Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default 'Tis the season

"RonB" wrote in message
On May 31, 8:01 am, "basilisk" wrote:
Watch out for those ticks, they are out and about and
spreading disease.

I've spent the last ten days with Rocky Mountain Spotted
Tick Fever.
The best way I can describe it is; the worst flu you ever had
X5.

I managed to eat the first meal I had in over a week
yesterday, today I feel almost back to normal with the
exception of being very weak.

The cure is simple, a short course of doxycycline
antibiotics and time.

Hope the cure works quickly. Our 32 year old son had the disease
when he was about 13 years old. It took a few weeks to get a
diagnosis because it kept making short term runs at him and then he
would be OK for a while. But each attack was, as you said, the worst
case of flu he had (and has) ever experienced. And each attack
knocked him down a little further. They tried the oral antibiotics
and it screwed up his stomach. So then they put him in the hospital
for a round of IV. That worked but he was susceptible to severe,
migraine-class headaches for several months afterward. Finally shook
it completely.

RonB

Thanks.

I guess I was fortunate that the doctor made the diagnosis
right off.

The antibiotics they favor for RMSTF are the old nasty,
sulfur laden ones that are a fight to keep down even with a
good stomach..

I haven't had migraine class headaches but a constant low grade
headache that seems to be getting better every day.

I'm glad your son faired well with it, it can cause long term
damage if let go too long.

One good thing about it, Doc says that it grants an
immunity that last a few years, wouldn't want to do this
very often.

basilisk