Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Veritas or Lie-Nielsen?

I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?
sku=60_5) OR

Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/
wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942)

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 9:44*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. *I
want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?
sku=60_5) * OR

Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/
wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942)

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Sorry about the link wrap problem.

Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/6/2010 8:46 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:
On May 6, 9:44 pm,
wrote:
I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Lie-Nielsen adjustable mouth (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?
sku=60_5) OR

Veritas DX60 adjustable mouth block plane (http://www.leevalley.com/US/
wood/page.aspx?p=61963&cat=1,41182,48942)

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Sorry about the link wrap problem.

Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536

As supremely cool as that Veritas plane is (I don't own one, but I've tried it
out at a woodworking show), I have one nagging problem with it: it's too
friggin' heavy! Normally, "heavy" is a desirable attribute in a hand plane,
but I have a lot of block planes, and I use them a LOT, but I just don't like
them if they're too heavy. My very favorite block plane is a good old vintage
Stanley 60-1/2; it's a dream to use and it's probably the lightest of the
bunch. The Lie-Nielsen 60-1/2 is of course a modern day (and much improved)
replica of the Stanley, but I'd wager it's quite a bit heavier than the
Stanley. I've only just held (and never tried) the Lie-Nielsen so I don't know
how heavy it feels in actual USE compared to the Veritas, but I'd be surprised
if it didn't feel lighter.

Regarding the Stanley 60-1/2, I think it's the *size* and form-factor that
draws me to it perhaps as much as its light weight; I just love how that plane
feels! Because of that same form-factor (and in spite of my concerns about
their weight), I think you've picked two very good candidates for
consideration. As much as I love the design and engineering effort that went
into creating the Veritas, I think my personal preference would be to stick
with the more traditional design of the Lie-Nielsen.

If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might
try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you
DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I only one one hand plane, a Veritas #4 smooth plane and I LOVE it. I
want to buy a block plane and I am either going with:

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Sorry about the link wrap problem.

Lie-Nielsen: http://tinyurl.com/5zkheh
Veritas: http://tinyurl.com/26m4536

I think you'd be very happy with either, but that style of the Veritas would
be the deal maker for me. Do they take trade ins? I like my Veritas low
angle, but if I peeked at that catalog page the day I get my Christmas
bonus, I'd probably click the "buy now" button.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

I've got the Lie-Nielson and can say it's a very fine tool.

No experience with the Veritas.

-Zz

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Amen, Bruddah! I keep mine in the truck, and it sports a beefy ol'
Ron Hock iron, too. A rusty old nail-finder of a #4 Satanley is in
the truck, too, for larger rough work.

If you do think the extra heft of these planes would be bothersome, you might
try snagging an old Stanley 60-1/2 on eBay. Hell, snag one anyway, even if you
DO get one of these other planes; I guarantee you'll find a use for it.

I second that. Multitudinally useful.

--
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian,
or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up
Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyone out there with experience with any of these or both?

Of course, there's always this one too:

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/Produ...le+Block+Plane
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

I couldn't have said it better. As I was reading the original post I
was thinking I still prefer my old Millers Falls 56? (60 1/2 style
not sure of the model #) to my Lie-Nielsen. I hate to say this after
spending the money, but the Millers Falls is a bit lighter and much
nicer in the hand, especially if I am using it for a while. If I had
to pick between the two... less is more.

HTH,
Jeffo