Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default The hardest part of getting work done is

"Sonny" wrote in message
Keeping things in perspective! Never let the whole of a task
overwhelm you! Take one step at a time! This applies to almost
everything we do.

In school, it's one class at a time, with one chapter at a time.
After 4 years of this prodding along this way, you're done, with a
degree.

Managing money is a learned process, one step at a time. I'm sure
we've all heard of someone who come into money and it's gone in no
time, because they don't know how to manage it. Sucessful businesses
start by having a business plan, or a list of to-dos, as you noted....
and goals are included is such lists.

Building a cabinet, armoire, table, etc. is a process of many steps.
Do one at a time and before you know it, it's done. Concentrate on
the single little item, at hand, and not the end product... that will
come, develope, as the smaller tasks are taken care of in turn.

So many folks don't manage, or don't know how to manage their time and
efforts in a reasonably efficient way. And I have young relatives who
want "things" now, don't want to work for them or go through the
process to create them. I tell them to learn how to manage their time
and efforts. Even if they get sidetracked with some other issue,
don't loose peprspective as to where they've left off with the
previous task.

Any progress is great and lends itself to further progress. The
hardest part is starting? Start by making a list... include your
goals, what you hope to achieve, one little step at a time.

Sonny

Nice post Sonny. Of course, at the end you were preaching to the already
converted.
It's hard for me to think of anyone who wouldn't be well-served by
possessing this "wisdom".
Don't give up on those you can teach!

Almost a year ago I created a 25 step (or so) plan for implementing a
workshop. I shared some of my
ideas here, and was (well) advised about just how many things I had
overlooked! I decided to
address "electrical outlets and lighting first". That brings me to where I
am now--after 3
evening sessions, my garage now has 3 or 4 feets of free space along two
adjacent walls.
Tomorrow I'll remove the 1970's vintage (old kitchen) cabinetry that is in
the way.
Unfortunately, the attic is an "ugly" place to work, but I'll be "pulling
some wire".

Tonight I measured the distances between the studs by "tapping" the wall,
and they are mostly 16" o.c.,
might be expected I suppose and I drew a line 50" high along the wall. I'm
was just trying to
visualize.. I anticipate 3 or 4 outlets at the 50" line with another below
each of them at the 18 inch line,
at least along the long (19.5') wall--a comination of 120v (at 50"), 240v
(at 18") with some lines
dedicated, some shared, and some unused. All 20 amp circuits for (wire
purchasing) simplicity.

Question: if I rip down the wall, and replace it, I may as well add
insulation, right? Is it just a matter of
laying strips of the stuff in place or are there any important concerns I
should be aware of? I apologize
for not having done my homework on this yet. One step at a time...

Lew always says, "Have fun", so I try! ; )

Bill