Suz

Default Men [rolls eyes]

I getting great entertainment from my last post "Solder and conductivity"

In short, broken power cable to laptop. Hubby failed to solder last one
that went this way. So I posted here. Loadsa replies disparaging husbands
skill.

Here's my last post on the subject

[snip long thread of advice]

As others have said, do not rely on the thin wires or the solder for any
mechanical strength at all. If you can, try to add some reinforcement
before gluing, possibly using very small cable ties and plastic or
wooden "splints".

Then follow-up with the adhesive-lined heatshrink tubing, which will
partially melt the glue underneath and make a very strong bond.

That's about the best it can be bodged.

Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and loadsa
tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell that lot on
uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s", "don't know how
to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Hee hee hee. Much hilarity.

Suzanne

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Suz wrote:
I getting great entertainment from my last post "Solder and
conductivity"

In short, broken power cable to laptop. Hubby failed to solder last
one that went this way. So I posted here. Loadsa replies
disparaging husbands skill.

[snip]

Just out of interest Watt :-) is the wattage rating of the soldering iron?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Suz wrote:
[...]

if the connectors a special, cant it be changed to something standard?
The a robust long lived safe lead is no prob.

NT

neil

"Suz" wrote in message
[...]

just a thought ...
would it be any good (now you have a decent connection)
to chop the cable a few inches away from the problematic joint
and insert a more robust (and replaceable) connector to actually
provide the power-supply disconnection facility ?
The 'bodged' wire and joint can then be taped / glued permanently
to the laptop.
2p worth
Neil

Dark Angel

"Suz" wrote in message...
Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and
loadsa tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell
that lot on uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s",
"don't know how to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Instead of spending your time on these newsgroups poking fun at your
husband, why aren't you in the kitchen making his tea, doing the dishes and
ironing his shirts for him?

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Grunff

Suz wrote:

Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and loadsa
tape.

That's just not good...

Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell that lot on
uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s", "don't know how
to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Hmmmm...

Gotta say, not really very surprised it keeps failing ;-)

There's a right way of doing this type of repair, and lots and lots of
wrong ways. Sounds like he's working his way through the wrong ways.

Tip: tape doesn't provide much mechanical protection; it's a good
insulator, but that's about it.

Hee hee hee. Much hilarity.

How are /your/ soldering skills? Maybe it's time you had a go.

--
Grunff
Suz

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message...
Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and
loadsa tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell
that lot on uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s",
"don't know how to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Instead of spending your time on these newsgroups poking fun at your
husband, why aren't you in the kitchen making his tea, doing the dishes
and ironing his shirts for him?

Now that really is a:
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror"

raden

In message , Suz
writes
I getting great entertainment from my last post "Solder and conductivity"

Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell that lot on
uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s",

So he saw the bukake subthread then ...

--
geoff
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Dark Angel wrote:
"Suz" wrote in message...
Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and
loadsa tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only
tell that lot on uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly
"******s", "don't know how to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Instead of spending your time on these newsgroups poking fun at your
husband, why aren't you in the kitchen making his tea, doing the
dishes and ironing his shirts for him?

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide
1955)!

Do you like being so masterful?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Séan Connolly

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

Just in case someone hasn't seen it:

http://static.flickr.com/25/40565750_4e96393842_o.jpg

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Dark Angel wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message...
Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and
loadsa tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell
that lot on uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s",
"don't know how to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Instead of spending your time on these newsgroups poking fun at your
husband, why aren't you in the kitchen making his tea, doing the dishes and
ironing his shirts for him?

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

I know that one as "A woman's place is in the kitchen".

Not only that but "A man's place is in the wrong".

--
Mike Barnes
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)

Grunff wrote:

How are /your/ soldering skills? Maybe it's time you had a go.

Excellent point.

Bloody women are all too good at being all knowing and telling blokes
how things should be done, yet in reallity, most of them cant actually
operate the washing machine correctly, they just fudge their way around
a random selection of the controlls.

whereas..... blokes deliberately do a crap job of hoovering, ironing,
washing dishes and other traditional womans chores so as not to get
asked (moaned at) in the future.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Rob Morley

In article , october2005
@mikebarnes.fsnet.co.uk says...
In uk.d-i-y, Dark Angel wrote:

"Suz" wrote in message...
Hubby has bodged it in some mysterious way that involves splints and
loadsa tape. Won't tell me what's underneath because "you'll only tell
that lot on uk-d-i-y" and went off muttering bad temperedly "******s",
"don't know how to solder indeed", and "get a life".

Instead of spending your time on these newsgroups poking fun at your
husband, why aren't you in the kitchen making his tea, doing the dishes and
ironing his shirts for him?

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

I know that one as "A woman's place is in the kitchen".

Not only that but "A man's place is in the wrong".

If a man said something in the middle of a forest, and there wasn't
anyone there to hear him, would he still be wrong?

There are only two things wrong with men - everything they say, and
everything they do.

When God created man ... she was only joking.

:-)
Geoffrey

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:38:51 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

When God created man ... she was only joking.

Not joking, practising. Second time around she got it right.

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.

Dark Angel

"Séan Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message ...
Just in case someone hasn't seen it:
http://static.flickr.com/25/40565750_4e96393842_o.jpg

Yes, that's the one!

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:53:01 +0000 (UTC), "Dark Angel"
wrote:

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

You missed out half the quote - it continued "...just beneath the 3rd
rib is the best spot"
Andy Champ

Grunff wrote:
Tip: tape doesn't provide much mechanical protection; it's a good
insulator, but that's about it.

Yes, but it does stop her looking underneath and telling us about it!

Andy
Suz

"Séan Connolly" mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message
Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

Just in case someone hasn't seen it:

http://static.flickr.com/25/40565750_4e96393842_o.jpg

"Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." ROTFLMAO

Bob Eager

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:24:51 UTC, "Séan Connolly"
mrcATseanDASHconnollyDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

Remember, "A good wife always knows her place." (houskeeping guide 1955)!

Just in case someone hasn't seen it:

http://static.flickr.com/25/40565750_4e96393842_o.jpg

WARNING: Also see:

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm

Dark Angel

"Suz" wrote in message...
"Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." ROTFLMAO

Most importantly...

"Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or
integrity. Remember he is the master of the house and as such will exercise
his will. You have no right to question him!"

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
"Dark Angel's Realm of Horror" - http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk
"Realm of Horror Radio" - http://www.live365.com/stations/313834

Suz

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message...
"Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." ROTFLMAO

Most importantly...

"Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or
integrity. Remember he is the master of the house and as such will
exercise his will. You have no right to question him!"

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

What a pity it's all an urban legend though, it would have been unbelievable
if it was true!

Suzanne

Andy Hall

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 19:33:43 +0100, "Suz" wrote:

"Dark Angel" wrote in message

"Suz" wrote in message...
"Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him." ROTFLMAO

Most importantly...

"Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgement or
integrity. Remember he is the master of the house and as such will
exercise his will. You have no right to question him!"

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

What a pity it's all an urban legend though, it would have been unbelievable
if it was true!

Suzanne

But it is true.

Some while ago, I was on a shuttle from Heathrow to Aldergrove, and
Ian (The Ian) was on there. He said that this was the case, so it
must be right.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Suz" saying
something like:

What a pity it's all an urban legend though, it would have been unbelievable
if it was true!

Actually, it rings a bell. My brother picked up a Victorian household
management book with just such kind of stuff in it.

Other areas covered were first aid - by crackey, they had some deadly
cures then; and the book warned against sending daughters to further
education as it would be a waste of time since women's brains weren't
suited for it.
--

Dave
Stephen Gower

Grimly Curmudgeon spamtrap_dont_use wrote:
I remember "Suz" saying something like:

What a pity [1950s How to be a Good Wife article is] all an urban
legend though, it would have been unbelievable if it was true!

Actually, it rings a bell. My brother picked up a Victorian household
management book with just such kind of stuff in it.

Other areas covered were first aid - by crackey, they had some deadly
cures then; and the book warned against sending daughters to further
education as it would be a waste of time since women's brains weren't
suited for it.

If you actually have a copy of this book, then the people at Snopes
would like to hear from you:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm
--
Selah

Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Gower
saying something like:

Other areas covered were first aid - by crackey, they had some deadly
cures then; and the book warned against sending daughters to further
education as it would be a waste of time since women's brains weren't
suited for it.

If you actually have a copy of this book, then the people at Snopes
would like to hear from you:
http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.htm

Gawd nose where it is now; my brother bought it as a curiousity and it
kicked around for ages, but I haven't seen it for years.
--

Dave