a
light in the middle of the night. They were getting so big, some of them
were stealing uniforms and trying to get served at the NCO Club.

Then, of course, the Palmetto Bugs were Bigger ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Any odor?

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a
cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Be afraid, be Very Afraid ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:39:44 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, but I don't remember it. We close the windows when we hear the truck.

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a
cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Be afraid, be Very Afraid ...

Some are really bad (Brown Recluse and Black Widows are all around, so I'm
told). I just treat them all the same. If they don't get squished they get
nuked. SWMBO *really* doesn't like spiders. Ants just **** her off. Spiders
freak her out.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:39:44 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

Always a good plan when trucks are spraying unknown substances!

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a
cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Be afraid, be Very Afraid ...

Some are really bad (Brown Recluse and Black Widows are all around, so I'm
told). I just treat them all the same. If they don't get squished they
get
nuked. SWMBO *really* doesn't like spiders. Ants just **** her off.
Spiders
freak her out.

Yabut, what's killing the cockroaches. Those babies can survive global
thermo-nuclear war. ..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 20:18:59 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 01:34:41 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

om...

wrote:

[...]

Dunno, maybe they prefer Democrats. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 23:06:38 -0500, "
wrote the following:

someone said:
Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know
its
schedule.

Any odor?

Yeah, but I don't remember it. We close the windows when we hear the
truck.

We used to play in the DDT fog the trucks sprayed when I was a kid on
LRAFB.

--snip--

Yabut, what's killing the cockroaches. Those babies can survive global
thermo-nuclear war. ..

Dunno, maybe they prefer Democrats. ;-)

Ohhhhhhh...Maybe the Democrats are goin' cannibalistic. One can only
hope.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor
the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
-- Charles Darwin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

Friend wearing flip flops jumped from the top bunk onto an Alabama
cockroach on the floor. Lifted his foot and the cockroach wandered
off. We didn't dare leave smokes or beer on the floor while playing
cards, as the cockroaches would steal them. Nothing worse than drunk
cockroaches waking you up for a light in the middle of the night.
They were getting so big, some of them were stealing uniforms and
trying to get served at the NCO Club.

Ah, yes. I had a similar problem in Austin when attending the University of
Texas. It was especially bad regarding goodies from home. But I devised a
plan: A ROACH-MOAT!

Oh, the device was simple enough, a #2 washtub with a pedestal in the
center, onto which was placed the delectables and the tub filled with water.
I went to bed that night, secure in the knowledge that my victuals from mom
would be safe.

I can only imagine the scene during the dark: thousands of roach-eyes, from
around the rim, longingly staring at the tantalizing tasty tarts just out of
reach! Then one roach, perhaps imbued with a sense of self-sacrifice, stands
up on his back four legs and screams "One for All!" in roach talk as he
throws himself into the deep. Others follow. Soon there is a ROACH BRIDGE to
the yummies I had thought were protected from pillaging pests.

I stumbled into the kitchen the next morning, yearning for a taste of swell,
sweetly remembered, and was greeted by a bug bacchanalia as thousands of
amber invaders bloated with brownies met me with roach-grins.

In a fit of unreasonable distress, I fled from the apartment to the nearest
store and bought a gallon of "Granny Gruesome's Roach Petrifier." I sprayed
everything. Including the cat.

The roaches retired to their lairs and retaliated by roach-breeding like,
well, like college students. Then came the sad part.

We had to apply to our arch-enemies, Texas A&M, for assistance. They gladly
used a small nuclear device on the afflicted apartment area and (no doubt
due to a small miscalculation) about six square miles of South Austin.

The area remains uninhabitable to normal folk to this day. It is rumored
that glow-in-the-dark, swimming, roaches roam the alley-ways.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/7/2010 9:34 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Lobby Dosser wrote:

[...]

You know, your approach is fundamentally flawed. Damnyankee roaches
might have been stopped by your moat, but Southern roaches fly.

[...]

Just doesn't sound Texan to me. A roach problem like yours is a perfect
opportunity to load up the .22 with shotshells and practice some
wing-shooting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like a
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know
its
schedule.

Any odor?

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a
cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Be afraid, be Very Afraid ...

That would be the squitter trucks spraying malathion.

Damn ticks are awful this year, but about the worst
thing right now is millipeds, they are everywhere in
unbelievable numbers, on the porches, walls, inside,
roof, cars, the ground outside is squirming with them.
Not much point in fight them they have billions of replacements
and do make a satisfying crunching sound when your walking.

basilisk

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lobby Dosser wrote:

[...]

While stationed at Lackland AFB I'd doze off in the evening to the sounds of
roaches piloting Box Cars out of Kelly AFB.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

someone said:

Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know
its
schedule.

Any odor?

Yeah, but I don't remember it. We close the windows when we hear the
truck.

We used to play in the DDT fog the trucks sprayed when I was a kid on
LRAFB.

That explains a lot! ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:16:02 -0400, Nova wrote
the following:

wrote the following:

someone said:

Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know
its
schedule.

Any odor?

Yeah, but I don't remember it. We close the windows when we hear the
truck.

We used to play in the DDT fog the trucks sprayed when I was a kid on
LRAFB.

That explains a lot! ;-)

I was waiting for that one.

-----
= Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Dunno. A truck drives wound once a week with something that looks like
smudge pot on the back. It makes a very discernable sound so you know
its
schedule.

Any odor?

And how about them Alabama Cockroaches?!

I've not seen one cockroach since I've been here. Not so much as a
cricket.
Spiders, yes.

Be afraid, be Very Afraid ...

That would be the squitter trucks spraying malathion.

Malathion is Really, Really bad.

Damn ticks are awful this year, but about the worst
thing right now is millipeds, they are everywhere in
unbelievable numbers, on the porches, walls, inside,
roof, cars, the ground outside is squirming with them.
Not much point in fight them they have billions of replacements
and do make a satisfying crunching sound when your walking.

Reminds me of the June bug infestations in NW Ohio. Not something you wanted
on a boardwalk ...