Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The hardest part of getting work done is

On Mon, 31 May 2010 02:48:52 -0400, "Bill"
wrote the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I think it's interesting how well that software engineering principles
lend
themselves to WW! I think that SketchUp does do, but that's a subject for
another thread (I'm currently chipping away at "The Missing Manual").

I got my copy last week (or so?) but haven't had a chance to pop the
cover and read it yet. How do you like it so far?

Larry,
I am at page 200 out of 516. I started learning SU by watching at least an
hour's worth of Google tutorials on it, and then investing a few dozen hours
in practice (modeling workbenches). And then I got the book,
I'm sure I could have saved a lot of time if I had read the book sooner (but
I wanted to model workbenches, not read a book!).

Instant gratification takes too long, eh?

I think that the video tutorials are a better place to begin than the book,
but
you probably have already seen some of those or you probably would not have
ordered the book...

Verily!

As a book I rate it 3.5/5. I don't think it's a "great read" but it DOES
have lots
of info you will be glad to learn.

I read the TOC online and decided that it was -well- worth ordering.
The fact that I paid only $1.25 for it helps ease the fact that you
didn't give it a 5/5 rating, Bill. I much prefer having a book in
lap when troubleshooting or learning, as opposed to a handful of pages
open in browser and Acrobat Reader windows online, though having an
instant search can help speed things along, too. I often utilize both
methods when in distress, heading toward the knee of that blasted
learning curve we all know and love/hate.

If it contained some decent exercises I
might
increase my rating to 4. You probably can easily come up with your own
exercises.
Some things about it remind me of the "... For Dummies" series of books,
which seem eager to repeat things over and over. It's not a bad book and it
is probably
pretty reasonable for the demographic it is trying to serve (which probably
includes
high school students). Good luck with SU!

Thanks, and Dittoes!

Of course, you probably already
know that Swingman and Leon are real SU pros!

Yuppers. And I've already learned things from both parties. (Thanks,
gents.)

Tonight I may practice with "arrays" in SU (which
I was introduced to via the book only recently). I probably don't need to
tell you that practice is "everything". GL

Yes, and practice maintains your skills with the software.

--
A well-informed mind is the best security against the contagion of
folly and of vice. The vacant mind is ever on the watch for relief,