Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The hardest part of getting work done is

The hardest part of getting work done has to be Starting! --while I was
tidying-up I figured maybe there might be one person who needed to hear
that---mostly I was just listening to myself think.

I have also done pretty well by *making lists* of steps and being content to
just "make progress" and "chip-away" towards a step (.e.g. if I can't move
"everything" from one side of the garage to the other, maybe I can start by
moving just a few items). It's too easy to be "over-whelmed" by a task and
not make any progress--I have found the list strategy I described powerful.
Maybe because making a list, or refining one, require that one start
thinking about it. As it were, I ended up noticing maple trees growing out
of my eave troughs, so the rest of the evening was "wasted"-- but things
happen. Some progress is better than none!

I think it's interesting how well that software engineering principles lend
themselves to WW! I think that SketchUp does do, but that's a subject for
another thread (I'm currently chipping away at "The Missing Manual").

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

Keeping things in perspective! Never let the whole of a task
overwhelm you! Take one step at a time! This applies to almost
everything we do.

In school, it's one class at a time, with one chapter at a time.
After 4 years of this prodding along this way, you're done, with a
degree.

Managing money is a learned process, one step at a time. I'm sure
we've all heard of someone who come into money and it's gone in no
time, because they don't know how to manage it. Sucessful businesses
start by having a business plan, or a list of to-dos, as you noted....
and goals are included is such lists.

Building a cabinet, armoire, table, etc. is a process of many steps.
Do one at a time and before you know it, it's done. Concentrate on
the single little item, at hand, and not the end product... that will
come, develope, as the smaller tasks are taken care of in turn.

So many folks don't manage, or don't know how to manage their time and
efforts in a reasonably efficient way. And I have young relatives who
want "things" now, don't want to work for them or go through the
process to create them. I tell them to learn how to manage their time
and efforts. Even if they get sidetracked with some other issue,
don't loose peprspective as to where they've left off with the
previous task.

Any progress is great and lends itself to further progress. The
hardest part is starting? Start by making a list... include your
goals, what you hope to achieve, one little step at a time.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 30 May 2010 02:47:03 -0400, "Bill"
wrote the following:

[...]

I got my copy last week (or so?) but haven't had a chance to pop the
cover and read it yet. How do you like it so far?

--
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of
folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief,
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Sonny" wrote in message
[...]

Nice post Sonny. Of course, at the end you were preaching to the already
converted.
It's hard for me to think of anyone who wouldn't be well-served by
possessing this "wisdom".
Don't give up on those you can teach!

Almost a year ago I created a 25 step (or so) plan for implementing a
workshop. I shared some of my
ideas here, and was (well) advised about just how many things I had
overlooked! I decided to
address "electrical outlets and lighting first". That brings me to where I
am now--after 3
evening sessions, my garage now has 3 or 4 feets of free space along two
adjacent walls.
Tomorrow I'll remove the 1970's vintage (old kitchen) cabinetry that is in
the way.
Unfortunately, the attic is an "ugly" place to work, but I'll be "pulling
some wire".

Tonight I measured the distances between the studs by "tapping" the wall,
and they are mostly 16" o.c.,
might be expected I suppose and I drew a line 50" high along the wall. I'm
was just trying to
visualize.. I anticipate 3 or 4 outlets at the 50" line with another below
each of them at the 18 inch line,
at least along the long (19.5') wall--a comination of 120v (at 50"), 240v
(at 18") with some lines
dedicated, some shared, and some unused. All 20 amp circuits for (wire
purchasing) simplicity.

Question: if I rip down the wall, and replace it, I may as well add
insulation, right? Is it just a matter of
laying strips of the stuff in place or are there any important concerns I
should be aware of? I apologize
for not having done my homework on this yet. One step at a time...

Lew always says, "Have fun", so I try! ; )

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I think it's interesting how well that software engineering principles
lend
themselves to WW! I think that SketchUp does do, but that's a subject for
another thread (I'm currently chipping away at "The Missing Manual").

I got my copy last week (or so?) but haven't had a chance to pop the
cover and read it yet. How do you like it so far?

Larry,
I am at page 200 out of 516. I started learning SU by watching at least an
hour's worth of Google tutorials on it, and then investing a few dozen hours
in practice (modeling workbenches). And then I got the book,
I'm sure I could have saved a lot of time if I had read the book sooner (but
I wanted to model workbenches, not read a book!).
I think that the video tutorials are a better place to begin than the book,
but
you probably have already seen some of those or you probably would not have
ordered the book...

As a book I rate it 3.5/5. I don't think it's a "great read" but it DOES
have lots
of info you will be glad to learn. If it contained some decent exercises I
might
increase my rating to 4. You probably can easily come up with your own
exercises.
Some things about it remind me of the "... For Dummies" series of books,
which seem eager to repeat things over and over. It's not a bad book and it
is probably
pretty reasonable for the demographic it is trying to serve (which probably
includes
high school students). Good luck with SU! Of course, you probably already
know that
Swingman and Leon are real SU pros! Tonight I may practice with "arrays"
in SU (which
I was introduced to via the book only recently). I probably don't need to
tell you that
practice is "everything". GL

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

I think it's interesting how well that software engineering principles
lend
themselves to WW! I think that SketchUp does do, but that's a subject for
another thread (I'm currently chipping away at "The Missing Manual").

I got my copy last week (or so?) but haven't had a chance to pop the
cover and read it yet. How do you like it so far?

Larry,

Since we were talking about SU, I put a "homework exercise" I did
for arrays on my website. All of the "studs" (just lines here) can be added
in a single-stroke by specifying
the distance between centers and the quantity. I pasted in the position of
the new
outlets I hope to install this week. The idea is that the outlets on the top
(50" high) will be 120v and the ones on the bottom will be 240v (or unused).
And SU let me think about the design even though I haven't taken the
wallboard down yet.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Hopefully, by this time next week I'll have made lots of progress. Replacing
the drywall concerns
me (because I never put up a whole sheet of it before...).

Bill

--
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of
folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief,
and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness.
-- Ann Radcliffe

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:48:52 -0400, "Bill"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I think it's interesting how well that software engineering principles
lend
themselves to WW! I think that SketchUp does do, but that's a subject for
another thread (I'm currently chipping away at "The Missing Manual").

I got my copy last week (or so?) but haven't had a chance to pop the
cover and read it yet. How do you like it so far?

Larry,
I am at page 200 out of 516. I started learning SU by watching at least an
hour's worth of Google tutorials on it, and then investing a few dozen hours
in practice (modeling workbenches). And then I got the book,
I'm sure I could have saved a lot of time if I had read the book sooner (but
I wanted to model workbenches, not read a book!).

Instant gratification takes too long, eh?

I think that the video tutorials are a better place to begin than the book,
but
you probably have already seen some of those or you probably would not have
ordered the book...

Verily!

As a book I rate it 3.5/5. I don't think it's a "great read" but it DOES
have lots
of info you will be glad to learn.

I read the TOC online and decided that it was -well- worth ordering.
The fact that I paid only $1.25 for it helps ease the fact that you
didn't give it a 5/5 rating, Bill. I much prefer having a book in
lap when troubleshooting or learning, as opposed to a handful of pages
open in browser and Acrobat Reader windows online, though having an
instant search can help speed things along, too. I often utilize both
methods when in distress, heading toward the knee of that blasted
learning curve we all know and love/hate.

If it contained some decent exercises I
might
increase my rating to 4. You probably can easily come up with your own
exercises.
Some things about it remind me of the "... For Dummies" series of books,
which seem eager to repeat things over and over. It's not a bad book and it
is probably
pretty reasonable for the demographic it is trying to serve (which probably
includes
high school students). Good luck with SU!

Thanks, and Dittoes!

Of course, you probably already
know that Swingman and Leon are real SU pros!

Yuppers. And I've already learned things from both parties. (Thanks,
gents.)

Tonight I may practice with "arrays" in SU (which
I was introduced to via the book only recently). I probably don't need to
tell you that practice is "everything". GL

Yes, and practice maintains your skills with the software.

--
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of
folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief,
and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness.
-- Ann Radcliffe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 31 May 2010 05:13:29 -0400, "Bill"
wrote the following:

[...]

Look at the extras people have developed, Bill. I started to look into
the engineering toolbox and house builder add-ons before being rudely
pulled away to work by reality. Swingy'll tell ya.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

Hopefully, by this time next week I'll have made lots of progress. Replacing
the drywall concerns
me (because I never put up a whole sheet of it before...).

Other than the weight, full sheets are easier. But I'd use OSB in my
shop if I were to finish a stud wall today.

P.S: I especially like the boilerplate flooring and pegboard
workbench. gd&r

--
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of
folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief,
and ready to plunge into error, to escape from the languor of idleness.
-- Ann Radcliffe
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/31/2010 9:11 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Look at the extras people have developed, Bill. I started to look into
the engineering toolbox and house builder add-ons before being rudely
pulled away to work by reality. Swingy'll tell ya.

By all means ... your productivity is upped considerably by standing on
the shoulders of those who came before you with regard to "plug-ins".

One of my favorite stud wall tools, along with the "joist", "stair" and
"window" plug-ins:

http://sketchuppluginreviews.com/201...plugin-review/

Way too many to list, but here's a PrintScrn dump of my SketchUp Plug In
DIR:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/PlugInDir.jpg

Many are excellent tools for modeling construction projects. You will
have to do your own Google to find them individually but they are all
free, IIRC.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Another repository of good ruby script plug-ins for SketchUp:

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrar...n_arc_page.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Another repository of good ruby script plug-ins for SketchUp:

http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibrar...n_arc_page.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Thank you for the link to all of the resources! I "favorited" it for future
reference!

Bill