Hal H

Default response to KCET The New Yankee Workshop with Norm

the following is my response to the letter from KCET (local pbs station
in Los Angeles) informing me that NTW and TOH are no longer in their line-up
guess I'm a bit peeved
Hal

Dear Mr. Zachary,
Perhaps you could explain the logic of this decision? KCET offers little
else that I might find even remotely interesting, certainly most of the
programming is vapid and inane, yet KCET asks me to support public
broadcasting in a never ending barrage of shrill begging, sounding much
like a nest full of fledgling sparrows. I know I am not alone in my
feelings, a quick perusal though the many postings of newsgroups such as
rec.woodworking and others should enlighten you. There is a market for
programs such as these, unfortunately KCET lacks the necessary wisdom
and vision to give me and others of like mind what we could or would
support.
Copies of this email will be forwarded to PBS as well as to the
newsgroups and web sites I frequent.
H. Hanevik

Bohdan Zachary wrote:

Dear Mr. Hanevik,

Thank you for your note.

"The New Yankee Workshop" as well as "This Old House" are no longer in
the
KCET Saturday afternoon schedule. There are no plans to air the two
series.

Best,

Bohdan Zachary
KCET
Director, Broadcast & Pledge Programming
323-953-5440

Lew Hodgett

"Hal H" writes:

the following is my response to the letter from KCET (local pbs station
in Los Angeles) informing me that NTW and TOH are no longer in their

line-up
guess I'm a bit peeved
Hal

I have also responded. Contact me off list if you would like a copy.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Lew Hodgett

As you can see, the following post was sent directly to KCET Management.

Dave Balderstone

In article m, Mark &
Juanita wrote:

Why do you believe that wage-earners should be forced to pay part of
their earnings to subsidize others' recreational viewing desires at the
force of the government's tax system?

Ayup. How is PBS really any different from a magazine? If you want to
subscribe, subscribe.

--
It's probably time to change my sig line, eh?
Kevin Singleton

Agreed.

Kevin
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article m, Mark &
Juanita wrote:

Why do you believe that wage-earners should be forced to pay part of
their earnings to subsidize others' recreational viewing desires at the
force of the government's tax system?

Ayup. How is PBS really any different from a magazine? If you want to
subscribe, subscribe.

--
It's probably time to change my sig line, eh?

RWM

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

What was the goal of this email? I hope that it was to vent, and not to
really try to get the show back on. Local PBS affiliates rank fund raising
very high, and I think that most GM's put it higher than ratings. By
stating early in the message that you will NEVER give money I believe that
you alienated the recipient and eliminated any chance of making your point.

Bob

George

"Free bandwidth?" You mean after the auction and licensure? Then there's
the corporate taxes paid, the wages (and their taxes) paid to employees,
and, of course, the value to society of the actual service. If the "owner"
of that bandwidth hadn't sold it, none of the above would pertain, there
would be only another money pit like PBS.

Oh yes, in addition to the out and out allocation, PBS keeps tax dollars
from flowing to state and federal coffers through direct credits and
deductions for contributions.

"p_j" wrote in message
.. .
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Why do you believe that wage-earners should be forced to pay part of
their earnings to subsidize others' recreational viewing desires at the
force of the government's tax system?

Are you talking about the Bush subsidies throught the ONDCP and others?
Or perhaps you mean the massive multi-billion dollar subsidy to
broadcasters in the form of free bandwidth? I could go on with numerous
other examples.

Pounds on Wood

Not lately. Have you checked if they will still be running them? At least
the last two weeks now they have had some other crap on.

--
********
Bill Pounds

"Yahoo" wrote in message
om...
I live in the LAX area, fortunately we get KOCE(Orange County PBS)
thru Comcast and it airs NYWS,ATOH,TOH and Home Time beginning at 3:30
Saturdays.

Mike Iglesias

In article m,
Pounds on Wood wrote:
Not lately. Have you checked if they will still be running them? At least
the last two weeks now they have had some other crap on.

I checked KOCE's web site, and they've been airing them during the week
in the early afternoon. They're going to start showing them on the weekends
again starting this weekend. If you weren't watching (or taping) them
during the week, you're a few weeks behind like me. TOH is on their
next project in Bermuda in the show this weekend.

They used to just stop showing NYW and TOH during pledge time, and
start up where they left off after they finished begging.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Pounds on Wood

Yea, I checked too, and they are on the schedule this week, although an hour
earlier than normal. I wondered if that was a software glitch due to the
time change this weekend. But probably not. I wish they would not move the
time up and hour. 3:00 is too early to turn my shop lights off.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop

"Mike Iglesias" wrote in message
I checked KOCE's web site, and they've been airing them during the week
in the early afternoon. They're going to start showing them on the

weekends
again starting this weekend. If you weren't watching (or taping) them
during the week, you're a few weeks behind like me. TOH is on their
next project in Bermuda in the show this weekend.

They used to just stop showing NYW and TOH during pledge time, and
start up where they left off after they finished begging.

--
Mike Iglesias Email:

University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069

Mark & Juanita

At the risk of getting muddy ...

In article ,
says...
Mark & Juanita wrote:

leftist anti-Bush rant with no content

Rightist and you know it.

Your comments weren't even to the right of Mao Tse Tung.

Of course you had to edit it, because the content contradicted the
utterly pathetic talk radio drivel about PBS. Oh, and it pointed out
your stand in faver of subsidised housing for the wealthy, subsidised
children, etcetera ad infinitum.

Huh? Do you even have a clue what you are saying? You are again
iterating the idea that letting people keep the fruits of their labors
by not taking it away from them in the form of taxes is somehow
"subsidizing" them. You think that is a "right-wing" idea? How about
instead of "right", "left", "liberal", or "conservative" we identify it
for what it really is, "statist" -- the idea that the government is the
provider of solutions and has first dibs on all wealth and labor,
whatever is left is from the benevolence of that government that they
let you keep that much.

Besides, you keep arguing that the founding fathers were wrong about
just about everything.

No, don't believe I have ever come even close to saying that, exactly
the opposite is really the case.

That's the PC thing to say, but every political post contradicts you,
including your silly whining about PBS.

OK p_j, point out exactly where in the constitution Congress is given
the power to take from one group of people and give to another. Where
is the idea of a public information system (aside from the establishment
of the Post Office) established by the government and supported by
taxpayers? Exactly the opposite ideas were espoused by the framers of
the constitution, this is abundantly evident in the writings in the
federalist and anti-federalist papers, and by various congressional
proceedings at or about the establishment of the US. The founders were
very concerned about an encroaching federal government and sought to
limit its power and influence. A posting of a speech to congress
regarding the inappropriateness of using the peoples' money for a
charitable cause was given in this forum several months ago.

Show me where in the constitution, the federalist or anti-federalist
papers or other writings of the founders that your positions are their
intent. Show where in their writings they would support the idea of
limiting the ability of groups of people to pool money to present
political ideas and political speech some arbitrary number of days
before an election.

--

"The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will
occur when government falls into the hands of the lending institutions