Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I am closing my eyes

Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

..... *He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. **yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is
the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there
is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block
of the universe."

- Frank Zappa

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 14:37:38 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

Gee so does mine, guess lack of common sense is universal and
international? So far he has all his parts though.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...

I'd comment to them, except they barely speak english.
Hell I'd even loan them my Dewalt corded reciprocating saw, seems like a
safer choice. They have a Cordless B&D Firestorm POS recip, they seem
to have stopped using when the table saw came out.

My windows are open, I am sitting inside cringing every time I hear the
table saw fire up.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

How about taking some videos? They may be worth some $$ to
the saw manufacturer should said idiot sue for defective design or
some BS like that. At the least they would be quite interesting to
watch via youtube.
Art

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
FrozenNorth wrote:
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I wonder if the sawstop folks suggested that approach. *evil* grin

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...

John

That was my initial thought.
Why don't the manufacturers put a bark detector on those things?
Irresponsible *******s.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 28, 1:37*pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. *He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. **yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

If he ultimately cuts a body part off, he will probably hire a lawyer
who will sue the saw manufacturer.

Inadequate warnings in the manual regarding chopping up tree limbs,
and limb guard was defective

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you take videos, then you get hauled in and sued for not showing the
diligence due, by giving them sufficient verbal warnings of safety hazards
you have observed. Your video would prove you were aware a hazard existed
and did nothing.

When you did go over to warn them and they told you to **** off, you would
be guilty of not stopping them with a baseball bat, demonstrating the
diligence due to stop them with "whatever means necessary".

If no accident occurs you may be guilty of assault with a baseball bat
(American style).

I think you were out of town when it happened...weren't you?

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds.....

"RonB" wrote in message
If he ultimately cuts a body part off, he will probably hire a lawyer
who will sue the saw manufacturer.

Inadequate warnings in the manual regarding chopping up tree limbs,
and limb guard was defective

RonB

On May 28, 1:37 pm, FrozenNorth
wrote:
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all
the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the
blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Growing up in the 50's & 60's with a coal furnice .It was amazing I
never lost fingers using the saw my mom & I used for cutting kindling
wood., It was an arbor on two pillow block mounted under an old peice of
table top. I remember one day driving my dad's Model A tractor out of
the shed and into the garage and running over the saw. After that I had
to use one of those one man cross cut saws that was taller than me. I
was age seven. Now that I am in my 60's I've clipped both thumbs on my
table saw ,And it has a gard on it.
Oh to be seven again.
Jerry

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974RuppCentair

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 15:52:35 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...

John

Not if I'm on the jury...

Nor would the McDonald's coffee idiot have been awarded. I consider
that one close to a Darwin award - that level of stupid is a terminal
condition...

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. *yikes*

Sounds like an old Red Green skit.

He threw peices of wood at that saw and they bounced off the spinning saw
blade. It made me cringe. It made a metallic ringing sound each time the
wood bounced too. It gave me the heebie jeebies.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't forget that 12 jurors, unanomously awarded the woman the 2-3 million
dollar damages and sufferance award. People ridicule the amazing outcome but
know very little of the situation.

McDonald's old cups were made from a rigid styrofoamlike materia. The lid
made the barrel shaped cup, very firm and solid until you pulled hard to tug
the tight lid off. At this point the cup would collapse and your firm grip
would extrude the contents into the air, like a squeezed Heinz Ketchup
packette. I had one explode on me inside their restaurant and stain the
ceiling, years ago. I would think this construction may have been partially
responsible for the award.

BTW: I understand a few years later a follow up court rolled back the award
to a few hundred thousand$$.

"Upscale" wrote in message
Oh to live in the USA. I've got a burn on my arm that I got by
reaching up and tipping a cup of coffee off a table. I was only a year
old at the time. But, from the all the ridiculous law suits I hear
about in the USA, I probably could have sued and have lived on easy
street the rest of my life.

On Fri, 28 May 2010 18:50:03 -0400, wrote:

Nor would the McDonald's coffee idiot have been awarded. I consider
that one close to a Darwin award - that level of stupid is a terminal
condition...

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
FrozenNorth wrote:
...snipped...
I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--
Froz...

...sniped...

It's really not so bad as long as they're all still attached...

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. *He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. **yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.

He must have heard such use was worth about a million and a half...

John

Not if I'm on the jury...

Nor would the McDonald's coffee idiot have been awarded. *I consider
that one close to a Darwin award - that level of stupid is a terminal
condition...

John

Have you ever read the facts regarding the Liebeck v McDonald's case?

I'm not saying she wasn't an idiot - in fact she was found partially
at fault - but if you Google the incident, you''ll find that Micky D's
had settled over 700 coffee-burn related incidents prior to the
Liebeck case and admitted being aware that their coffee was kept at a
temperature that could cause (and had caused) 3rd degree burns in a
matter of seconds.

You'll also find that Liebeck tried to settle the case for $20K to
cover her medical bills but Micky D's refused - offering her $800 -
even though they had previously settled coffee burn cases for close to
$500K. That's the only reason she brought the suit: They had
previously settled cases for huge sums yet refused coverage for her
$20K in medical bills.

The widely quoted punitive damage award of $2.7MM (2-day's coffee
revenue ) was eventually reduced to less than $500K, even though the
judge (not the jury) called McDonald’s conduct reckless, callous, and
willful.

As I stated earlier, you have to be a idiot to open a hot cup of
coffee while holding the cup between your legs, but you gotta love
Mickey's reason for not turning down the temperatu 700 incidents in
10 years is equivalent to about 1 in 24 million cups, which is
"basically trivially different from zero." In other words, according
to McDonalds, those 700 people basically didn't exist.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--

This is what he needs.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds29.gif

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 29 May 2010 00:17:02 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked
all the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into
the blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--

This is what he needs.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds29.gif

Yeah! Surely nobody ever got hurt on one of those.

Yeah, but surprisingly - less than you might think. People had a different
sense of awareness then.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked
all the way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into
the blade from above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--

This is what he needs.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds29.gif

Yeah! Surely nobody ever got hurt on one of those.

Yeah, but surprisingly - less than you might think. People had a different
sense of awareness then.

If you really want to get an idea of how safety perceptions change watch
the "1890's House" on PBS. It is a few years old now, but the big thing
I got out of it was the change in "What is safe". Many of the common
appliances of the 1890, did not pass the housing inspectors. One in
particular was a kitchen wood stove with a built in boiler for hot water
that the inspector "had kittens" over.

A simple act of making soap or apple butter would have given the child
Protective service people heart attacks. The practice was to get a
large pot (55 gallons?), put it in the yard and start cooking the
solution over an open wood fire under the pot. I had one ancestor who
burned to death when her long skirt got a little close to the fire. On
the other hand I have fond memories of going to my grandfather's
sister's house and helping make apple butter in the back yard. Yes we
participated, at that time kids were expected to pay their way with
their labors.

Another example is the car baby beds. How many people put their children
in them and how many deaths were attributed to them; compared to what
peoples today's perception of how dangerous they were.

If the safety perceptions of today were in place for the last 5
centuries we would still be living in Europe, with out any of the what
we consider "necessities"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 May 2010 22:33:19 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

DIVORCE AGREEMENT

THIS IS SO INCREDIBLY WELL PUT AND I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE IT'S BY A YOUNG
PERSON, A STUDENT!!! WHATEVER HE RUNS FOR, I'LL VOTE FOR HIM.

Oh no! Larry J. has found a soulmate :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Neighbour next door has a small portable table saw, blade cranked all the
way up. He is plunging pieces of branches from a tree into the blade from
above. *yikes*

I don't want to get hit with flying body parts.
--

This is what he needs.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds29.gif

Yeah! Surely nobody ever got hurt on one of those.

Say, can I sell you a square-cutter-headed jointer?

I want!!! I'll put it next to the square-hole drill.