Ralph D.

Default quality brands for auger bit

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance. The bit will be used to
drill rebar pilot holes in pressure treated wood for retaining walls
and also to drill pilot holes in soft and hardwood tree stumps for
inserting decay accelerant compounds. Forgive me if I am a bit off
topic for the woodworking group, but I figured that this group could
help even if I am not being very creative with my woodwork.

Ralph
Charlie Self

Ralph D asks:

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance.

Check the Irwin web site. They have ship augers that are 18" long, plus
installer's and other bits that may also serve your purpose--they even make a
maple sugar tapping bit. Bosch carries ship augers, but they appear to be
shorter, and there is no length listed.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
Lew Hodgett

Ralph D asks:

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance.

Finding a 1/2" x 18" auger is probably going to be a bit tricky.

Talk to Jamestown Distributors (V)800-423-0030, they have Fuller.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Chipper Wood

Check this site for information on uses and as to what types are
available/prices.

http://advantage-drillbits.com/auger.html
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work

"Ralph D." wrote in message
om...
I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance. The bit will be used to
drill rebar pilot holes in pressure treated wood for retaining walls
and also to drill pilot holes in soft and hardwood tree stumps for
inserting decay accelerant compounds. Forgive me if I am a bit off
topic for the woodworking group, but I figured that this group could
help even if I am not being very creative with my woodwork.

Ralph

Thomas Kendrick

Ralph,
I recommend that you match the drill motor to the length of the
auger. Most 1/2-inch CORDED drills, such as a Milwaukee, DeWalt,
Bosch, etc. available in home centers should be able to handle a 7-8"
auger and give decent performance.
Once the length extends from 17" and up, it is advisable to
consider a drill motor such as the Milwaukee Hole Hawg, Milwaukee
Super Hawg, DeWalt DW124K and the Makita DA4031. Lesser drills are
prone to bog down at full penetration and may not be able to back out
the auger. These units are available for rent at reasonable daily
prices if $200-$350 purchase price is a bit steep to own one.
Tom

Ralph D asks:

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance.

Thomas Kendrick

Try http://www.shopfox.biz/D2196_2222.cfm for 9" and 18" augers in
1/2" diameter.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 03:20:17 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Ralph D asks:

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance.

Finding a 1/2" x 18" auger is probably going to be a bit tricky.

Talk to Jamestown Distributors (V)800-423-0030, they have Fuller.

HTH

Lew Hodgett

"TeamCasa" writes:
Klien -
http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/53434.html

So where is the 1/2" x 18" bit?

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

tecwhiz

I bought the Irwin ship auger and used it to drill thru 6x6 posts with 4
inch beams. 5/8 " bit The milwaukee 18v 1/2 cordless drill I used went
thru post and beam easily. It is a great product. About $30 at lowes.
"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Ralph D asks:

I am looking for some advice on what companies have the best
reputation for ship auger bits that can be used with a portable drill
with a 1/2-inch shank. Any suggestions on specific models and how to
order would be most appreciated.

I am looking for a 1/2-in dia bit that is in the 18-36 inch length
range. I would like to keep it under $50, but would consider up to
$100 for drastically superior performance.

Check the Irwin web site. They have ship augers that are 18" long, plus
installer's and other bits that may also serve your purpose--they even

make a
maple sugar tapping bit. Bosch carries ship augers, but they appear to be
shorter, and there is no length listed.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas

TeamCasa

Sorry - 9/16" is the smallest.

So where is the 1/2" x 18" bit?

Lew Hodgett

"TeamCasa"writes:

Sorry - 9/16" is the smallest.

Which is why I suggested he may have a problem finding a 1/2" x 18" bit in
the first place.

Think it may be a special.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Charlie Self

Lew Hodget states:

"TeamCasa"writes:

Sorry - 9/16" is the smallest.

Which is why I suggested he may have a problem finding a 1/2" x 18" bit in
the first place.

Think it may be a special

Irwin lists 1/4", 5/16", etc. on up to 1-1/2". These are for hand braces, but
can be converted fairly easily, though if conversion is done, a very, very,
very slow speed is essential.

The site contains info on where to buy as well.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
TeamCasa

He is drilling holes for rebar. Not all that special. He might like having
a touch more room. I have used these bits and they are superior to others.
In addition, you can sharpen them by hand very easily.

Dave

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

"TeamCasa"writes:

Sorry - 9/16" is the smallest.

Which is why I suggested he may have a problem finding a 1/2" x 18" bit in
the first place.

Think it may be a special.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures