Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New season of NYW

The 2009 season of New Yankee Workshop is about to happen.

From the website:
--

The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26
episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past

--

My reading of this is that it is a "best of Norm" series of shows.
Nothing new.

Others have the same opinion?

MJM
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The 2009 season of New Yankee Workshop is about to happen.

From the website:
--

The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26
episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past
season with new introductions by host Norm Abram.

--

My reading of this is that it is a "best of Norm" series of shows.
Nothing new.

Others have the same opinion?

Reruns?? Reruns?? That is what is presently playing on cable. 4, 352
episodes of Nahm, over and over and over again!!

So what is a 26 episode compilation?? Distilled rerruns?? It sounds like a
bad soup de jour at a greasy spoon diner. I'm getting indigestion already.

I guess these means one of three things. Nahm is taking an extended
vacation. Or Nahm quit and they haven't found anybody to replace him. Or
they decided to see how much money they can make without actually producing
any new product.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

wrote in message
The 2009 season of New Yankee Workshop is about to happen.

From the website:
--

[...]

The latter, one would think. A gray hair Nahm introduces the rerun. A
younger Nahm without DT's performs unspeakable atrocities to large piles of
perfectly good wood, using normal sized Delta stationary tools and PC
handholdables.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MikeWhy" wrote in message
"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I guess these means one of three things. Nahm is taking an extended
vacation. Or Nahm quit and they haven't found anybody to replace him.
Or they decided to see how much money they can make without actually
producing any new product.

The latter, one would think. A gray hair Nahm introduces the rerun. A
younger Nahm without DT's performs unspeakable atrocities to large piles
of perfectly good wood, using normal sized Delta stationary tools and PC
handholdables.

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that he
was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself and his
wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books, woodworking shows,
etc. Good for him!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 2:49 pm, "
wrote:
The 2009 season of New Yankee Workshop is about to happen.

From the website:
--

The New Yankee Workshop returns to PBS with a compilation of 26
episodes. Each program will feature a popular project from a past
season with new introductions by host Norm Abram.

--

My reading of this is that it is a "best of Norm" series of shows.
Nothing new.

Others have the same opinion?

Well, since my PBS station can't ever manage to actually show more
than one episode at the same time on consecutive weeks, this just
means I won't be annoyed that I didn't see it. So I see it as an
improvement.

-Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

My reading of this is that it is a "best of Norm" series of shows.
Nothing new.

Others have the same opinion?

Well, since my PBS station can't ever manage to actually show more
than one episode at the same time on consecutive weeks, this just
means I won't be annoyed that I didn't see it. So I see it as an
improvement.

-Kevin

I agree and I don't have a problem with it. I would imagine it is difficult
to keep fresh creativity going.
I saw the rerun on his entrance door and as a result ordered the tape of the
show with a "measured drawing". They are discounting the VHS tapes if you
are interested.
I think I will check on the Shaker glass door bookshelf he built. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that he
was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself and
his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books, woodworking
shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 22, 3:06*pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
[snipped for brevity] *

Or they decided to see how much money they can make without actually producing
any new product.

BINgO!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Kind of like the preacher who only works 1 hour per week, eh? :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that he
was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself and
his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books, woodworking
shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

Posted to rec.woodworking

David G. Nagel wrote:

Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message ...

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

I'm thinking Leon was being funny. Like my comment after his.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
m...
Leon wrote:

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Kind of like the preacher who only works 1 hour per week, eh? :-)

Same kind of job too... catering to the followers... ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David G. Nagel" wrote
Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

And you "obviously have absolutely no concept of" the word 'facetious', or
recognize when it bites you in the butt ... look it up.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 12:21*am, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in message

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that he
was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself and
his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books, woodworking
shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough *free time. *;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*

Just the time to babysit the frickin' sponsors would drive a guy like
Norm nuts.
They want you to make appearances to shill their tools/glues/stains...
that is *IF* you want to keep their 'contributions' coming in.
No contributions, no show.
And those 'generous' sponsors all think they know a little about show-
biz and production values. And they all have a girlfriend that thinks
she can sing.
It's a frickin' jungle out there. The quicksand all around poor Norm.
He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made
by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody,
anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing
you know, he starts to talk funny.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 23, 12:21 am, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:
Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message

[...]

I'm sure Norm doesn't mind putting in appearances for tool sponsors, or WW
shows if the price is right. It's all gravy or icing on the cake for him.
He gets his expenses paid for and is whined and dined and probably takes his
wife with him most of the time. What a life!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 06:05:51 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*

He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made
by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody,
anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing
you know, he starts to talk funny.

Keeping that secret is nothing compared to keeping close to the vest
the location of the shop...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*

He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made
by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody,
anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing
you know, he starts to talk funny.

Keeping that secret is nothing compared to keeping close to the vest
the location of the shop...

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.nethttp://www.normstools.com

care to correspond with you anyway.

Ooooo... we don't know where it is??? Innnnnterestingggg
Posted to rec.woodworking

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message ...

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

So Dave, I hope the hood didn't hurt too much when I reeled you in. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*

He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made
by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody,
anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing
you know, he starts to talk funny.

Keeping that secret is nothing compared to keeping close to the vest
the location of the shop...

Of all the people! I found it by using Google Earth and using New Yankee
Workshop as a destination. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

*still chuckling at Leon's facetiousness*

He might like a stain from MinWax WAY better than the one that is made
by the show's sponsor, but he can't say anything, to anybody,
anywhere, any time. And that deep dark secret eats him up, next thing
you know, he starts to talk funny.

Keeping that secret is nothing compared to keeping close to the vest
the location of the shop...

Of all the people! I found it by using Google Earth and using New Yankee
Workshop as a destination. ;~)

Morash Associates, Lexington, MA? Need to get boots on the ground for an up
close recon. Morash Associates is a co-producer of the show.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 23, 11:48*am, "Leon" wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote in . com...

Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John

U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough *free time. *;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

So Dave, *I hope the hood didn't hurt too much when I reeled you in. *;~)

What was that? A Zebco 3? 20 # test? Medium action graphite?
I'm always willing to learn.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
I'm sure Norm doesn't mind putting in appearances for tool sponsors, or WW
shows if the price is right. It's all gravy or icing on the cake for him.
He gets his expenses paid for and is whined and dined and probably takes
his wife with him most of the time. What a life!!

It would be fun for a while, but after a time it becomes just another job.
Traveling is very enjoyable on your own terms, much less so on someone
else's schedule. Dinner with friends is fun, dinner with some egotistical
loud mouthed ******* that controls the checkbook is much less so. I've done
plenty of trade shows and they can be a lot of work, especially when
everyone else knows a "better" tool, method, whatever and can get it
cheaper. One airport with delays is as good as the next airport with
delays.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LRod" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:50:54 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

So Leon, I hope the hood[k] didn't hurt too much when I reeled you
in. ;~)

LOL, I was wondering when some one would find that type-o. I never felt a
thing.

Of course I know where it is. I'm just trying to keep the counsel. But
thanks for the "of all people" nod.

You are welcome!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

"Robatoy"

What was that? A Zebco 3? 20 # test? Medium action graphite?
I'm always willing to learn.

Carrot Stick

Now you're talking!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
message ...

When I met Norm a few years ago at Sturbridge Village he mentioned that
he was looking forward to winding down and having more time for himself
and his wife... He's had a long run between the two shows, books,
woodworking shows, etc. Good for him!

John
U'd think a 30 minute work week 14 weeks out of the year would give him
enough free time. ;~)

Leon;

You obviously have absolutely no concept of what goes into making one of
these 30 minute wonders. It takes about three 8 to 10 hour days to plan
what is going to be taped and another two 8 to 10 hour days to tape it.

Dave N

So Dave, I hope the hood didn't hurt too much when I reeled you in. ;~)

Leon;

I am sorry if I offended you. Unfortunatly I didn't see your intent.
BTW: I forgot about the time required to make the prototype of whatever.
This time comes out of the three prep days.
Still I have enjoyed watching Norm and the gang for over 25 years. I
have also learned a lot from him.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message
I'm sure Norm doesn't mind putting in appearances for tool sponsors, or
WW shows if the price is right. It's all gravy or icing on the cake for
him. He gets his expenses paid for and is whined and dined and probably
takes his wife with him most of the time. What a life!!

It would be fun for a while, but after a time it becomes just another job.
Traveling is very enjoyable on your own terms, much less so on someone
else's schedule. Dinner with friends is fun, dinner with some egotistical
loud mouthed ******* that controls the checkbook is much less so. I've
done plenty of trade shows and they can be a lot of work, especially when
everyone else knows a "better" tool, method, whatever and can get it
cheaper. One airport with delays is as good as the next airport with
delays.

Travel anymore pretty much sucks. First there is dealing with getting
through security without losing one's virginity. Then you get to wait
through the flight delays. Finally, there is the joy of sharing your
personal space with 150 of your closest friends. Oh, I also forgot the
expansive legroom. If you are a 4 foot nothing short person. That feeling
is intensified if you are one of the lucky ones who gets a middle seat.
Between two people who are much larger than their own seats. At least one
of whom either ran through the airport to get to the plane, didn't have
time to bathe that morning, or just bought an onion-loaded Bologna sandwich
at one of the airport quick-stops.

Yep, traveling is a real blast. Especially for work, where the canned
statement thanking you for selecting the lowest cost provider (like you
have a choice).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Travel anymore pretty much sucks. First there is dealing with getting
through security without losing one's virginity.

What's security? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Travel anymore pretty much sucks. First there is dealing with getting
through security without losing one's virginity.

What's security? G

Alright, in your situation, flying is probably still a blast. However,
you probably have an issue going coast to coast. Hmm, for close-in trips
it could be pretty nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
)

Leon;

I am sorry if I offended you. Unfortunatly I didn't see your intent.
BTW: I forgot about the time required to make the prototype of whatever.
This time comes out of the three prep days.
Still I have enjoyed watching Norm and the gang for over 25 years. I have
also learned a lot from him.

Dave

No offense taken Dave, I have a some what dry sense of humor and a lot of
my comments can be taken either way. IMHO Norm is an institution, he is
probably more responsible than any one for bringing woodworking into more
homes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

New Yankee Workshop "Discounting VHS Tapes?"

I'll betcha. Don't they have them on DVD by now?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hoosierpopi wrote:
New Yankee Workshop "Discounting VHS Tapes?"

I'll betcha. Don't they have them on DVD by now?

That's why they are discounting the VHS tapes. While they last.

And you get a "measured drawing"! :-)

Actually, I ordered the door episode and the Shaker Bookshelf episodes to
get the drawings. It's not a bad deal at $12.

Posted to rec.woodworking

David G. Nagel wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
New Yankee Workshop "Discounting VHS Tapes?"

I'll betcha. Don't they have them on DVD by now?

That's why they are discounting the VHS tapes. While they last.

The VHS tapes or the players? :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
New Yankee Workshop "Discounting VHS Tapes?"

I'll betcha. Don't they have them on DVD by now?

That's why they are discounting the VHS tapes. While they last.

The VHS tapes or the players? :-)

Tapes, you provide the player....
Posted to rec.woodworking

David G. Nagel wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Hoosierpopi wrote:
New Yankee Workshop "Discounting VHS Tapes?"

I'll betcha. Don't they have them on DVD by now?
That's why they are discounting the VHS tapes. While they last.

The VHS tapes or the players? :-)

Tapes, you provide the player....

My comment was in regards to the "while they last". I know my VHS players
have pretty much all gone to that great entertainment center in the sky.